pixels / pixel size / sensor size

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by stu7, Apr 25, 2012.

  1. stu7

    stu7 Guest

    Ive been looking at pixels / pixel size / sensor size

    pixels are something every inexpensive digital camera
    seems to have a lot of.

    Next I see sensor size... so, question #1 is - how do
    these two relate ? Does sensor size necessarilly equate
    to larger pixels... couldnt the manufacturer just fill
    a larger sensor with cheap old small pixels ? : -)

    After reading some more, I decided the whole problem can
    be fixed with a simple trick... get one of the el-cheapo
    10 megapixel or greater P&S cameras... pump up the dpi to
    600 or 1200 dpi, and, youve got an image with four times
    the pixel size, yes ?

    I havent had time to test this yet... hopefully somebody
    will know if it could work.

    thanks for reading

    stu7, Apr 25, 2012

  2. Well, they're not cheaper or more expensive particularly, but yes, you
    can put a wide range of pixel counts on a given sensor size; the Nikon
    D700 puts 12 megapixels on a full-frame sensor, the D800 puts 36
    megapixels there.

    The sizes used on cell-phone cameras are, in practice, not used in
    full-frame DSLRs, though.
    No. DPI is a meaningless attribue of a digital image (it will influence
    default size for image placement in page layout programs, but that's
    about it).

    There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!

    David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 25, 2012

  3. Of the sensor? No. Nothing I know uses it that way.
    I certainly agree there.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 26, 2012
  4. stu7

    stu7 Guest

    *** to which BugBear responded ***
    First, let me thank David for the info about different
    pixel arrangements on full size sensors... thats so
    interesting.
    Now, rather than disagree about my second inquiry,
    regarding PPI... this is a bit funny really... David
    answered this correctly in my view... as did BugBear
    in his response, though there seems to be disagreement
    between them(!)... so perhaps I should clarify, that
    I had not imagined any quality of pixels-per-inch
    /but that/ it provided a means to visually condense
    more pixels into a smaller space, thus [approximating
    the effect] of larger pixels on larger sensors... or...
    squeezing more small pixels into the same space as
    fewer larger pixels occupy, is the best I can say it.

    Really, what I was looking for, and didnt ask about
    specifically, was for some kind of technical / qualitative
    definition of this effect... again... how many smaller
    weaker pixels grouped together might equal how many
    larger stronger pixels ?
    There are other qualities associable with pixel power...
    Ive seen the matter mentioned here a few times... basically,
    as regards how luminosity is recorded... pixel sensitivity
    maybe ?

    + +

    stu7, Apr 26, 2012
  5. That depends on the pixel size of each and what you define as
    "equal".
    Full well size?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Apr 30, 2012