PIX MailGuard "fixup protocol smtp" and Exchange Server?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by David K, Jan 8, 2004.

  1. David K

    David K Guest

    I've googled this one to death but cannot find the info I need. I
    have an IT user that is attempting to send and receive test email via
    Outlook Express to/from their ISP from within our internal network,
    which includes a (PIX 515 v6.3.3). This user can receive their test
    email via POP but cannot send via SMTP. I've found numerous articles
    discussing issues with M$ Exchange server / ESMTP and the Cisco PIX
    Mailguard feature (fixup protocol smtp 25) which I do have enabled. I
    do not know for sure if BellSouth is using Exchange but it seems
    likely given the fact that our Notes server and all clients inside and
    out are working fine traversing the same firewall. Microsoft's answer
    appears to be, turn off the PIX Mailguard feature (no fixup protocol
    SMTP 25) as noted here >

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320027

    Not willing to blindly follow the M$ sheeple, I have to wonder what if
    any security risk does turning off the PIX Mailguard create? Is there
    a better solution?

    Thx!

    David K, Jan 8, 2004

  2. David K

    Rik Bain Guest

    David,

    If the SMTP connection is from inside to outside, then the fixup should
    not come into play.

    -what does sniffer capture of the SMTP session attempt show?
    -relaying issue?
    -can you telnet to server on port 25 and issue commands?

    Rik Bain

    Rik Bain, Jan 8, 2004

  3. David K

    David K Guest

    Rik, et al,

    After posting this I was able to get a hold of a senior tech at
    BellSouth who told me that the problem is on their end. Apparently,
    they will not allow anyone to connect to their SMTP servers unless
    they originate from the BellSouth network which is an anti-spam/relay
    effort. Thanks for the response and sorry for the waste of
    bandwidth!! :)

    Regards,

    David K, Jan 9, 2004