    Hey man,

    A friend of mine joined the nz.comp BOINC group but hasn't yet shown
    up. Is there anyway to "refresh" the group or something?

    Dogg, Jul 19, 2004

  2. Dogg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hey Dude,

    I noticed a couple of people have joined recently.

    The servers have been playing up for a while now. I think it's just a matter
    of waiting for them to come right. I haven't been able to log into my
    account for a couple of days. I *can get to the nz.comp team page but not my
    own. (I need to change my preferences).

    Give it a while and it should come right, nothing ever happens straight away
    with Berkeley/Seti. Also, I'm not sure if he'll show up until he has some
    credit under his belt, I see the nz.comp/BOINC page is only showing users
    who have switched to BOINC and have returned units now, it used to show the
    whole of the team.

    This page:

    http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/team_display.php?teamid=30823

    Shows members 51 (Up from 50 yesterday) but only 15 are listed, the ones who
    have returned work. He'll show up in a day or two I'd say, once some work is
    returned and verified.

    Cheers, and pass on my 'welcome to the team' please.

    ~misfit~, Jul 19, 2004

  3. Dogg

    Dogg Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:08:16 +1200, "~misfit~"

    He's showing up now :) MushroomNZ

    Dogg, Jul 19, 2004
  4. Dogg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Cool. Hey, I went to check to see what computers you are running and you
    have them hidden. Why be that if you don't mind me asking? I was just going
    through the team, seeing what we're all running (or at least what they're
    reported as, "AMD Pentium", LOL) and noticed your's are hidden.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jul 19, 2004
  5. Dogg

    Dogg Guest

    I can't change it even if I wanted to at the moment...

    Project is shut down for maintenance - please try again later

    Dogg, Jul 20, 2004
  6. Dogg

    Dogg Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:30:49 +1200, "~misfit~"

    <snip>

    There now :)

    Dogg, Jul 21, 2004
  7. Dogg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Thanks. I like to be able to see what people are running and how the
    different systems do on the benchmarks.

    Hmmm, you have a few PCs there huh? Or do some of them need 'merging'?

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jul 21, 2004
  8. Dogg

    Dogg Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:01:24 +1200, "~misfit~"

    Not really. Got a couple of Xeon servers to get in on the act as
    well...

    Dogg, Jul 21, 2004
  9. Dogg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Good man, lets get crunching!

    Now, if only I could get some work units downloaded.........

    ~misfit~, Jul 22, 2004
  10. Dogg

    Divine Guest

    I'm presently crunching classic seti.

    Divine

    Divine, Jul 23, 2004
  11. Dogg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Same here, running BOINC as well, waiting for it to get some WU's.

    ~misfit~, Jul 23, 2004
  12. Dogg

    Dogg Guest

    All my machines got some during the weekend. They're having trouble
    returning results at the moment.

    Dogg, Jul 26, 2004
  13. Dogg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Yep, same here. My machines grabbed WUs in the weekend. However, now they
    can't return result or get more units. I set u BOINC on another machine the
    night before last and it hasn't managed to get a WU yet, despite contacting
    the server 80+ times. They're still ironing things out at Berkeley, they
    generated 400,000 WUs over the weekend and distributed them, then started on
    more upgrading/maintenance.

    Funny, the 'new' machine still hasn't got any units but another of my
    machines grabbed a half-dozen overnight. Hopefully that means they've nearly
    got it sorted.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jul 27, 2004
  14. Dogg

    Divine Guest

    My 64bit box has managed to fill it's cache again, and upload all the
    recent results that it couldn't upload during the time that the project
    was shut down.

    The other box that I'm crunching SETI on (lloyd.home - what is to become
    my new network server) has a few WUs in it's cache, has had no
    difficulties getting WUs or uploading results since I sorted out its
    massive hardware problems.

    I've replaced the MOBO with a more recent version that has an nforce-2
    chipset. Turns out that the fault with the RAM. I found that out by
    swapping the RAM from james.home into lloyd.home. It then started working
    perfectly.

    Oh well, back to the shop tomorrow with the old MOBO, and the defective
    RAM - both under warranty.

