    Am I ping my router or my connection back to the exchange?

    If not the exchange, is there a way to actually ping through to my
    local exchange? I am on copper, if that makes any difference.

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 2, 2014

  2. Harry Bloomfield

    Dave Saville Guest

    Your router - assuning there is one. Basically whatever responds to
    that IP address. Could be the router or in a router-less setup your
    PC. Depending on the router it may "short circuit" internally, bounce
    off the next router upstream or not work at all without some tweaking
    to NAT settings.
    Ping the default route the *router* has if you can find it - *not* the
    defalut route of the PC - that will be the router's LAN address. Your
    ISP may publish a ping address, otherwise something that is unlikely
    to be down/rejecting - say Google DNS 8.8.8.8

    HTH

    Dave Saville, Mar 2, 2014

  3. Your router, assuming it responds

    --
    Ineptocracy

    diminishing number of producers.

    The Natural Philosopher, Mar 2, 2014
  4. Harry Bloomfield

    AnthonyL Guest

    I'd expect PING to follow the same path as TRACERT so do a tracert to
    your router and see whether it is direct or goes via a route (RT).
    You can try pinging from a remote site ie:

    http://remote-ping.com/

    Make sure your router is set up to respond to an external ping.

    There are other utilities eg

    http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/visual-tracert/

    just google remote ping tool or remote tracert tool or similar

    AnthonyL, Mar 2, 2014
  5. AnthonyL used his keyboard to write :
    Thanks, just what I needed. My router is set to respond to pings and it
    shows no response at all from the remote ping test.

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 2, 2014
  6. Harry Bloomfield

    Woody Guest

    in message

    Your router may be set to respond to pings but that will
    almost certainly on your side of the NAT. The likelihood is
    that your ISP's serving router is probably blocked.

    Woody, Mar 2, 2014
  7. Harry Bloomfield

    Roger Mills Guest

    What are you actually setting out to achieve?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Mar 2, 2014
  8. I don't think there is anything at the exchange that routes at the
    level of your IP packets. They just get passed on uninterpreted to
    your ISP.

    -- Richard

    Richard Tobin, Mar 2, 2014
  9. Harry Bloomfield

    Graham J Guest

    Depending on the router, you may have to specify the IP address that
    pings come from.

    Graham J, Mar 2, 2014
  10. Woody explained on 02/03/2014 :
    My router has no on/off setting for its LAN side - it always responds.

    It does have a WAN side on/off, which I have double checked is on and
    it is responding....

    I never turn the router off and here is the result from Pingdom..

    PingdomAlert DOWN:
    My TT IP (88.111.???.??) is down since 03/02/2014 11:31:25PM.

    PingdomAlert UP:
    My TT IP (88.111.???.??) is UP again at 03/03/2014 08:15:25AM, after
    8h 44m of downtime.

    The overall average response time is 325mS - I assumes that is the
    average for just the time when it gets a response to the ping?

    Throughout, my router has remained rock solidly connected, with zero
    errors between it and the exchange.

    TT have now offered me two months of no charge for the entire package,
    a good reduction in cost after that and a promise to sort the issues
    out.
    We have another provider already set up to move to, if they don't sort
    it out.

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 3, 2014
  11. Roger Mills wrote on 02/03/2014 :
    I am trying to prove the issue[1]] I am having is external to my LAN,
    my router and my connection to the exchange.

    Our internet has been very variable for many years, varying between
    perfectly reasonable to barely usable, to no service. There has been
    almost no usable service for over 10 days, but throughout, we have had
    a good solid constant speed connection to the exchange with no errors.

    For a week I have suffered emails being lost, inability to connect to
    the server, hit and miss browsing and loss of FTP access. It might well
    need several attempts to even get this to post, despite things
    improving considerably as of 16:00 yesterday...

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 3, 2014
  12. Harry Bloomfield

    Graham J Guest

    [snip]

    You think your router should respond to pings from the internet. Tell
    us the make and model, and we can confirm whether or not it should.

    Identify the IP address that your ISP has allocated to the router.
    While pinging something on the internet (to prove that the connection is
    live) ask a friend to ping your router from their internet connection.
    Does this ever work?

    If so, but it's intermittent, there are further questions ...

    Is the IP address that your ISP issues static? (I think you said it's
    dynamic.) If dynamic, register with a Dynamic DNS provider and
    configure your router to use the facility, so you have a URL which
    points to your router. (You might have to change the router for one
    which supports this service - I could lend you one if you are in the
    Norfolk/Suffolk area.) Then set up monitoring with F8Lure. You will
    see nice graphs of the performance of your connection.

    Does your router show corrected and uncorrected error counts on received
    blocks?

