    that was almost as bad as Orlando. Do you have any suggestions as to
    where I might cut from I95 to I75. I figure, about a 75 mile longer
    route would be acceptable.

    PeterN, Oct 16, 2013

  2. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    The standard route would be down I-95 to I-4 (Daytona) to I-75 before
    you get to Tampa. The delays on that route are mostly caused by the
    time of day you pass through the major cities and any events going on.
    You'd have problems during one of the Bike Week events nearing
    Daytona, and delays going through Orlando on I-4 if it's late
    afternoon. Other than that, it would be reasonably clear sailing
    barring accidents that tie up traffic anywhere on the route.

    Any other route would not be faster because you wouldn't be on
    controlled access routes, but may be less stressful because you
    wouldn't be sitting in traffic. Also, they would be more scenic and
    offer more chances to stop and take a photo.

    There are several possibilities if you don't mind getting off the
    Interstates.

    1. Leave I-95 at Exit 373 north of Jacksonville. That's A1A which
    joins with Highway 301 and takes you south towards Ocala and puts you
    on I-75 near there. 301 is a major highway but not a controlled
    access highway. It won't add to your mileage because it cuts the
    corner. This by-passes Jacksonville and Orlando traffic.

    If you leave 301 at Waldo and go on Highway 24 into Gainesville you
    can join I-75 much further north. Don't do that on a Saturday if
    University of Florida has a home game, but any other day it's not a
    bad route.

    2. Leave I-95 at Exit 311 and take Highway 207 toward Palatka and
    leave Palatka on Highway 20 west. That gives you a choice of picking
    up Highway 301 and going south to intersect with I-75 at Ocala or
    going past 301 into Gainesville and picking up I-75 there.

    If you want, you can leave I-95 a bit sooner at Exit 318 and go into
    St Augustine for a little diversion from driving. It's a little out
    of your way, but an interesting side trip. Leave St Augustine on
    Highway 207 west and follow the above paragraph's directions.

    3. Leave I-95 at Exit 268 north of Daytona in Ormund Beach and take
    Highway 40 to Ocala and pick up I-75 in Ocala. This route takes you
    through the Ocala National Forest. If you are around this area at meal
    time, I highly recommend a stop at the Blackwater Inn in Astor on the
    St John's river. The key lime pie is great.

    Those are the three "best" choices as I see them. They are all routes
    that I have taken, but usually going the opposite way, and routes that
    I've taken because I dislike Interstates if there's an option.

    There's one more route, but it doesn't involve Florida. If you are
    willing to make a stop along the way, consider leaving I-95 at
    Brunswick, Georgia and take Highway 82 west to Highway 301 and drop
    down to Folkston, Georgia and visit the Okefenokee Wildlife Refuge. .
    Take the guided boat trip and your camera and grab some bird and
    alligator photos. Great birding place. Say Hello to Pogo.

    For $18.50 per person, you get a 90 minute ride on a flat-bottomed
    boat ride into the swamp, and the tours run all day with no
    reservations.
    http://www.okefenokeeadventures.com/guided-tours/

    If you want a better tour, there's a $250 package for two

    http://www.okefenokee.com/guided-tours/motorboat/birding-2/

    with a morning trip just for photographers, but that requires a
    reservation and you have to be there in the morning, so you'd be
    staying in a motel the night before.

    You'd leave Folkston on Highway 301, and that route is explained
    above.

    I know that when you travel you sometimes want to just get to the
    destination, but if you haven't been to the Okefenokee it would be
    worth a stop. Especially with your interest in birding.

    I can map all of those routes out and send .jpgs if you want, but they
    should be apparent on any map you have.

    Tony Cooper, Oct 16, 2013

  3. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    Thanks.

    As of now we cannot leave earlier than a Wednesday. We have a
    reservation on Sanibel for the following Saturday, which leaves us with
    plenty of time. Last year I took I70 to SR 301, and picked up I75 near
    Gainsville. In prior years I had gone through Orlando using I4. On both
    routes we ran into horrible traffic. Both of us prefer not to use the
    Interstate, but there are limits. As I get older I am becoming more
    cranky about traffic. If I had my druthers, We would leave early on the
    Thursday before, and spend a few days in Savannah or Charleston, and at
    least a half day in St. Augustine. But that may not be possible, because
    of various commitments here.

