    purchase video cards as they do not have the latest or the best.

    Would you agree with this? If so where do you go for your video card?

    Thanks!

    vbMark, Mar 31, 2006

  2. vbMark

    SgtMinor Guest

    In your case that would probably not be an issue.

    I bought my last video card from http://www.newegg.com/

    SgtMinor, Mar 31, 2006

  3. vbMark

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In vbMark spewed forth:
    Well, it's not like buying milk and bread - they don't spoil. What you want
    to do, is research to determine what board you want, then go shopping. Call
    or go online and see if they have it. If not, shop elsewhere. SgtMinor
    suggested www.newegg.com, I would as well, and I sometimes shop
    www.tigerdirect.com too. I've had good service from both lately.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 31, 2006
  4. I've never had a negative thing to say about Newegg until recently when
    they switched from FedEx as their default shipping company to UPS.
    They're still a good company but I can no longer rely on when the pkgs
    will arrive without paying extra for FedEx.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 31, 2006
  5. vbMark

    jeff Guest

    yea newegg has nice search features, you can search by how many
    pipelines the card has as well as brands/chipset/etc.

    stick with Nvidia, for brands I would say EVGA or BFG - both have
    lifetime warranties.

    don't get less than a 6800 if you are playing anything recent, go for
    a 7800 if you can afford it.

    you'll need to know if you need AGP or PCI-x, there is a new 7800 for
    AGP, but PCI-x is better/faster.

    don't compare model #'s between ATI and NVIDIA, 7800 GTX or the new
    7900 is the top tier and you won't get any better for consumer gaming.

    jeff, Mar 31, 2006
  7. vbMark

    jeff Guest

    what is the crap about them hidding a $10 charge for a magazine
    subscription? you can opt out and get your $10 back, but its
    difficult.

    also returning stuff isn't very fun, but not much harder than any
    other online return.

    jeff, Mar 31, 2006
  8. vbMark

    SgtMinor Guest

    Well, TT, you may want to take another look. This Better Business
    report is dated 3/31/2006:
    http://www.bbbsoutheastflorida.org/...omID=0633000027000500&ComName=TigerDirect.com

    or http://makeashorterlink.com/?R59C213EC

    SgtMinor, Mar 31, 2006
  9. From what I can tell, they don't charge you $10 for the magazine, they
    say it's built into the order at no charge. But since it's a $10 value,
    you can request a refund of what they didn't charge you. It *is* a
    confusing offer and seems like you're getting bamboozled, but I think
    it's probably legit.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 31, 2006
  10. vbMark

    philo Guest

    although i have heard some complains about tigerdirect...
    i've never had much of a problem with them.
    (just a little rebate confusion once)

    my most recent purchase, however, was from Monarch Computer
    and I was quite happy with their large stock, good prices and delivery

    philo, Mar 31, 2006
  11. I know TigerDirect used to have an abysmal reputation. There were court
    orders to stop deceptive marketing and customer service practices. But I
    thought they had turned themselves around in the last couple of years.
    When they first appeared on my radar screen I'd say they were getting
    probably a complaint or two for every order they received. Thanks for
    the link. Resellerratings.com seems to confirm the BBB story.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 31, 2006
  12. vbMark

    SgtMinor Guest

    I hadn't thought about looking at resellerratings.com. I came
    across the TigerDirect story on http://www.digg.com. It always
    helps to have a second opinion.

    SgtMinor, Mar 31, 2006
  13. vbMark

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In philo spewed forth:
    Same here - but that seems to have changed. I haven't bought anything from
    them in about 6 months.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 1, 2006
  14. vbMark

    Toolman Tim Guest