  1. ns

    Erik Freitag Guest

    So, how far apart are these routers? What kind of circuit connects them?

    Erik Freitag, Dec 15, 2004

  2. ns

    Erik Freitag Guest

    OK, great circle distance 5558 miles, fiber speed 124.3 miles/ms = 44 ms,
    round-trip 88 ms. Given that this is the best possible time given ideal
    conditions, I would say you are doing pretty well at 180 ms.

    Erik Freitag, Dec 15, 2004

  3. ns

    ns Guest

    Thanks Eric

    ns, Dec 15, 2004
  4. ns

    ns Guest

    How do you know that the distance is ^ 5558 miles ?

    ns, Dec 15, 2004
  5. ns

    ns Guest

    sorry, i don't understand your question
    PPP

    ns, Dec 15, 2004
  6. ns

    Erik Freitag Guest

    Erik Freitag, Dec 15, 2004
  7. ns

    ns Guest

    ns, Dec 15, 2004
  8. On 15.12.2004 12:58 ns wrote

    Not so astonishing as the difference to serialize a 1500 byte packet vs.
    a 100 byte packet on a T1 is only 7.2 ms

    This is by far outweighted by the time to get from Paris, EU to SFO.

    Arnold

    Arnold Nipper, Dec 15, 2004
  9. He said it's going from Paris to San Francisco. There may not be any
    routers in the path, but there are almost certainly several telco
    switches. I don't think you can buy a direct, physical connection
    that's 6,000 miles long (including a transatlantic link).

    Barry Margolin, Dec 15, 2004
  10. ns

    Erik Freitag Guest

    Sure, but when someone says point-to-point, I usually envision something
    like a DACS, not a F/R switch. A DACS may not switch very fast, but it
    doesn't do it very often. I agree there will be latency at each
    intermediate wiring center for his path.

    Erik Freitag, Dec 15, 2004
  11. ns

    Jonathan Guest

    Long distance PTP ckts get trunked on the ATM backbone...

    Normally, a PTP would hit the DACS, get trunked together with other DS0s and
    dumped to another DACS

    Jonathan

    Jonathan, Dec 16, 2004