PIII 600 Won't Boot Up

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, Dec 11, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I've been ripping my hair out, whatever litle I have. Here's my
    problem:

    I've got an older system with the following:
    ECS P6IWT-Me motherboard
    10 Gb HD running Win98 SE
    It was hung and ctrl-alt-del didn't work
    thus I held down the power button til it shut off.

    Now when I power on:
    - it won't boot up
    - tried resetting the CMOS using the motherboard pins but won't boot
    even though the HD & CDRom power up
    - no monitor activity when powered on
    - tried disconnecting the power cord for 30 mins and reconnecting but
    only get the keyboard LEDs to flicker once along with the optical
    mouse's light doing the same
    - holding down the power button turns the system power on & off but no
    bootup
    - the reset button is useless too
    - tried removing both Ram sticks and I get the same results as well
    - with the memory sticks removed, I don't even get any beeps from the
    motherboard

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    John, Dec 11, 2003

  2. John

    °Mike° Guest

    Check/change the PSU. Check ALL connections and cables,
    and make sure they are connected nice and tightly. Check
    that fans are operating correctly. Change the RAM modules.

    °Mike°, Dec 11, 2003

  3. John

    IC Guest

    When you reset the BIOS with the jumper, did you also unplug the system?
    If not, the BIOS will not necessarily reset. You need to remove the
    plug from the wall, then use the jumper to reset the BIOS. Even better
    is remove the battery as well for a minute, reinsert it, then plug the
    system back in.

    IC, Dec 11, 2003
  4. John

    John Guest

    Thx
    Tried that first - even disconnecting the Ram didnt cause the system
    to beep on bootup due to no ram or any other hardware which I
    purposely disconnected
    the motherboard power is on (red light on board) but nothing else
    happens

    John, Dec 11, 2003
  5. John

    °Mike° Guest

    You've tried a different PSU?

    °Mike°, Dec 11, 2003
  6. John

    John Guest

    yup - disconnected the power cord & then reset the BIOS but nothing
    reset button does nothing
    holding power off button for 3 secs turns off the power - clicking it
    once wont do anything nor will the Reset button

    John, Dec 11, 2003
  7. John

    Jeff Smith Guest

    I'm betting bad caps..

    http://www.motherboardrepair.com

    Jeff Smith, Dec 11, 2003
  8. John

    IC Guest

    Try removing the video card. If you still don't get any beeps from the
    MB,
    it's either the power supply or the CPU that's dead (or the MB itself).

    IC, Dec 11, 2003
  9. Hi, I think MYBE it can be graphic card try to change it, BUT I`M WORRIED
    about the CPU it happens 1in a 100000 can die, my last suggestion is try to
    change CPU and if boot positive FLASH the BIOS immediately, also make a
    backup of it. Oh yea I just remember, try another power supply. GOOD LUCK

    Marco

    Marco &Tracey Lynn Poffa, Dec 11, 2003
  10. John

    John Guest

    A new PSU I don't have
    it worked fine yesterday until Win98 just hung and I had to hold down
    the power button until it shut down
    thats when all my problems started

    John, Dec 11, 2003
  11. John

    °Mike° Guest

    The PSU is the thing you should be checking, as a first step.

    °Mike°, Dec 11, 2003
  12. John

    M Mullen Guest

    |> Thx
    |> Tried that first - even disconnecting the Ram didnt cause the system
    |> to beep on bootup due to no ram or any other hardware which I
    |> purposely disconnected
    |> the motherboard power is on (red light on board) but nothing else
    |> happens

    It's your power supply. The power supply provides a power good (PG) signal to
    the bios, it's not getting it. I think the supply for PG is 5volts you can meter
    it out to see.

    M Mullen, Dec 11, 2003