Pinging MY IP

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by Harry Bloomfield, Mar 2, 2014.

  1. Phil W Lee pretended :
    It makes no difference off peak or on peak.

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 3, 2014

  2. Harry Bloomfield

    Graham J Guest

    Not necessarily. Between your router and the DSLAM at the exchange they
    could have decided that there was something wrong with the ADSL
    connection, so resynchronised.

    Do you have RouterStats logs proving that such a disconnection has never
    happened before?
    The fact that the LAN connection is wireless is irrelevant.

    It doesn't need to know its WAN IP address at all. Further, it has no
    way to find it out. It uses the same technique as Skype or remote
    control programs such as LogMeIN. These send packets to the server set
    up for the purpose, and receive packets from that server; so the traffic
    leaves your LAN and crosses the NAT in your router. The traffic is
    continuous - at the basic level of "Hi, I'm here". When a remote user
    wishes to connect, that user talks to the server, which asks the camera
    for its data and forwards it to the remote user.

    It follows that there may be continuous outgoing traffic from the
    camera, and this may saturate the upload pathway. You should disconnect
    the camera before doing any performance testing, since a saturated
    upload pathway could well cause the performance issues you see.

    A router with a traffic graph would show this.

    A router with traffic management (QoS) would allow you to manage this to
    avoid saturating the upload link.

    A good ISP would see this on its traffic graph, and tell you about it if
    questioned about performance problems.

    The same saturation would occur if you have an online backup program;
    but it ought to be possible to configure it not to use all the available
    upload bandwidth.

    The same saturation would also occur if you had an infected computer
    sending out spam emails.

    To test for this, configure DDNS, set up Pingdom (and F8Lure) to monitor
    your connection, and disconnect everything from the LAN leaving just the
    router connected to the ADSL service.

    Monitor Pingdom and F8Lure from a different location (ask a friend) and
    see whether the connection ever fails.
    This should never happen; but I am prepared to believe it is caused by
    an inadeqacy in a Netgear router. I think some other entry-level
    routers show the same problem if for example they are handling large
    numbers of errors on the ADSL side.
    What you have written does not make sense. If you ping by IP address
    the domain name is not relevant. It will either get a reply, or not.
    If it fails to get a reply that may be either because it is configured
    not to reply to pings, or because there is no connection to it.

    You can ask (ping -a <ip-address>) for a reverse lookup of the domain
    name - this should use DNS to find out the name relating to the IP address.

    Use "ping <gateway-ip> -t" to ping continuously; note whether you do get
    replies when the connection is apparently working.

    Graham J, Mar 4, 2014

  3. Graham J formulated the question :
    Not ignoring you - my long reply simply failed to post, despite
    multiple attempts- TT again.

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 4, 2014
    No, but I keep a note of my allocated IP.

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 4, 2014
  5. Graham J formulated on Tuesday :
    I know, I was just filling in the blanks..
    Thanks I didn't know how it worked..
    No, it only sends out files - a series of 30K images when it detects
    motion. Other than than when away from home, I can watch live video. No
    one else has access other than me.
    I can monitor my PC's LAN load individually as well as watch the bytes
    of data increment on the router, the load in minimal both ways.
    I don't think they have, or they have not mentioned it.
    The only on line back I use is Iphone Icloud, but not often.
    No indication of any of that.
    I shut the PC and camera down each night, only the router is left on -
    yet Pingdom was getting no response from my router.
    F8Lure looks interesting, I'll see what that does..

    Thanks - It seems to be working near normally at the moment.

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 4, 2014
  6. Harry Bloomfield submitted this idea :
    It seems fairly stable at the moment and responding well -

    http://f8luresig.mouselike.org/sig.png?/52954.png

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 4, 2014
  7. Harry Bloomfield

    Graham J Guest

    A disconnection doesn't necessarily force allocation of a new IP address.

    However, RouterStats would record any changes in speed or SNR margin, as
    well as the short break while a re-sync occurred.

    Graham J, Mar 4, 2014
  8. Harry Bloomfield

    Graham J Guest

    Graham J, Mar 4, 2014
    No need, the above seems to be constantly updated.

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 4, 2014
  10. Harry Bloomfield

    Graham J Guest

    OK will check it later myself ...

    Graham J, Mar 5, 2014
  11. Graham J has brought this to us :
    It has all been fine here as from yesterday afternoon. The graphs seem
    to support that.

    I wish I had known about that site two weeks ago.

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 5, 2014