Picking the proper lens for your 5D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Nov 16, 2006.

  1. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Nov 16, 2006

  2. "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    > There's absolutely no sense in buying a 5D unless you are going to mate it
    > with the proper lens.
    >
    > http://www.auto-tel.com/ebay/200mmf215.JPG

    Hehe. Canon doesn't make a 200/2.0, so for some that actually may make
    sense. Of course, with stop down metering and manual focus, you won't enjoy
    the "Nikon experience".

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Nov 17, 2006

  3. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Annika1980 Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:

    > Hehe. Canon doesn't make a 200/2.0, so for some that actually may make
    > sense. Of course, with stop down metering and manual focus, you won't enjoy
    > the "Nikon experience".

    A better solution would be to find a used Canon 200 f/1.8L.

    http://www.tanchung.com/images/canon/lenses/ef200mmf18xu.jpg

    Annika1980, Nov 17, 2006
  4. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Skip Guest

    > "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    >> There's absolutely no sense in buying a 5D unless you are going to mate
    >> it with the proper lens.
    >>
    >> http://www.auto-tel.com/ebay/200mmf215.JPG

    > Hehe. Canon doesn't make a 200/2.0, so for some that actually may make
    > sense. Of course, with stop down metering and manual focus, you won't
    > enjoy the "Nikon experience".
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    But they used to make the much lamented 200mm f1.8L, which some of us hope
    to see return, one day. Darned things are bringing more than new price on
    ebay...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip, Nov 17, 2006
  5. "Skip" <> wrote:
    > "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:
    >> "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    >>> There's absolutely no sense in buying a 5D unless you are going to mate
    >>> it with the proper lens.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.auto-tel.com/ebay/200mmf215.JPG

    >> Hehe. Canon doesn't make a 200/2.0, so for some that actually may make
    >> sense. Of course, with stop down metering and manual focus, you won't
    >> enjoy the "Nikon experience".
    >>

    > But they used to make the much lamented 200mm f1.8L, which some of us hope
    > to see return, one day. Darned things are bringing more than new price on
    > ebay...

    My newbie-to-35mm-ness is showing: I just checked the current lens list. I
    suspect, though, that the lens in that photo is also an older lens: the
    current 200/2.0 is a VR lens that'll set you back US$4000 or so. (Now that's
    an interesting question: I wonder if VR Nikkors work as VR with an adaptor
    on a Canon. Probably not, since I'd guess the adaptor doesn't provide power
    to the lens.)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Nov 17, 2006