Pioneer DVR-810H - convert VHS tapes to DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Dooner, Dec 12, 2003.

  1. Dooner

    Dooner Guest

    I'm considering a Pioneer DVR-810H as a set top box and DVD recorder.
    I would like to know if it is possible to use this box to convert my VHS
    tapes to DVD
    and get rid of my VHS player. I don't see where there are RCA connectors on
    the rear
    of the 810H, so I'm not sure I can do this.

    Does anyone know if I can convert my tapes to DVD's -- and if not with this
    box,
    is there another? I like the Tivo feature, so I'm pretty sold on this box
    but would
    really like to toss my VHS player.

    I'm a newbie, if this is the wrong group, please point me in the right
    direction.

    thanks,
    Gary

    Dooner, Dec 12, 2003

  2. Dooner

    xeaglecrest Guest

    The Pioneer DVR-810H would not be the best choice for transferring your
    VHS tapes to DVD. I have two Tivos, and they are great for what they
    are designed for, i.e. monitoring the TV guide and automatically
    recording programs for you.

    To record a VHS tape, you have to set up the recorder to record a
    particular channel for the length of the VHS tape. You then plug the
    player into the Video inputs of the Pioneer, which only knows what is
    supposed to be coming thru the inputs, not what actually is.

    The real problem is, when the DVD is finalized, it will automatically
    add a title menu that corresponds to the TV program it thought it was
    recording, not the actual tape that you were copying.

    Also, I do know for sure on the Pioneer, but my standalone Tivo will
    copy any source, copy protected or not, but it passes the copy
    protection signal to the output so you cannot copy it back to VHS tape.
    I suspect that the Pioneer will not transfer a copy protected VHS tape
    to DVD.

    xeaglecrest, Dec 12, 2003