    Sorry to hear about that. I had a similar problem once, and had to go
    back to the masters on DVD. At least they were readable.....

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 18, 2006

  2. It's a pity - that was the system I wanted so not "an example". I was
    also considering Windows XP 64, but didn't consider it quite mature enough
    (and Vista is close).
    I agree that limitations should be documented. Microsoft give a 4GB limit
    for Windows XP Professional here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

    As I understand it, the restriction only applies to dual-core processors
    (which were not around when I first bought XP).

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 18, 2006

  3. Garrot

    Garrot Guest

    In other words you are full of shit.

    Garrot, Oct 18, 2006
  4. Garrot

    Garrot Guest

    And that somehow makes the Mac magically faster? I posted the numbers
    comparing the two and I see nothing in it that shows the Mac as being
    faster on the same hardware. Maybe I'll get Myth Busters to do an episode
    on this issue so we can put you Mac bozo's to bed for good. Fact still
    remains though that you Mac users are sandal wearing pussies being handheld
    by big brother and PC users like to get under the hood and design their own
    PC to their own spec.

    Garrot, Oct 18, 2006
  5. Garrot

    Doug Robbins Guest

    I dunno. The local computer chop shop built me a custom PC with an ASUS
    motherboard. About 6 months later the MB developed a problem and had to be
    replaced under warranty. Exact same model. The notion that this is a "new
    PC" and I'm obligated to by another copy of the OS must be the fantasy of
    someone on crack.

    Doug

    Doug Robbins, Oct 18, 2006
  6. Garrot

    Garrot Guest

    Then why are you even responding? You're too easy to manipulate and no
    challenge. Bye.

    Garrot, Oct 18, 2006
  7. You said they used the same hardware...and they don't. They may be
    similar, but not exactly the same.

    So, you go have fun with your overclocked AMD and remember to keep your
    anti-virus and anti-spyware programs updated...and keep that firewall
    on...and make sure you have a few gigs of memory and more than one
    processor just to keep that bloated piece of shit Windows running.

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 18, 2006
  8. Garrot

    ASAAR Guest

    Who's easy? He got you to admit the obvious, that you're just
    another forgettable usenet troll.

    ASAAR, Oct 18, 2006
  9. Garrot

    Ray Fischer Guest

    In other words I have little time for ignorant bigots.

    Ray Fischer, Oct 18, 2006
  10. Garrot

    Bill Funk Guest

    How many products do you see that list what it *won't* do?

    Bill Funk, Oct 18, 2006
  11. Garrot

    ASAAR Guest

    Sony's Sonic Stage software for their audio products (CD, MD, mp3,
    etc.) has this for its system requirements:

    Operating System: Factory installed WinXP Media Center Edition,
    Win XP Pro, Win XP Home Edition, Win 2k Pro, Win ME and Win 98 SE.
    Note the "factory installed requirement". Also:
    Way to go, Vaio!

    ASAAR, Oct 18, 2006
  12. Garrot

    Guest Guest

    NEVER EVER load Sonic Stage as it will attempt to install a rootkit. Also,
    Sonic Stage is such a terrible program it's not worth using. Use Windows
    Media Player properly configured so it can't talk back to MS and you will
    have a winner.

    Rita

    Guest, Oct 18, 2006
  13. Garrot

    ASAAR Guest

    Are you sure about that? I've heard about Sony's rootkit, but
    AFAIK it was passed on to unsuspecting users who purchased certain
    audio CDs, not from the SSSoftware. BTW, too late. A couple of
    weeks ago I installed SS 2.0 for the first time (included with a
    portable CD I bought several years ago). I'd heard years ago that
    it was horrendously buggy, and sure enough, while processing the 2nd
    or 3rd CD it caused XP to reboot. I then downloaded and installed
    version 4, and it hasn't caused any problems. Yet. I try to avoid
    using Windows Media Player, but do use it to watch purchased DVDs.
    I *may* have it configured properly to keep it from phoning home,
    since ZAPro hasn't caught it trying to do so. But I usually get at
    least one attempt per reboot by Windows Messenger to try to monitor
    keyboard and mouse activity. Not having any MS apps. installed or
    used other than Explorer, which is rarely used, I suppose it's just
    due to Billy's inquisitiveness, or maybe that of his demonic cherub,
    Ballmer.

    ASAAR, Oct 18, 2006
  14. Why? All the other programs (e.g. Real Player, QT) are incredibly rude and
    obnoxious in a variety of different ways. By comparison, Media Player is
    quite civilized.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Oct 18, 2006
  15. Garrot

    ASAAR Guest

    Because I prefer using other apps for viewing, listening, ripping,
    transferring, etc. Compared to most of them, WMP is bloated and
    takes far longer to load. But as I said, I use it to view DVDs.
    Real Player on the other hand was one of the new computer's bundled
    apps that I chose to *not* install, yet some "real" code vainly
    tries to phone home once every so often. If I ever decide to
    purchase some DRM'd music/vocal files I might give WMP more
    opportunities, but I've got a bunch of free coupons for that stuff
    and haven't been tempted enough to download any of what they're
    pushing.

    ASAAR, Oct 19, 2006
  16. Garrot

    Alan Browne Guest

    I have never kept linux running for more than a month or two. Something
    would go wrong with the system and, ignorant of Linux, I would not be
    able to fix it. While admitedly less ignorant of MS products, I can
    with little detailed knowledge fix things or at least get around things
    to get the system up and running again. Not ever so for Linux. I
    certainly will not invest time learning enough of Linux to be able to
    fix things when they go wrong.

    Linux is great for those who have the knowledge (usually gotten recently
    in school or as part of work) and time to fix things when they go
    boo-boo. I simply do not have that much time available.

    MS products can be frustrating for other reasons, but at least they are
    serviceably and can be maintained by the relatively ignorant.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Oct 19, 2006
  17. Garrot

    Alan Browne Guest

    Alan Browne, Oct 19, 2006
  18. Garrot

    Alan Browne Guest

    For clarity sake, did you buy another licence? I hope not. I dragged
    one licence over 3 motherboards and 1 major re-install... (same hard
    drive which is still going after 7 years of near daily use).

    Alan Browne, Oct 19, 2006
  19. Garrot

    Alan Browne Guest

    Funny how things are in Randall's world and the real world:

    "Apple Says Some iPods Shipped With Virus

    Apple Computer this week warned customers that some Video iPods sold
    over the past five weeks were shipped with a computer virus capable of
    infecting computers running Microsoft Windows and exposing them to
    attacks by hackers.

    Apple said the virus was embedded in less than 1 percent of the Video
    iPods available for purchase after September 12, 2006. Greg Joswiak,
    vice president of iPod product marketing at Apple, said the company
    traced the virus back to a Windows machine used to test iPod software in
    the manufacturing process."

    Ain't that funny Randall? Apple using "Windows" to test iPods?

    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2006/10/apple_ships_video_ipods_with_w.html

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Oct 19, 2006
  20. Ain't it funny that it's whoever is making the things for Apple that's
    doing the testing? And ain't it a scream that it's yet another Windows
    machine with a virus? Who'd a thunk it?

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 19, 2006