    application server behind the pix; but we don't yet have a client trying to
    use it , and the software vendor is not helping with a test. I need to know
    the server , at that port # is visable from the public side of the pix

    barret bonden, Sep 23, 2004

  2. barret bonden

    PES Guest

    If the question is how to verify that port is properly redirected and
    permitted inbound through a pix, I would recommend just using netcat. You
    can set netcat in listen mode on the insde and pipe it to an application
    like cmd.exe. You can then connect to it from the outside using the
    appropriate tcp or udp port. This will verify that ports are proprely
    redirected. As for being able to ping a port, icmp by its role in the osi
    model would prevent this. It has more of a brother/sister relationship to
    udp and tcp. To test the port functionality, you would have to go farther
    up the model. If the port is not available, blocked or otherwise, ICMP
    could report that. But as far as tcp or udp is concerned, that would be out
    of band.

    PES, Sep 24, 2004

  3. Many thanks ! Great tool, and I found it for Windows -
    Again, thanks -

    barret bonden, Sep 24, 2004
  4. barret bonden

    hungeduardo

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2007
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    another recomendation for testing if the port is being forwarded accurately would be using: telnet + ip address + port

    Ex: telnet 192.168.10.10 8080

    This way you would be testing both the server and the firewall.

    Regards, Eduardo

    hungeduardo, May 25, 2009