    PeterN, Oct 16, 2013
  4. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    Thanks for that information. I didn't know that Google map apps had that
    capability.

    However, one of the reasons we drive instead of fly, is that if we see
    something interesting, we will stop and enjoy. Having to be at a
    location before a certain time, would simply create unnecessary stress.
    The main purpose of driving is to avoid stress.

    PeterN, Oct 16, 2013
  5. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    The problem with advance warnings of a traffic tie-up is the lack of
    alternative routes that are easily accessible on this route. It's not
    like being in a city where there are several other routes to take
    going the same direction.

    If you come to Orlando from the north on I-4 in the afternoon on your
    way to the west coast as Peter would if he takes this route, and find
    that traffic is tied up, you really have two choices: stop and have a
    meal and wait until the traffic thins out, or stay on I-4 and creep
    along. Any alternate route will get you to the destination at about
    the same time as creeping, but you may be driving faster.

    Tony Cooper, Oct 16, 2013
  6. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    as does apple's map app and many other third party navigation apps.
    waze isn't dependent on facebook at all. where did you get that idea?

    had faceboook bought them, it might have, but that didn't happen.

    Guest, Oct 17, 2013
  7. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    some apps do that.
    it's particularly bad in canada. for the usa, it's not as bad, although
    not as accurate as google's maps.

    Guest, Oct 17, 2013
  8. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    How long have you lived in that area? Are there that many places
    you've never been before?

    You didn't take a job delivering pizzas, did you?

    Any contacts in the TV industry? I have this idea for a new reality
    show: App Hoarders.

    Tony Cooper, Oct 17, 2013
  9. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    Yup! I have a whole bunch of nav & mapping apps on my iPhone including
    MotionX GPS, Theodolite, Spyglass, Galileo, GPSNotes, GPS Toolbox,
    Google Earth, Google Maps, Maps+, Topo Maps, MapsWithMe, NG Park Maps,
    and sitting there, little used, Waze[/QUOTE]

    yow.

    i've used navigon, tomtom and magellan, but have settled on navigon for
    road trips (or a dedicated garmin gps, depending on the trip).

    i also use waze for incident reports.

    i have a couple others but rarely use them.
    that's what i said.
    don't authorize it to use facebook.

    however, the ads do get annoying. it detects when you're stopped at a
    traffic light and puts up an alert 'taco bell 0.5mi' or whatever.
    you can, but it's not required.
    of course logging in with facebook is encouraged. companies get all
    sorts of analytics out of that. however, it's not a requirement.
    google is gutting one of the best features of waze, that being speed
    trap alerts.

    Guest, Oct 17, 2013
  10. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    says the person who hasn't bought an app. or have you yet? to you, more
    than 5 would be a hoarder. average number of apps is around 50, last i
    saw. it's not unusual for someone to have far more than that.

    anyway, just looking at that list, most are free or a couple of bucks.

    however, some gps apps, such as navigon, are a bit spendier, but he
    didn't list those.

    each app has its place. pick the best tool for the job.

    Guest, Oct 17, 2013
  11. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Did you forget that I bought an iPhone 4-something the first of
    September? So far, I have added the Google app. No other apps.

    I did buy a spiral-bound book of large scale maps of Central Florida
    two weeks ago. My interest is not finding my to a known destination,
    but knowing where the small roads are and where they go. I roam some
    of the outlying areas looking for photo ops. I feel I can plan better
    with a paper map.

    Tony Cooper, Oct 17, 2013
  12. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Nope. Still virgin in paying those outrageous 99 cent prices, but I
    have downloaded an app. Google. Aren't you proud of me?
    My TV show idea is golden!

    I'm now pitching a second show: App Jeopardy.

    Alex: It tells you what you should do that you are not interested in
    doing.

