Ping outside of a static from an inside host

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by R.B.P., May 1, 2004.

  1. R.B.P.

    R.B.P. Guest

    Hi

    I have a weird problem.
    I can't ping the outside IP address of a static translation
    from an inside host.

    Here my need:

    Outside IP address for host: a.b.c.10
    Inside IP address of host: x.y.z.5

    Here my conf.:

    ip address outside a.b.c.5 255.255.255.248
    ip address inside x.y.z.1 255.255.255.0

    static (inside,outside) a.b.c.10 x.y.z.5 netmask 255.255.255.255 0 0

    access-list outside permit icmp any any
    access-group outside in interface outside

    From an inside host x.y.z.35 I can of course ping x.y.z.5.
    But I'm unable to ping a.b.c.10 (the ext. IP address in the translation).

    Why can't I ping the external IP address ?

    BR

    R.B.P.

    R.B.P., May 1, 2004

  2. R.B.P.

    Ivan Ostres Guest

    I think that it's question of rule that packet can pass just one time
    trough the same interface (and here it should do it 2 times - out of
    outside and than back in outside).

    Ivan Ostres, May 1, 2004

  3. That's not a weird problem, it's a very frequent question here.

    NAT only takes place when traffic is going from inside to outside or
    vice versa.

    Barry Margolin, May 1, 2004