PIX 525 firewall and MySQL problem

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by writeson, Aug 1, 2005.

  1. writeson

    writeson Guest

    Hi all,

    Our network services group just installed a new Cisco PIX 525 firewall
    (software version 7.0.1) at one of our mirror sites. This system is
    working well, except in one case that I find baffling. All connections
    and protocols are working well except for MySQL throught the VPN back
    to our office. If we try to do activity like this:

    select * from table;

    over the VPN connection, the speed of that transaction becomes horribly
    slow to the point of failure. Our standard system is a RedHat
    Enterprise Linux machine running MySQL 3.23.58 which has run without a
    problem prior to the installation of the PIX firewall. We've tried
    installing MySQL on a Windows and Solaris machine and they exhibit the
    same problem. It seems to be related to the small packet size used by
    MySQL for the above select statement transaction. Table export/file
    imports in MySQL seem to work at a normal speed, it's only the small
    packets generated by the select statement that seem to be a problem.

    Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions I might recommend in order to
    address this problem?

    Thanks,
    Doug Farrell

    writeson, Aug 1, 2005