Plans to upgrade to Win 7 64-bit from 32-bit Win XP

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Big.Doc.D, Jul 18, 2009.

  1. Big.Doc.D

    Big.Doc.D Guest

    I bought a full 64-bit capable machine a couple of years ago, and the
    Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta seems to say that I won't have too many
    problems if I install the 64-bit Win 7. I say "seems to say" because
    in some instances it suggests I check the manufacturers web-site.
    Have any of you ever tried to find any kind of technical answer on the
    HP web-site (for example)?

    I originally bought a copy of Win V-Ultimate but it's still sitting on
    my bookshelf in it's container, unopened, since I continued to see so
    much associated problems, even after Service Packs were available. I
    certainly hope Microsoft does a better job with Win 7. I'm a retired
    IT type, so I always knew to wait until after at least SP1 to install
    a new O/S release, but, as I say, with all the bashing in the
    technical journals (mainly) I've so far stayed away from installing V-
    Ult. Now, I'm glad I did because I see that V-Ult can only be
    upgraded to 7-Ult - what a rip-off.

    I have a few problems, however. I realize that to go from XP to 7
    requires a complete re-load, and Microsoft says they're supplying a
    file save/restore capability pre/post. Will it work if I move from my
    XP to 7-64-bit?

    Will Win 7-64-bit allow older 32-bit apps to run under it? Including
    DOS-based apps? Is Microsoft Office available in 64-bit form? Will
    those files be properly converted?

    As you can see I think I'll probably still be continuing to run Win XP
    for sometime to come. Any comments/suggestions? Can any Microsoft
    technical types answer any of these questions ahead of time (marketing
    types please do not respond)?

    Big.Doc.D, Jul 18, 2009

  2. Big.Doc.D

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    No current releases of Office are 64-bit native.
    The upcoming Office 2010 will have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
    In the meantime you can run Office 2007 or 2003 (32-bit) on top of Windows 7
    64-bit with no issues.
    Older 32-bit applicactions will work in Windows 7 unless:
    1.- They have 16-bit installers
    2.- They require 32-bit drivers to work

    So, most of your older apps should work

    DOS applications are 16-bit so they won't run.
    You will need some third party application like a Virtual Machine or the
    small and freeware DOSBox (http://www.dosbox.com/) to create an environment
    where you can run DOS apps.

    Windows XP has in its Accessories an utility for transferring files and
    settings to newer installations. I have never used it though many in this
    forum have.

    Best of luck and welcome to the 64-bit world!
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 18, 2009

  3. Big.Doc.D

    Jerry Guest

  4. Big.Doc.D

    Jane C Guest

    All 64 bit operating system questions are welcome here in this
    newsgroup. Including Windows 7.

    Jane C, Jul 18, 2009
  5. Big.Doc.D

    Carlos Guest

    Jerry,
    General consensus (i.e.: this NG regulars) is to accept Win 7 x64 posts.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 18, 2009
  6. Yup. Even the "regulars" who disappear for two weeks at a time.

    (back now - was on vacation and had far worse connectivity than I expected,
    so had to pass on NGs for a bit. I was going through serious withdrawal, but
    should be able to recover now that I can get my fix again.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 20, 2009
  7. Big.Doc.D

    Carlos Guest

    Far worse connectivity. Something your wife must have enjoyed during vacations!
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 20, 2009
  8. Big.Doc.D

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Charlie:
    Welcome back.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Win-7 RC

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4261 (20090720) __________

    http://www.eset.com

    Dennis Pack, Jul 20, 2009
  9. Heck no, she was trying to get online too. (I married a geek. Didn't know it
    at the time, but turns out she's online more than I am!) But two of the
    hotels had abominable wireless, and then her aunt's place was hopeless. So I
    managed to read a few emails a day, but that was it. Gave up trying to read
    the NGs.

    But it's good to be back.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 21, 2009
  10. thanks. feels good to be home. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 21, 2009
  11. Big.Doc.D

    Jerry Guest

    What you say may be true but I've found many more answers to Win7 64-bit
    questions in the forum I mentioned than I ever found here.

    Jerry, Jul 21, 2009
  12. Big.Doc.D

    David Guest

    If you use MS Office Onenote, there is not Send to OneNote printer driver
    for x64. and thus this function will not work on an x64 OS. This is fixed
    for Office 2010.

    David, Jul 21, 2009
  13. I can't imagine I'll be upgrading to Office 2k10, since I'm still running
    Office 2k3 here, except for OneNote.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 22, 2009
  14. Big.Doc.D

    XS11E Guest

    Examples?

    XS11E, Jul 22, 2009
  15. Big.Doc.D

    Jerry Guest

    Go to the forum and check out for yourself; I am not going to post hundreds
    of questions and answers just because you ask for an example.

    Jerry, Jul 22, 2009
  16. Big.Doc.D

    XS11E Guest

    I asked because I've never found one answer, let alone hundreds, on the
    forums that wasn't available here.

    XS11E, Jul 23, 2009
  17. Big.Doc.D

    Carlos Guest

  18. Big.Doc.D

    Big.Doc.D Guest

    Thank you for your answer Carlos - I guess it's time I convert that
    one DOS app I have. I appreciate the fact that you didn't post a
    bunch of childish garbage like so many responses on here have.

    Big.Doc.D, Jul 27, 2009