    Contestant: What is a "nospam"?

    Alex: It provides an onslaught of substantiation when it is wrong.

    Contestant: What is a Sandman?

    I gave up on my "The App Price is Right" idea. Too many 99 cent
    guesses.

    Tony Cooper, Oct 17, 2013
  13. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    no.

    Guest, Oct 17, 2013
  14. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Add one. I just download an app that is a countdown timer. There's
    something I need to do for a certain number of minutes, and figured I
    might as well get with the times and do it by app.

    It's a free app. What's the incentive for a person to develop a free
    app? How is he/she compensated, if at all?

    It's not a very useful app. I wanted one that makes a sound when the
    countdown ends, but this one doesn't. My wife's mechanical kitchen
    timer really works better.

    Tony Cooper, Oct 17, 2013
  15. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    there's a timer in the clock app. try that.
    what's the incentive for writing free desktop software, of which there
    is a fair amount?

    there are many reasons for an app to be free.
    the kitchen timer doesn't store as many photos as the iphone.

    the timer in the built in clock app plays a user selectable sound.

    Guest, Oct 17, 2013
  16. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I didn't know it contained a count-down timer. It does, and it emits
    a sound when the time is up. Works fine. Thank you, I appreciate the
    suggestion.

    That doesn't answer the question.
    What is the incentive for an individual? Why would you bother typing
    a reply and not provide an answer to the question?

    Sadly, though, I'm back to the one added app...Google. I deleted the
    new one.

    Tony Cooper, Oct 18, 2013
  17. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    All I wanted was a count-down timer. I followed nospam's suggestion,
    and there is a count-down timer with a sound at the end. Works fine.

    Tony Cooper, Oct 18, 2013
  18. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Yeah, got it now. I added some plants to the yard that can't be
    over-watered and they're in an area not covered by the sprinkler
    system. I need to water them for a certain amount of time each day,
    and the count-down timer sound reminds me when to turn off the
    portable sprinkler.

    I wear a watch and have a clock on the phone, but remembering to look
    at either is not something I always do. So, the count-down thing
    works fine. I don't have to re-set it like I would an alarm.

    Tony Cooper, Oct 18, 2013
  19. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Have you ever considered how complex the world has become?

    The first phone I ever used was installed by an employee of the
    telephone company completely wired-up and ready to go. All I had to
    do to make a call was put my finger in a hole and move the disk around
    to a stopping point, and then repeat this five more times using the
    appropriate holes.

    The sound emitted by the phone when someone called me was chosen by
    Western Electric. I didn't have to choose between Scherezade, Fibber
    Magee's closet, or the mating call of a Caribou.

    If I didn't know the number of the person I wanted to call, I could
    dial 0 and ask for Information...the Sari of those days.

    Now, voice communication with another human seems to be the least used
    function of the telephone. Those of us who use a phone primarily to
    actually talk to someone else are considered to be non-progressive
    relics who under-utilize the device.

    Tony Cooper, Oct 18, 2013
  20. PeterN

    Guest Guest

    indirectly it does. some people write free software, whether it's on a
    phone or laptop/desktop.

    not everyone is after money.
    there are many, many reasons.

    the developer can set whatever price they want and you'd really need to
    ask them directly what their motivation is.

    however, some of the usual reasons for free apps (or low price) are:
    - the app is free but has ads to generate revenue.
    - the app uses the freemium model where some basic functionality is
    free and additional functionality is an in-app purchase (including
    removing ads).
    - the app is a way for the developer to get noticed so that users
    purchase other apps from them.
    - the app is so ridiculously simple it can't justify anything above
    free or possibly a buck.
    - the app's price dropped, because some people look for apps whose
    prices change, especially to free. there are apps and web sites that do
    this automatically.
    - the developer did it because they wanted to write something and then
    decided to share it.
    - it's one or more apps in a portfolio so the developer has something
    to show when interviewing for a 'real job'.

    that's not a complete list. as i said, the reasons are numerous and
    there's no single answer.

    Guest, Oct 18, 2013