    Thank you,
    Nancy

    --

    N.Coffey, Jun 4, 2005

  2. N.Coffey

    editor Guest

    Having used both, I can tell you that both PhotoShop and PhotoShop
    Elements are VERY similar. You sure won't miss the "missing" features
    for about $900 extra!
    OfficeMax has PhotoShop Elements at a real good price.

    See the http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW

    editor, Jun 4, 2005

  3. N.Coffey commented courteously...
    Download and try the trial version of Paint Shop Pro 9.
    Less than PSE and much more capable.

    All Things Mopar, Jun 4, 2005
  4. N.Coffey

    N.Coffey Guest

    Thanks for replying. I have read this before, but it's hard to believe
    that there can be such a difference in price. My friend will be very
    happy.

    Nancy

    N.Coffey, Jun 4, 2005
  5. N.Coffey

    N.Coffey Guest

    What can PSP do that PSE can't? I use Elements myself and have been
    happy with it, but I don't have any high-end requirements. The job my
    friend is going to do suggests using Photoshop and I thought she could
    do the work with PSE.

    Nancy

    N.Coffey, Jun 4, 2005
  6. N.Coffey

    Tony Guest

    There isn't a 900 hundred dollar difference. The guy is completely wrong,
    and probably an idiot.
    Elements does not have the ability to work with 16 bit images which
    makes it useless for professional image editing but certainly good enough
    for most people who don't have a pile of old faded film around that has to
    be restored.
    Instead of taking a course in the wrong program however, I would
    recommend picking up one of the books on Elements. It is not that
    complicated a program. Besides, much of the course would probably be geared
    toward people who want to use Photoshop for graphic design - which is much
    more complicated than using it as an image editor and where all the
    whoop-di-do techniques come in.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Jun 4, 2005
  7. N.Coffey

    Tony Guest

    Not a damn thing - It is essentially a drawing program that has attracted
    a bunce of propeller heads who have the same inane attitude as the
    Mac-Rulez! dorks.
    If you want a program for under 100 dollars that can do 16 bit images, go
    to Corel Photo-Paint.

    Tony, Jun 4, 2005
  8. N.Coffey

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I have Adobe Photoshop 7 and work with it quite bit on digital images.
    Even an advanced user of Adobe uses only a relatively small number of
    the features. Certain basic tools and techniques are used, and that's
    it.

    Elements contains all of the basic tools and techniques. It's
    doubtful if she'll ever come across the need to use the features in PS
    that are not present in Elements unless she's a working with images as
    a professional graphics designer doing production work.

    I just happened to buy Photoshop early on and upgraded before the less
    expensive, but just as useful, Elements came along. Starting over,
    I'd buy Elements.

    Tony Cooper, Jun 4, 2005
  9. : Could anyone who has used Photoshop Elements and the full Photoshop
    : program tell me if they are very similar to use, with Photoshop just
    : having a few more professional features? I've been to the Adobe
    : website and I can't find a list comparing features.

    : If a person had Elements but took a beginners cours in Photoshop,
    : would she be able to apply most of what she learned to Elements? A
    : friend wants to buy and learn Elements, but the local community
    : college only has night courses in Photoshop.

    Yes they are very similar. I would characterize the difference as Elemants
    is a subset of PS. They look the same and work the same but PS has a few
    more High End functions. For most non-professional photogs, Elements is
    probably the better bet. Until you (or your friend) gets into more power
    editing like for art shows, publications, etc or wishes to move from
    photography (with touchup) to ART (with major image manipulation) Elements
    will probably do fine.

    So your friend will probably do fine taking the PS course and then
    applying the learning to PSE. There will be some functions that will not
    be available, but learning about layers, edit tools (such as lasso), color
    correction, as well as some image distortion tools, you can do this in
    either program in the same way.

    The one caution I have is that some such courses require the student to
    have or get a copy of the program to use for homework. If there is not a
    "lab" with the software available for this use your friend may have to get
    PS to be able to do all their homework. This is something that your friend
    should check before assuming that having PSE at home will suffice.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Jun 4, 2005
  10. N.Coffey

    Frank ess Guest

    Elements can do most of what Photo Shop can do, is what I understand.
    As a confirmed Photo Shop user, I would miss Curves, but not much else
    occurs to me. If you never had Curves, Elements might be as complete a
    program as nearly everyone would need.

    Frank ess, Jun 4, 2005
  11. N.Coffey

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    If you know you need 16-bit color space, and you know you need CYMK and
    other color modes, then you know you need PS. If you don't know what
    those things are, then you might only need Elements.
    Yes.

    Paul Mitchum, Jun 4, 2005
  12. N.Coffey

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Nancy,
    Those which come out near eachother in time are usually quite similar
    in interface. Instructions for doing things in Photoshop 6 or 7 are
    usually the same in PSE2. For PSE3, which is much different, and more
    'Mac-like', the newer PS CS2 is likely to be more similar in function.
    PSE3 even has some functions PS-CS lacks, such as an organizer. I am
    sure that for a beginner's course PSE2 or 3 would be sufficient.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 4, 2005
  13. N.Coffey

    Ron Hunter Guest

    PSE3 has limited 16 bit operations.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 4, 2005
  14. N.Coffey

    Ron Hunter Guest

    There are plugins that will add curves to PSE, for a price. For those
    who need this facility.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 4, 2005
  15. [snip]

    I can't answer your question, because I haven't used Elements 3.0. (I
    use Photoshop CS2). I know someone who uses it after using the full
    Photoshop and doesn't see much difference, for him.

    But a factor that is sometimes missed when comparing applications is
    that of "workflow". For example, someone who comes home with 100s of
    Raw files (hardly a beginner!) might find the CS2 way of doing things
    better than alternatives. (Certainly better than the CS way).

    Barry Pearson, Jun 4, 2005
  16. N.Coffey

    Mark B. Guest

    Hardly a $900 difference, more like $550. I upgraded my PSE 2 to PS for
    $300 through a special upgrade Canon had set up with Adobe, it was well
    worth it.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jun 4, 2005
  17. N.Coffey

    N.Coffey Guest

    Thank you for this useful information. The last paragraph brings up
    another question. Is the native file format the same for PSE and PS?
    If a person saved a file in the PSE proprietary format, could a person
    who only had Photoshop open it and still work on the different layers?
    I know that if you save your work as a jpg or tif, you lose the
    layers.

    Nancy

    N.Coffey, Jun 4, 2005
  18. N.Coffey

    John Bean Guest

    Actually TIFF supports all PS features...

    But as to the PSD format, it's identical in PSE3 and CS for
    example. You can even save a file in CS with (say) curves in
    an adjustment layer and PSE can open it *and* render the
    curves layer correctly - it just won't allow you to edit it.
    You can edit anything allowed and save it, then open it back
    up in CS with everything intact.

    John Bean, Jun 4, 2005
  19. N.Coffey

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Yes, to both.
    Compatibility may not go back the other way if PS specific features are
    used, however.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 4, 2005
  20. N.Coffey

    N.Coffey Guest

    Many thanks to John, Randy, Tony, Barry and everyone else for very
    helpful information about these two programs. I found out everything I
    wanted to know and then some.

    Nancy

    N.Coffey, Jun 4, 2005