    those wonderful people who have *plonked* me, I will refrain from using
    this box to post to the group (unless Windows is down <g>) so they won't
    have to killfile me again. Now see, wasn't that nice of me?

    Toolman's Toaster, Jul 13, 2004

  2. <<clipped>>

    Thanks - Pierce! I realised that myself (see my other reply to my posts).
    Since I had access to the other hardware in the network, I should have
    realized sooner that it was a DNS problem. But it *was* late last night,
    and when the possible solution came to me, it was time to go to the
    office. So when I finally got home I had it fixed in no time.

    Toolman's Toaster, Jul 13, 2004

  3. Toolman's Toaster

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Okay, just for fun <g> I put Red Hat 9 on an old PC sitting around...So far
    so good. The installer put all the pieces in the right places. It is booting
    to Gnome. I intend to play with the Open Office and Mozilla and such.
    "Support your local learning curve", all that. I do feel that it boots and
    runs slower than Windows 98SE which was on the machine previously, but that
    of course is subjective (400MHz CPU/128 megs RAM/4Gig HD).

    So here's my problem (and the *only* one I've noticed): I can't get to the
    Internet. The network card is communicating fine - I can connect to the
    router admin page at 198.162.0.1, and log in. I can access the shared
    documents on the Windows based PC's on the router. (Yes, the Windows PCs
    have Internet access...that's how I'm posting here). But I can't get Mozilla
    to the Internet.

    I imagine it's a simple network configuration issue. But I don't know where
    to start. Since it is booting direct into Gnome, can someone give me some
    tips on resolving this using the tools available in the Gnome interface?

    Toolman Tim, Jul 13, 2004
  4. Firewall issue? If so, I'm outta here -- I know squat about them with
    Linux (happy Kerio tweaker back in the Windows Decade).

    Does ifconfig from root give you something like this, for ppp0?

    ppp0 Link encap:point-to-Point Protocol
    inet addr:209.179.216.229 P-t-P:207.217.95.25 Mask:255.255.255.255
    UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:576 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
    RX bytes:2194574 (2.0 Mb) TX bytes:276894 (270.4 Kb)

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 13, 2004
  5. Toolman's Toaster

    bean Guest

    as root in a console do 'iptables -L' and paste the result here.

    bean, Jul 13, 2004
  6. Run - ifconfig - at a terminal prompt, you may have to do it as 'su'.
    You should get something like:-

    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:FC:A1:BA:48
    inet addr:xxx.xxx.x.x Bcast:xxx.xxx.x.xxx Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::250:fcff:fea1:ba48/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:620122 (605.5 Kb) TX bytes:234171 (228.6 Kb)
    Interrupt:11 Base address:0xff00

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:14743 (14.3 Kb) TX bytes:14743 (14.3 Kb)

    Also if you can use IP addresses to ping other hosts from your RH9 box,
    then the NIC hardware and the device driver software on your RH9 box are
    functioning correctly.
    Another thing, you could use Red Hat's setup utility (/usr/sbin/setup)
    and select Network Configuration or run "/usr/sbin/netconfig" directly.
    NetConfig is based on the same code used in Anaconda, the Red Hat
    installer program, that configures your device (and is quite easy to use).
    You will (more than likely) have to be 'root' to do that.

    As far as the actual device driver itself, most PCI cards are
    auto-configuring and, thus, require no parameters like IRQ and base
    address. These are determined automatically by the host OS.
    I'm not too familiar with RedHat, but some of the above may be of help.
    Or you could try a Google in - comp.os.linux.redhat

    Perce P. Cassidy, Jul 13, 2004
  7. Toolman's Toaster

    Parko Guest

    It's probably something to do with adding yourself to the right group.
    If you aren't aware of how Linux systems handle security, users and
    groups, its very different to Windows. Follow the link and read Chapter
    6. You'll probably need to give yourself internet access rights.

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/

    Every so often I try a Red Hat release. IMO Mandrake kicks RH's arse.
    SUSE 9.1 isn't too bad either. Don't forget these are newer
    distributions than WinXP, and 128Mb RAM is just scraping it in if you're
    using a fairly standard install using Gnome. Try a lighter X-windows
    manager like Window Maker http://www.windowmaker.org/gallery.html or
    IceWM http://www.icewm.org/. A good general reference starter point is:
    http://www.google.com./linux
    Now go away and have a good root;)

    Parko, Jul 13, 2004
  8. No.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 13, 2004
  9. Toolman's Toaster

    bean Guest

    I'm glad you fixed your problem but I dont understand your outright NO?

    bean, Jul 14, 2004
  10. Toolman's Toaster

    Toolman Tim Guest

    That was actually Blinky's "no". Since it wasn't his problem, that was his
    cryptic way of saying you replied to the wrong post. It would have been
    preferable to click on my original post and reply to that one instead of
    Blinky's.

    Thanks for posting though - I actually was going to do that before I
    realized it was simply a DNS prob.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 14, 2004
  11. YW! Glad it worked. :)

    Perce P. Cassidy, Jul 14, 2004
  12. Very thoughtful! LOL.

    Perce P. Cassidy, Jul 14, 2004
  13. I didn't have a problem. So why would I post data as if I did have a
    problem?

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 14, 2004