    now, but Apple really fumbled there for about 5 years while PCs got
    better hardware and Windows slowly improved.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Oct 26, 2006

  2. I wrote a life program in 32-bit Intel assembler that ran under a "DOS
    extender" under DOS in the very early 90s (it computes 28 cells in
    parallel). This was a major kludge. But, amazingly, it still runs under Win
    XP!
    It was even better than that. Some of us were using OS/2 while waiting for
    NT.

    But Windows NT was quite usable for real work at the point Win95 was
    released.

    Essentially, there have always been decent OSes to run on Wintel hardware.
    Heck, AT&T even had versions of AT&T Unix runnning on the 386 as early as
    1989.
    Windows NT was fine at 3.51 (I think that was the version; the version that
    had been out for a while when Win95 came out). Since I wasn't playing games,
    everything I was using for my SOHO system worked fine.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Oct 26, 2006

  3. Garrot

    ASAAR Guest

    I had a copy of SCO Xenix running on an XT clone that used an
    80186, IIRC (AT&T's PC6300, designed by Olivetti), probably some
    time in 1985. The Xenix that was installed came in boxes and boxes
    of 5 1/4" floppy disks), and installation was really very simple. As
    a Xenix/Unix novice, what was most difficult was trying to do things
    without being familiar with standard unix commands, such as trying
    to stop a spewing printer without knowing anything about the "kill"
    command.

    ASAAR, Oct 26, 2006
  4. Garrot

    Stewy Guest

    Sorry. I thought MS was just out their to make money, I hadn't realised
    they'd actually done something.
    Mac did seem to fumble for a good few years with those suits in charge
    who didn't really know a modem from a mouse.

    Time to try out Macs again especially if you're going to use it in a
    multi-language environment - WinXP fails miserably in that respect.

    I have an american, pre-Intel G4 iMac. Switching between Japanese and
    English menus is so simple and of course you can input Japanese (and
    Chinese for that matter) and get it to print. My poor 2.8ghz WinXP PC
    refuses to even consider non English characters.

    Stewy, Oct 29, 2006
  5. My XP box does both Hebrew and English. What's so hard about downloading
    and installing the language plug-in? Seems Mac users are getting lazier
    every day.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Oct 29, 2006
  6. MS does things, but they are rarely in the consumer's best interest.

    I ditched Windows 4 years ago and couldn't be happier.

    Newsgroup User, Oct 29, 2006
  7. Read "smarter" and avoiding stupid little tasks, and you'll be closer to
    the truth, as if that mattered to you.

    John McWilliams, Oct 29, 2006
  8. Hardly! Why would I want all that BLOAT from language packs that I'll never
    use? I don't speak Japanese of Mandarin so you have to commend Microsoft
    for keeping the OS streamlined and efficient. I only use Hebrew and
    English, screw the Chinese!

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Oct 29, 2006
  9. Garrot

    Ray Fischer Guest

    "Bloat"? Disk space is cheap. The space needed is trivial.
    And you'll never get a document that ever has any Japanese or Mandarin
    characters in it?
    ROFL! Why do you use Windows? Why don't you use the far more
    efficient C shell with a command-line interface?

    Ray Fischer, Oct 29, 2006
  10. Is that something new? A Microsoft operating system that's streamlined
    and efficient?

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 29, 2006
  11. Garrot

    Stewy Guest

    Is it just menus or word processing too? I'd have thought the right to
    left printing would have defeated most printers.

    Why go to the bother of downloading the stuff when it should be right
    there on the disc?

    MS won't give you something for nothing.

    Stewy, Oct 30, 2006
  12. Garrot

    Bill Funk Guest

    Are you serious?

    Bill Funk, Oct 30, 2006
  13. Garrot

    ASAAR Guest

    Stewy mused:
    He meant to say that right to left printing would have defeated
    most readers. If you *really* want to confuse those readers, give
    them something printed with a bidirectional printer. :)

    BTW & FWIW, early MSDOS PCs were able to both display and print
    languages such as Hebrew from right to left using the Nota Bene
    editor / wordprocessor. I'm not sure if Xywrite (which Nota Bene
    used for its editing engine) had that ability.

    ASAAR, Oct 30, 2006