PIX 506: what does "Throughput: Limited" mean?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Malcolm Dunnett, Oct 18, 2003.

  1. I recently bought a PIX 506 ( not a 506E) on Ebay.

    On the console output posted in the Ebay listing the
    show vers included:

    Throughput: Unlimited

    But when I boot this unit and do a show vers I see:

    Throughput: Limited

    What does "throughput limited/unlimited" imply? Is this
    something I need to change in the setup or did the
    seller lie in his listing?

    I see the ethernet ports on the 506 are only 10meg. I
    heard somewhere that this was a software limited thing
    and that newer versions of the software enabled them
    to run at 100meg - is there any truth to that rumour
    (this unit has 6.33 but still will only run at 10mb)

    Malcolm Dunnett, Oct 18, 2003