    and key. Even units under warranty have to open a TAC just to get somebody
    to post the image for individual download.

    So how 'bout it - is the firmware the same for the 501 and the 506?

    MyndPhlyp, Feb 11, 2004

  2. :Is the firmware for the PIX 501 and PIX 506 the same, or is there a special
    :version for each unit?

    The same.

    :I've got an old PIX 506 running v5.1(2) that I'd like
    :to get updated to v6.3(1). I have a new PIX 501 and the product CD with the
    :firmware images. It would be nice if I could use it to upgrade the PIX 506.

    :Besides, for some reason, Cisco has all their firmware upgrades under lock
    :and key. Even units under warranty have to open a TAC just to get somebody
    :to post the image for individual download.

    If you have a SmartNet contract on the 506 then your CCO account has
    access to download the PIX software without opening a case. If you
    don't have a SmartNet contract on the 506, chances are you do not have
    legal permission to do the upgrade.

    Walter Roberson, Feb 11, 2004

  3. MyndPhlyp

    MyndPhlyp Guest

    Thanx for the confirmation.

    <rant>It seems a lot to do about nothing, with respect to updating firmware
    on an out-of-support device. Every home unit I've ever had to deal with was
    provided with firmware updates with public download access and no need for
    service contracts. Even SonicWall's PITA policy about being a registered
    owner (which makes it a bit difficult if you inherit one of their units and
    the original owner is nowhere to be found) is relatively open for firmware
    updates. I wonder if Cisco is going to change the standing policy at LinkSys
    (who also has an open policy about firmware updates)?</rant>

    And thanx for listening to me vent.

    MyndPhlyp, Feb 11, 2004