    I've seen circumstances where the UNcorrected error count is trivially
    low, so the ISP thinks the service is reliable (because UNcorrected
    errors request retries); but the corrected count (forward error
    correction so no retries) is very high and rises continuously. The
    router therefore appears to be delivering a perfect connection, but the
    throughput can drop to a negligble value, I think because the forward
    error correction overloads the router's processing capability.
    Specifically I have seen this on Vigor 2600 and Vigor 2800 routers.
    More modern routers on the same noisy line show the corrected errors,
    but do not appear to lock up if the error rate rises.

    Speedtest websites then show abysmal download speeds, and continuously
    pinging something reliable (www.bbc.co.uk) for example shows many
    dropped packets. Yet the router suggests that the ADSL connection is
    good and the PPP session is up.

    Use RouterStats to capture and graph the performance of your router.

    Graham J, Mar 3, 2014
  13. Graham J presented the following explanation :
    Iknow it responds to pings, I currently using 'Pingdom' to ping it
    every 60 seconds. It reported a total failure to respond from 23:31
    through to 08:44 this morning, whilst my routers log says it has been
    on constantly throughout. It also stopped responding again at 14:03
    this afternoon - still waiting for it to respond again.
    The above is doing that.
    I actually expected the ping would be on and off, much more than would
    seem to be the case, to match the very variable performance I am
    seeing.

    It remains static, for as long as I keep the router on, but changes if
    I disrupt the connection. My router does support using a Dynamic DNS
    provider and my IP camera independently of the router, uses one.

    Thanks for the offer, but I have four or five Netgear routers which are
    pre-configured and which I can swap into service in an instant - yes, I
    have swapped and it makes no difference - I just get my usual rock
    solid connection to both LAN and WAN with all of them.
    It can and does, but it shows nothing to be concerned about.
    When can can browse and get to a speed test site, it shows good speed
    for copper and the graph is usually straight and level to the very end,
    where it begins to taper of to zero.

    I've done that too, it remains perfectly steady and consistent.

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 3, 2014
  14. Harry Bloomfield

    Graham J Guest

    During this period, were you able to ping the outside world from your LAN?

    If so, does the routing to the outside world change? To find out, use
    PathPing (built into Windows, there may be a similar utility for a Mac)
    and log the results. Set up a script to run it every few minutes.

    Can you be sure that your IP address remained consistent for the whole
    test period?
    Therefore it is dynamic. It may change everytime the router re-syncs,
    which might happen at random, and might not be evident unless you were
    pinging something at the times ...
    Are the breaks in throughput as percieved from your LAN total for the
    periods that 'Pingdom' reports failure to respond to pings from the
    outside world?

    Do you see a change in response if you ping by IP address rather than by
    domain name (i.e. test in a way that avoids DNS lookups).
    RouterStats can be configured to capture the WAN IP addresss, so you can
    be sure of when it changes.

    When your connectivity is failing, ring TT (not sure this is possible
    !!!) and ask whether they can see ADSL sync on your line. A
    professional ISP certainly will be able to look at the line state, and
    tell you whether the PPP session is up.

    Graham J, Mar 3, 2014
  15. Graham J has brought this to us :
    I didn't during the night, but at the moment I am still waiting for
    Pingdom's email to say it can again ping me from earlier this afternoon
    - browsing access and etc. is almost nil. I will be struggling to even
    get this to post I am sure.
    I will check on that point later, I have Neotrace which can
    continuously ping and show the route.
    I have Freeping setup and running, pinging devices on my LAN, plus DNS
    servers, various web sites and etc. My LAN response is constant and
    unaffected when I have issues, but the WAN ping times increase
    dramatically, as right now.
    Yes it is all but static, I have never known it vary once connected,
    I'm only 1/2 km from the exchange. with never any line issues.

    As said it is dynamic, but remains static unless I disconnect - it has
    to the best of my knowledge never needed to resync once connected.

    No - Pingdom is still showing a complete ping failure right - I can
    ping out, but I'm getting poor and sometimes no response.

    No noticeable difference really - my entire access varies together, so
    I loose DNS lookup with access too the sites at the same time.

    At the moment, everything deteriorates very much together. When this
    latest problem started, all was fine with other than TT services, but
    now it has spread to ALL services, ALL websites.
    It is impossible too ring and speak to anyone at TT, who is not reading
    from a script. Each call so far has been an hour long session, working
    through their script at the end of which they run a quick test and say
    it is all working as it should.

    My last call got through to someone in India who suggested he was the
    tech manager, he said they were getting things checked out at my
    exchange and would ring back next Sunday to check how things were. They
    are supposed to be sending out another router, their first one died
    within a few hours. He wants to see if the new router fixes it -
    extremely unlikely IMO.

