PIX 515 'PIX-1FE=' Problems

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Michael Kiessling, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I bought two PIX-1FE Interfaces for a PIX 515 and installed them. Now the
    PIX doesn't boot anymore - it hangs between Bios and PIX-OS!

    Example:

    Rebooting....
    Cisco Secure PIX Firewall BIOS (4.0) #0: Thu Mar 2 22:59:20 PST 2000
    Platform PIX-515
    Flash=i28F640J5 @ 0x300
    Use BREAK or ESC to interrupt flash boot. Use SPACE to begin flash boot
    immediately. Reading 1507840 bytes of image from flash.
    #############################################################################
    64MB RAM
    Flash=i28F640J5 @ 0x300
    BIOS Flash=AT29C257 @ 0xfffd8000
    mcwa i82559 Ethernet at irq 10 MAC: 0050.54ff.3772
    mcwa i82559 Ethernet at irq 7 MAC: 0050.54ff.3773

    It's not a hardware defect, because the interfaces are working with a PIX 515E...
    So, what could it be?

    Thanks in advance...
    Michael

    Michael Kiessling, Jul 6, 2004

  2. Hi Michael,

    I think the pix can only have one additional card in it, it can be either
    the 1- or 4-port pci card. Try taking one out and see if it works. If it
    does you need the 4-port edition.

    Regards,
    Jens

    Jens Galsgaard, Jul 12, 2004

  3. Michael Kiessling

    Dominic Guest

    Do you have the correct license key? There is a PIX 515 bundle that
    come only with only two physical interface.. at least that you upgrade
    this license.

    The command SH VER will show you the license key and maximum interface
    that you can install.

    Good luck,
    Dominic, CCNA&CSPFA (PIX Certified)

    Dominic, Jul 12, 2004
  4. :Do you have the correct license key? There is a PIX 515 bundle that
    :come only with only two physical interface.. at least that you upgrade
    :this license.

    :The command SH VER will show you the license key and maximum interface
    :that you can install.

    Good point, but as a side note, the Restricted bundle raised the limit
    on the 515/515E from 2 to 3 sometime back in the 5.1 timeframe (I don't
    recall the exact version.) But if you happened to be coming from really
    old software, you needed to get a new key to allow the use of the third
    interface.

    Walter Roberson, Jul 13, 2004
  5. Okay,

    let's have a look at my PIX:

    License: This PIX has an Unrestricted (UR) license.

    0: ethernet0: address is xxxx.xxxx.xxxx, irq 10
    1: ethernet1: address is xxxx.xxxx.xxxx, irq 7
    Licensed Features:
    Failover: Enabled
    VPN-DES: Enabled
    VPN-3DES-AES: Enabled
    Maximum Physical Interfaces: 6
    Maximum Interfaces: 10
    Cut-through Proxy: Enabled
    Guards: Enabled
    URL-filtering: Enabled
    Inside Hosts: Unlimited
    Throughput: Unlimited
    IKE peers: Unlimited

    I 'll try it with only one interface card an tell you the issue...

    Thanks a lot,
    Michael

    Michael Kiessling, Jul 13, 2004