Pioneer DVR-633H resets its clock

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Stan Brown, Jul 22, 2006.

  1. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    Sometime overnight, my DVR set its clock four hours ahead. It may or
    may not be significant that it's now on UTC (a/k/a Greenwich Mean
    Time). It will not let me set the time manually.

    My setup: RF cable in, direct from Time Warner. Also, component
    input, which is the output of the T-W box for unscrambling premium
    channels. In hopes of avoiding that TV Guide nonsense, on initial
    setup I told it I have no cable and no antenna. I then set time and
    channels manually.

    For about a month everything was fine, then this morning I see that
    the time is wrong and I can no longer edit which channels are skipped
    by channel up/down.

    Can someone advise how to tame this recorder? I like it generally,
    but it's more willful than a three-year-old child. I want to set the
    time and channels myself, not have my settings changed out from under
    me. Pioneer's customer service phone was not helpful either time I
    called.

    Stan Brown, Jul 22, 2006

  2. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    Sat, 22 Jul 2006 06:48:22 -0400 from Stan Brown
    I spent several hours on the phone with Pioneer tech support this
    past weekend, in three calls that didn't resolve the problem. But I
    did get a phone number for second-level support. That fellow knew his
    stuff. There seems to be either a bug in the TV Guide code *or* some
    problem in the transmission of TV listings *and* time info through
    Time-Warner cable (or both).

    The cure is to reinitialize the TV Guide part of the DVR with a zip
    code of 00000. Apparently that inhibits it from trying to get program
    listings. A nice side effect is that when I turn it off, it actually
    powers off -- previously, the hard drive never stopped spinning.

    Of course, this means I don't get the program listings downloaded,
    but I can well live without those.

    Stan Brown, Jul 27, 2006