PIX getting restarted every 8 hr

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Sou, Dec 15, 2005.

  1. Sou

    Sou Guest

    Hi all,
    I had bought a failover PIX unit (2 Pix's, one active and one
    standby) to our project 6 month back. Situation made me to use these
    two PIX's for 2 different projects. Both the pix's are in active
    configuration.

    Now the problem is the standby pix which is there in the active role is
    getting restarted at every 8 hours and not functioning as expected. All
    the time I need to restart and have to give "Failover Active"
    command specifically for make the PIX up.

    I do aware that the separate usage of standby Pix in the failover unit
    is not recommended by CISCO.

    Please give me a resolution if any...

    Thanks in advance...

    Sumesh T

    Sou, Dec 15, 2005

  2. Remove the serial failover cable and the failover state link between both
    devices. On the standby device enter the activation key for (un)restricted
    license. Very easy.

    Lutz Donnerhacke, Dec 15, 2005

  3. Sou

    Brian Guest

    Yeah, you're going to have to get a new activation key. Usage of a
    failover box as a standalone is a bit more that simply "not
    recommended." It's not allowed, and what you're seeing is exactly what
    should be happening.

    Brian, Dec 15, 2005
  4. Neither part of that last sentance are true.

    a) Using a failover box standalone *is* allowed. You buy failover
    pairs because you are concerned about hardware failures. If you do
    experience a hardware failure, then the primary box gets yanked out
    and repaired and replaced. During the time that the primary is gone,
    you are operating the failover box "standone". This is part of normal
    and expected function of the secondary box.

    There may be something "not allowed" about the OP's configuration, but
    you are going to have to specify the disallowed part more carefully
    than "standalone".

    b) What the OP is seeing is not -exactly- what should be happening.
    The OP is seeing restarts every 8 hours. A secondary PIX being operated
    standalone is documented to restart ever 24 hours. See sentance 9 of
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_v51/config/advanced.htm

    OP: see sentance 10 of the above URL for the reason for the boot
    behaviour.

    Walter Roberson, Dec 15, 2005