    to get a decent 6x4 photo done up at the camera shop?
    Thanks
    Jo - Australia

    petal puss, Jun 10, 2004

  2. Depends...how good do you want it to look? How good are your eyes? The
    minimum I can't help you with. The maximum? Well...300 pixels per inch
    should be plenty for any usage I know of ....so 6x300 is 1800 and 4x300 is
    1200.

    Gene Palmiter, Jun 10, 2004

  3. petal puss

    Kakadu Guest

    I send my 300 dpi 6x4s to BigW for 47 cent prints and the quality is first
    rate. I believe (don't take my word for it) that you can send 200 dpi files
    and they come back just like mine do. The thing about 'real' photo printers
    is that they are continious tone. Basically it meand you get better quality
    at lower resolution. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you sent them 100
    dpi files, that they came back in sharp photos!

    Kakadu,
    A photographer's paradise

    Kakadu, Jun 10, 2004
  4. petal puss

    Bob Flint Guest

    Photo services usually ask for a minimum of 200 DPI for the best results. If you
    are picky, you want 300 DPI. The lowest you could use would probably be 100...
    go check out Staples I think they have a web photo service.

    I just printed a 330 DPI 6x4 and it looks great - better than what I used to get
    with film at the drugstore!

    Makes me wonder about those 4000 DPI printer claims....

    Bob Flint, Jun 10, 2004
  5. petal puss

    gsum Guest

    You need a 1mpixel image. Most printers print at about 150 ppi but
    labs ask for 200ppi:

    6*4*200*200 = 960,000 i.e. 1 mpixel.

    Graham

    gsum, Jun 10, 2004
  6. petal puss

    Don Stauffer Guest

    It depends quite a bit on subject. Normal recommendation is 200 - 300
    pixels per inch of print size. With some scenes/subjects you can even
    go below 200. Simple math- 6 , 4 x 200, 1200 x 800. Increasing to 1800
    x 1200 may get better results, depending on printer and again, subject
    material.

    Don Stauffer, Jun 10, 2004