    I recently heard that US Customs is fining people $10,000 per pirated
    CD/DVD they catch. Is this true? Does anyone know?

    thanks,,,

    dc, Jan 25, 2005

  2. dc

    Large Farva Guest

    How would they know a DVD is pirated? If it's checked as a 'gift' then what
    can they do about it?

    Large Farva, Jan 25, 2005

  3. dc

    dc Guest

    i think they can tell it's pirated if there are no holograms or certain
    things on it...or by the packaging...

    dc, Jan 25, 2005
  4. dc

    Large Farva Guest

    But who's to say it's pirated? If it's a GIFT it's not pirated, taking into
    consideration that pirating basically means that you copied a DVD and you
    are selling the copies.

    What if I'm making a copy of a DVD that my brother in the UK owns and I'm
    just mailing him a copy because he does not have a DVD burner? He owns the
    original, he's entitled to have a copy of it. That's not pirated.

    Maybe they're looking for something specific though. Perhaps lots of 10,000
    DVD's and not just one or two like I would send.

    Large Farva, Jan 26, 2005
  5. I think I know what dc stands for

    Chad Sexington, Jan 26, 2005
  6. dc

    RichA Guest

    If so, good. DVDs now cost about the same as decent lunch,
    so if people see the need to pirate them, $10,000 per copy
    seems reasonable! Of course, you get the DVDs seized as well.
    But look on the bright side pirates; At least (I think) they
    don't seize your car too!
    -Rich

    RichA, Jan 26, 2005
  7. dc

    Frohike Guest

    Don't know if this is true but I recently went thru customs at SFO with
    about a hundred pirated DVDs and CDs. They didn't give a shit. All they
    cared about was to make sure I didn't have any fresh fruit or certain kinds
    of food.

    Frohike, Jan 26, 2005
  8. dc

    Joe Blow Guest

    Huh? Since when is it illegal to burn a backup CD or DVD that
    you purchased legitimately?

    JB

    Joe Blow, Jan 26, 2005
  9. dc

    Gilgamesh Guest

    It depends what country you are in.
    I'm in Australia, here it is illegal to copy anything that is copyrighted
    even if you own a legitimate original.
    Technically it is also illegal to tape TV shows (other than live sports
    events) but that didn't stop the VCR sales.

    Gilgamesh, Jan 26, 2005
  10. dc

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    In most countries I think you will find that is not true. Distribution
    is the keyword, so burning copies to give away remains a breach of
    copyright. It is not necessary that the copies be sold.
    Once again, I think you will find that under UK law, that is a breach of
    copyright.
    Yes, I would agree there.

    Oldus Fartus, Jan 26, 2005
  11. dc

    Java Jive Guest

    I'm not a lawyer, but I'm so sure about that. I think you are allowed to
    make copies of something you own for private purposes, it's like taping off
    air. But to fully comply with that, the brother may have to mail the
    original to the copier.

    Java Jive, Jan 26, 2005
  12. dc

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    That may very well be the case where you live, however where I live
    (Australia) that does not apply.

    Similarly, In Europe, the EUCD or Copyright and Related Rights
    Regulations of 2003 makes it an offense to make a copy of a copyrighted
    DVD, CD or music file, including backup to an MP3 player.

    Even if this is for personal use they theoretically face up to two years
    in jail or an unlimited fine, and possible civil action from copyright
    holders.

    It is a mistake to assume that the law in your particular part of the
    world necessarily applies somewhere else.

    Oldus Fartus, Jan 26, 2005
  13. dc

    Jon Purkey Guest

    I'd hope the police in Australia have better things to do than arrest
    people for making backup copies of CDs/DVDs they own.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)

    Jon Purkey, Jan 26, 2005
  14. dc

    Richard C. Guest

    ==============================
    Strange view...........
    If it is pirated, it is pirated........period.
    =============================
    =====================================
    walking a thin line......
    ======================================
    =========================
    Or maybe the mpaa has presured them to stop ALL fake/pirated DVDs.
    ===============================

    Richard C., Jan 26, 2005
  15. dc

    Richard C. Guest

    ================================
    Since DMCA.

    Richard C., Jan 26, 2005
  16. dc

    Mutley Guest

    I guess the US Gvt now works for big business..

    Mutley, Jan 27, 2005
  17. dc

    Mutley Guest

    Well taking a leaf out of traffic . If there's a buck to be made out
    of it they will..

    Mutley, Jan 27, 2005
  18. dc

    Richard C. Guest

    =============================
    No......but they enforce the LAWS!

    Richard C., Jan 27, 2005
  19. dc

    Omarichu Guest

    I'd hope the police in Australia have better things to do than arrest
    Since only .0000000000000000001% of those with CD/DVD copies actually own the
    originals, they're allowed to just arrest everyone and let the court systems
    sort them out. Nice try anyway, thief.

    Omarichu, Jan 28, 2005
  20. dc

    Donald Link Guest

    Quess he solved the issue of the Australia police having anything
    better to do. Since their biggest job is keeping the dingo from
    mating with domestic animals and they have failed miserly. Next best
    thing is to arrest cyber cops and bend them over and screw them good.

    Donald Link, Jan 28, 2005