    uniquely using the machine "for the rest of us". Time passes.
    They've been assimilated. Did you ever see (more than a decade ago)
    one of the computer magazine covers showing Billy G. as Borg? :)

    ASAAR, Oct 19, 2006

  2. Garrot

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Good question. What would we think of an auto manufacturer
    who produced cars that would not work on interstate highways,
    and didn't tell you that?

    The Pentiums around then could address up to 4 gigabtyes of
    memory. That was a given. Sadly, the operating system
    would NOT let you use all of it. Something like designing
    a computer that did not allow hard drives to be larger than
    a certain size -- and we all remember *those* days.

    That bit wasn't Microsoft's fault.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Oct 19, 2006

  3. Garrot

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Paul J Gans, Oct 19, 2006
  4. Garrot

    Garrot Guest

    Hey, you must be that pathetic dweeb in those pathetic Mac commercials on
    TV. People say I resort to flaming when I'm losing the argument. Isn't that
    *exactly* what Mac is doing in their TV ads? Hehe...losers.

    Garrot, Oct 19, 2006
  5. Garrot

    Garrot Guest

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 18:53:38 -0700, Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    o test iPods?
    If Mac had 90% of the market it would also have 90% of the virus's too.
    Your argument is really weak and pathetic. Same old shit you Mac boys
    always resort to.

    Garrot, Oct 19, 2006
  6. Garrot

    Garrot Guest

    Not only that but XP does the hardware allocation and not the bios.

    Garrot, Oct 19, 2006
  7. Garrot

    Garrot Guest

    So does XP.

    Garrot, Oct 19, 2006
  8. Garrot

    Garrot Guest

    You Mac dweebs started this shit so you only have yourselves to blame. I'll
    leave you now to tinker in your Photoshop while I go have some fun in a MP
    game.

    Garrot, Oct 19, 2006
  9. Garrot

    Garrot Guest

    Yes, Linux requires a good bit of researching to get it running how you
    like but once you are there it is great. Ubuntu is quite easy to get up and
    running and it has auto updates too.

    Garrot, Oct 19, 2006
  10. Alan,
    When did you last try? Linux has improved a lot
    over the last few users. I had one system up for
    over 2 years before I upgraded it. I currently have
    one system that has been up 242 days without a hitch
    (red hat workstation). Improvements include system
    admin tools as well as the x-windows interface.
    In the last 5+ years, the only problems I have
    had is with wakeup on an IBM laptop after closing
    the lid (redhat 7). I have multiple linux machines,
    from personal servers at home, to laptops and
    servers running spacecraft analysis systems,
    all running smoothly. That's compared to XP
    machines which go flaky after a week doing far
    less work.

    I agree that linux is not for the masses, but can be
    for the technically competent, with less learning
    than required a few years ago.

    Roger
    Windows: boot early, boot often.

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Oct 19, 2006
  11. Garrot

    Paul Allen Guest

    Windows on a desktop that's used by a person? Sorry, but you're
    dreaming. Windows has designed-in security flaws. No amount
    of "configuring" can fix them.
    That's a matter of opinion, I suppose. I've seen some really good
    stuff, some that worked "well enough", and some that was plain dreck.
    That's moot, though, since I'm not interested in running much of it.
    TaxCut ran adequately under WINE once about six years ago. It's a
    new program each year, and I haven't been able to get through the
    installer since then. It doesn't require Windows 98, by the way.
    Since it's completely new each year, it runs on whatever versions of
    Windows are current.
    You're beating a dead horse, but you make a mistake when you lump
    "Linux" in with Apple, Microsoft, camera makers, and so on. Linux
    is not a company that can have a policy on when it stops patching
    old versions. Sure, many Linux vendors set an end-of-life date for
    their products, but nobody is bound by those dates because anybody
    can fix bugs.

    In the case of my Win98 problem, Microsoft knew exactly what the
    problem was but chose not to actually fix it because they wanted
    me to drop $160 or so on a new copy of XP. Screwing me was a simple
    business decision for them. I moved on from that several years ago,
    but I don't run Windows if I can avoid it precisely because I don't
    like being screwed.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Oct 19, 2006
  12. Garrot

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Why is it funny? Apple's iTunes runs on Windows as well as Max OS and
    iPods can be used with Windows as well as with Macs.

    Ray Fischer, Oct 19, 2006
  13. Garrot

    Paul Allen Guest

    I don't understand why you keep sugar-coating it. This was not some
    minor compatibility issue that only affected certain hardware
    combinations. It was a bug that affected every machine with more
    than 512MB of RAM, and it caused the OS to crash. On some hardware,
    you could avoid the crash by instructing Windows to not use all of your
    RAM. Microsoft decided that it was in their interest to force thousands
    of their customers to upgrade to XP for real money rather than to fix
    their defective older OS. Well guess what? I don't think it's in my
    interest to buy *anything* from a company like that if I can help it.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Oct 19, 2006
  14. Garrot

    Ray Fischer Guest

    As opposed to you Windows bigots?

    Ray Fischer, Oct 19, 2006
  15. Paul Allen wrote:
    []
    Yes, I understand that Linux is not a company - I was asking about the
    attitude of the Linux vendors or even the open-source community towards
    fxing obsolete versions of software versus recommending upgrading to the
    new one.

    "Anybody can fix bugs" - so if your photo editor program fails, or a new
    RAW format comes out, you just dust off your C/C++ manual and, hey presto,
    software fixed. Not with many of today's digital camera users, I fear!
    Did you ask for a refund on your Windows purchase?

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 19, 2006
  16. Paul Allen wrote:
    []
    I'm judging by the very few reports here and by my own experience. One
    person (you) says there was a problem. Another person said it ran OK, and
    my own experience was that it ran OK (although that was a long time ago
    when I tested). So I am not convinced that "it affected every machine".

    The fix was not "not to use all of RAM", but to limit the size of the
    VCache (IIRC), programs could still use all of RAM.

    Did you ask Microsoft for a refund, or a free upgrade?

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 19, 2006
  17. Garrot

    cjcampbell Guest

    Windows viruses are Apple's fault? That's a bit twisted, isn't it?
    How else do you expect Apple to make sure that iPods will run on
    Windows machines? What, you don't think peripheral manufacturers should
    test their equipment for compatibility? But I suspect you knew that
    anyway and you are just baiting Randall. Stop it. Its not nice.

    cjcampbell, Oct 19, 2006
  18. Garrot

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    No it is not funny but proper business practice as any reputable company
    wants their product to work in all the usual environments (even if the
    environment is so dodgy).

    Neil Ellwood, Oct 19, 2006
  19. Garrot

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    And what a mess it makes of it.

    Neil Ellwood, Oct 19, 2006
  20. You're the loser, believing that Windows is something worthwhile.

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 19, 2006