    Now there is Photoshop Elements. Is it like PS LE (same interface with
    some functions missing) or Photo Deluxe (interface designed for idiots?)

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jun 5, 2005

  2. N.Coffey

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I'm not sure what you mean by "PSE's predecessor". They are two
    completely different kinds of programs. PD was a simple program for
    people that didn't want to bother to learn the application for a
    number of tools. Elements, like PS, is tool-based. PD had a number
    of features built into it for the person that wanted a little fun with
    images. To create some of the same fun effects that were built into
    PD, you have to have a good command of the tools in Elements and a lot
    of add-on filters.

    There are times that I use PD, and prefer it over Photoshop7, when I
    want a simple fun image. It's really too bad that PD isn't still
    available. It's a better program for the person that just wants to
    brighten up, crop, and have some fun with an image that most of the
    other bundled image programs. I don't know that anyone ever bought
    PD. It came bundled with various things. Elements is something you
    normally buy for image manipulation.
    I would describe it as a program for people who wanted an easy way to
    do fun things with images and not a program for idiots. Not everyone
    wants to get involved with the more complicated programs.

    Tony Cooper, Jun 5, 2005

  3. N.Coffey

    measekite Guest

    If you have PS7 and do not want to upgrade to PS CS2, does PSE3 give you
    anything? I already have album 2.

    measekite, Jun 5, 2005
  4. N.Coffey

    John Bean Guest

    Camera Raw is the most obvious. It also includes a "better"
    Album that can handle raw files as well. There's a free
    30-day trial, download it and see for yourself.

    John Bean, Jun 5, 2005
  5. It is like PS with some functions missing. Well, sort of: it also has a
    few extras that mimic Photo Deluxe functions. You don't have to use them
    if you don't want to.

    It is in fact quite a bargain: 80% of PhotoShop for 20% of the price.
    The only bad thing about it is the photo catalog program that is so good
    that I'm still searching for a replacement. This is the Mac version,
    though; I unstand the MS Windows version is better.

    Kees van Reeuwijk, Jun 5, 2005
  6. N.Coffey

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Dave Martindale wrote ...
    Very similar, based on a few days playing with Elements 2 (I just got 3
    for free but haven't loaded it) and years using Photoshop.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jun 5, 2005
  7. N.Coffey

    Ron Hunter Guest

    The organizer in PSE3 is said to be better than Album., and there are
    the new 'healing brush', which is great, and the 'separate and
    straighten' which is useful if you deal with scanned photos often. The
    interface leans heavily toward the 'Mac' interface in appearance.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 5, 2005
  8. In this sense: Adobe has long had a cheaper sibling to Photoshop. For a
    while it was PS LE, and that was the only alternative that you saw.
    Then PhotoDeluxe started appearing bundled with hardware, and PS LE
    seemed to disappear at the same time. Now there is Elements available
    everywhere, but I haven't seen PS LE or PD recently, so I assume they've
    been discontinued and PSE is the low-end program du jour.
    Well, OK. That was a bit of hyperbole. But it's possible to have a
    program provide both the simple interface and leave the tools
    accessible too. It sounds like PSE does some of this. I hated
    PhotoDeluxe because it took away the useful tools and left only the
    simplified interface that never did what I wanted.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jun 5, 2005
  9. N.Coffey

    editor Guest

    Very. If you've been a longtime user of PhotoShop, you can start
    using PhotoShop Elements just fine the minute you install it.

    No $4 to park! No $6 admission!
    http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW

    editor, Jun 6, 2005
  10. N.Coffey

    kashe Guest

    It's ublikely that a school, especially one at the community
    college level, would expect students tomake such a purchase. In many
    cases, the school, in addition to lab computers, has access to either
    a student edition or to a 90-day trial version which should cover the
    duration of the course.

    When I once took a course in Windows 2000 Server, the 90-day
    free version was entirely adequate.

    kashe, Jun 7, 2005