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 3, 2014
  16. Harry Bloomfield

    Graham J Guest

    So what happens if you ping by IP address?

    The first address to try is that shown by your router as the default
    gateway on the WAN. Your router will have an IP address, and the
    default gateway is the device at the other end of the WAN connection, so
    it is the router operated by TT that handles your connection (and
    probably that of some other TT customers).

    Looking at a Negear router with a connection to Tiscali I see:
    WAN IP = 88.111.x.y
    Gateway IP = 88.111.32.1

    So if I were testing from this router I would ping 88.111.32.1

    This tests the link from your router through the BT network.

    It might be work configuring Routerstats to log this address also - if
    the PPP session is disconnected (because of authentication failure or a
    problem with BT's access to the RADIUS server handling the TT logins)
    you may get allocated a different gateway address, actually on the BT
    network - which routes you to their own speed test site but nothing else
    - though usually it displays a page with a "There is a problem in the BT
    network" message if the routing is changed like this.

    Tell us the IP address of your TT default gateway - we should be able to
    ping it.

    I accept that there is some academic interest in identifying the exact
    cause of the problem; but given the problems you describe with talking
    to somebody at TT with the appropriate technical knowledge, I suggest
    you migrate to another ISP.

    You might try ringing your chosen ISP and discussing the problem with
    them, on the basis that if they can't explain the nature of the problem
    you should consider a different ISP.

    Just to be sure, disable the wireless facility on your router (so
    there's no chance of anybody else using it) and connect a single test PC
    on the LAN. If your router has a traffic graph, monitor it so you can
    see if there is more traffic than you would expect from your single PC.

    Graham J, Mar 3, 2014
  17. Graham J brought next idea :
    Thanks, but without my touching the router, rebooting it ect. - my ISP
    allocated IP has just changed...

    I was on 88.111.157.70 now it is on 88:104:176:1

    My continuous connection time should show around 60 hours since I last
    touched the router, but is showing 44 minutes.

    Everything is suddenly running at top speed now. WAN pings are all
    showing sub 22mS and 100%.

    My problem might at last be resolved.

    Thanks, I have at least learned a few tricks along the way :)

    I'll report back after more tests and more time to explore.

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 3, 2014
  18. Harry Bloomfield

    Phil W Lee Guest

    Smells to me like congestion somewhere at your ISP.
    ICMP packets are generally at a low priority, so if a router is
    overloaded they are just about the first thing that gets dropped.

    Phil W Lee, Mar 3, 2014
  19. Harry Bloomfield

    Graham J Guest

    No - it's just a temporary respite ...
    Well, that would explain why 'Pingdom' fails.

    If the IP address changed without the router re-syncing then I think
    even a dynamic DNS Client will fail to see the change, so would not
    update itself. So monitoring with 'Pingdom' or F8Lure would fail in
    these circumstances.

    However, you say the connection time shows at 44 minutes, so it is
    likely that the router re-synchronised. A dynamic DNS client should
    update its service with your new IP address.

    How does your IP camera connect to the outside world? How does it know
    to update its DDNS client? Something suspicious here !!!!

    What this suggests is that the route from 88.111.157.70 was in some way
    corrupt, so it's not surprising that TT forced a re-synchronise. This
    is how the internet works around unreliable sections.

    In general terms, when you experience poor performance, does performance
    always recover if you reboot the router (or re-synchronise - unplug the
    phone line for a couple of minutes)? Or does rebooting have no effect?

    Graham J, Mar 3, 2014
  20. Graham J pretended :
    It was just a temporary respite :-[
    Yes, I have adjusted it to the new IP and adjusted the servers trying
    too ping it, to EU only.

    Yes, but I absolutely believe it was disconnected at the exchange,
    because it has never done it before.

    It uses wireless to my router. Then it somehow must report its new WAN
    address to a server set up by the camera maker for the purpose, because
    when away from home, I just login to the server and it redirects me to
    my IP camera. On my LAN at home, I can connect to the camera either
    directly via its LAN IP, or log into the above server.
    Yes but only when my LAN has suffered a slowdown issue - which is very
    rare. It is obvious when the LAN has an issue, because it will be slow
    trying to log into the router.

    I do always try rebooting, to force a new dynamic IP on the WAN, but
    doing it has never helped in the slightest at any time I have done it.

    You earlier suggested pinging the gateway. Neotrace shows it as
    responding in 14mS at the moment as part of the route to another
    server, but if I try just pinging its IP directly, I get back that it
    could not resolve the domain name. Freeping also shows no response from
    it at all.

    Harry Bloomfield, Mar 3, 2014