    Divine

    Divine, Jul 27, 2004
  15. Dogg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Just this afternoon all my machines have filled their caches and returned
    results. Yay! Berkeley have got it together (hopefully for a while).
    Shame it turned out to be the RAM after you replaced the mobo. At least you
    have a better mobo now.
    Cool. Team nz.comp BOINC was back up to position 122 when I looked a few
    days ago after dropping back to 140. I doubt we'll stay there long though,
    there are some *big* teams out there. The highest I saw us reach was P 100.
    Just checked, position 126 at present. I'm doing my best to stay up there,
    four machines on the job now. I figured most of the power a PC consumes is
    released as heat so I'm using PC's to heat my house. ;-)

    ~misfit~, Jul 27, 2004
  16. Dogg

    Divine Guest

    And more RAM, AND a faster CPU.

    That box was Athlon XP2400+

    Now is Athlon XP2600+ - which is, I believe a Barton. :eek:)

    Pay week next week. Skint until then.

    Currently sitting at 130...

    The AMD Athlon XP 2600+ does not produce much heat at all. Sustained full
    CPU loading using only the supplied heatsink and fan and NO case fan
    results in a heatsink that is mildly warm to touch. The power supply
    produces much more heat than the CPU - as does my monitor.

    Shortly after typing the above I added a case fan. Just before adding this
    sentence I checked the temperature of the heatsink. Barely noticable above
    ambient case temprature - which I hadn't noticed as being anything
    different from the room temprature.

    A 1-gig Intel Coppermine produces more heat than a 2-gig Athlon.

    Of course I have not been over-clocking it. ;o)

    Divine

    Divine, Jul 28, 2004
  17. Dogg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Indeed, at least all the XP2600+'s made in the last six months.
    I bet.
    Good move, insurance.
    Now if I was you I would have bought the XP2500+ instead of the 2600 and
    just run it on a 200Mhz FSB. It might need a very slight vcore increase but
    then you'd basically have an XP3200+. The 2500 and the 3200 both have an 11x
    multiplier, (locked these days unfortunately) only the default FSB is
    different (166 and 200 respectively). We have done this with my fiancee's
    machine and it's running perfectly fine with the standard HSF. It's not so
    simple with the 2600 as the multi is higher and they are hard to get to run
    on 200FSB without after-market cooling.

    The XP2500+ coupled with an nForce2Ultra400 mobo and a FSB increase to 200
    is where the power/dollar ratio is highest. After all, all the Bartons are
    pretty much the same silicon, just with a different default multiplier.

    Still, you have a nice machine there.

    ~misfit~, Jul 28, 2004
  18. Dogg

    Divine Guest

    I'm presently running it on a 166 FSB with a multiplier of 11.5 - all of
    which is configurable in the BIOS.

    I haven't tried it, but I would imagine that I could run it on a 200mhz
    FSB with a lower multiplier.

    However, I bought the 2600+ because it had the extra cache and the
    increased clock speed.

    for 32bit stuff the Athlon 2600+ performs well enough.

    My 64bit box is limited for SETI due to the fact that the [email protected] client
    STILL does not compile on the x86_64 platform. So SETI is not using the
    full capabilities of that box. :eek:(

    Divine

    Divine, Jul 28, 2004
  19. Dogg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I think you'll find that the multiplier on the CPU is locked. The option to
    change it will still show in BIOS but as of about week 34 last year all AMD
    Athlon/Bartons have been multilier-locked. To date nobody (that I know of)
    has been able to defeat the lock. Changing it in BIOS will either make no
    difference (probably) or cause the machine to not boot, then re-set to 'safe
    settings' next boot so you can reconfigure.

    That's why most people who want to overclock Bartons buy 2500's, with an 11x
    multi 95%+ of them will run on a 200Mhz FSB with minimal (if any) increase
    in vcore giving you the equivalent of a 3200 without the need for radical
    cooling. In fact the stock cooler usually handles it fine. Also 2500's are
    cheaper than 2600's.

    Some 2600 will also run on a 200 FSB but usually this requires quite an
    increase in vcore and corresponding temperature rises. Some just won't do
    it. Pretty much all Bartons will do 2.2Ghz relatively easilly. The nForce
    chipset locks the PCI and AGP busses so you can always run a 2600 on a
    190-odd FSB for around 2.2Ghz but it won't be as fast as a CPU on a 200FSB.
    Yeah. I'm sure they'll get around to fixing that, especially as more and
    more people get 64bit CPUs.

    Berkeley haven't handed out any credit for a long time now, I think they are
    having problems with that side of things presently. Look for some big jumps
    in credits soon.

    ~misfit~, Jul 28, 2004
  20. Dogg

    Divine Guest