Photoshop recommendations

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Neil Jones, Dec 24, 2008.

  1. Neil Jones

    The Real Bev Guest

    > Neil Jones<> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am amateur photographer, only up to the point of taking pictures. For
    >> the pictures I shoot, I do not process the pictures or enhance them with
    >> touch ups etc. The pictures that turn out good are printed and the rest
    >> are saved.
    >>
    >> I am planning to purchase Photoshop to enhance the photos. It appears
    >> that Photoshop has a religious following in the photo processing area.
    >> To tell the truth, when I went to the Adobe site I was completely lost.
    >> They have tons of products with varying price ranges. What Photoshop
    >> version(s) are used by the community at large to process and enhance
    >> photos? What would be the price range?
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance for any help.

    If you have a gmail account, you might want to try picasa. It's free,
    it does most basic things really well, and you get a 1-GB website to
    post them for each gmail account. I'd like more 'straightening'
    capability, but I'm unwilling to feed photos through gimp in order to
    get it.

    I normally upload photos from my SD card to my computer, and then copy
    all the untouched originals to a separate subdirectory. Easy peasy!

    Give it a shot, it might do everything you want.

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    Why should I be tarred with the epithet "loony" merely

    The Real Bev, Jun 21, 2011

  2. On Tue, 21 Jun 2011, Pablo wrote:

    > David escribió:
    >
    >> In article <eoq4l.1243$>,
    >> Neil Jones <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I am amateur photographer, only up to the point of taking pictures. For
    >>> the pictures I shoot, I do not process the pictures or enhance them with
    >>> touch ups etc. The pictures that turn out good are printed and the rest
    >>> are saved.
    >>>
    >>> I am planning to purchase Photoshop to enhance the photos. It appears
    >>> that Photoshop has a religious following in the photo processing area.
    >>> To tell the truth, when I went to the Adobe site I was completely lost.
    >>> They have tons of products with varying price ranges. What Photoshop
    >>> version(s) are used by the community at large to process and enhance
    >>> photos? What would be the price range?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you in advance for any help.
    >>>
    >>> Happy Holidays!
    >>>
    >>> NJ
    >>>
    >>> PS - What are plugins? Do you need to buy them separately from
    >>> Photoshop?

    >> You might find that Photoshop Elements will do just about everything you
    >> want, and its about a thousand dollars cheaper.

    > UFRaw + The Gimp will cost you nothing but are a tad harder to learn, I
    > believe.

    GIMP is fine for me, but I've never used anything else. I suspect one
    complication is that most people have experience first with Photoshop, so
    at the very least they have to deal with the unfamiliar if moving to GIMP.

    I don't find anything lacking with GIMP, but I'm hardly the type to do all
    that much with it. I oddly enough bought at a used booksale a while back
    a "Dummies Guide to Photoshop", not to learn Photoshop, but to get a
    handle on what one might do with photo manipulation, if you haven't done
    it you can't miss it. I know I found one "neat thing" and was promptly
    able to find a plugin for GIMP to do that, so I imagine there is much out
    there just waiting for people to need it.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Jun 21, 2011

  3. Neil Jones

    Pablo Guest

    Alan Browne escribió:

    > Ignore The GIMP.

    Is that it? Or do you have something intelligent to add?

    --
    Pablo

    Pablo, Jun 21, 2011
  4. Neil Jones

    sid Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > Ignore The GIMP. Seductive pricing for software worth the price.

    Trying to justify to yourself the ridiculous price that you'll pay for
    software that is no more capable for 99% of users than the free alternatives
    again, eh Alan.

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284