  1. Same here. My money for video editing software already went
    to Pinnacle instead of Adobe for exactly this reason.
    (Yes I know that Premiere has no activation included- yet)

    Michael Quack, Nov 28, 2003

  2. The content of your harddrive, shreddered by SafeCast?

    Michael Quack, Nov 28, 2003

  3. FDISK.

    My server runs Linux, my firewall runs Linux, and soon
    my office machines will be running Linux as well.

    I stick with Photoshop 7, have switched from Premiere to
    Pinnacle Liquid Edition, keep an eye on Gimp, donate to
    the local Gimp community..... yes, there is action to take.

    Michael Quack, Nov 28, 2003
  4. I hear you, Steve. Of course, I'm not in a position to do anything about
    Photoshop activation--I'm not even on the Photoshop team. If you're not
    allowing Photoshop CS to be used on your company's machines, you might want
    to drop a note to Adobe to let the Photoshop management team know about your
    decision.

    WRT Windows XP, I'm a bit puzzled. Didn't you know that the corporate
    version of XP *does not have activation*? No offense intended, but maybe
    you've gotten some incorrect information about Windows XP somewhere. The
    retail versions of Windows XP and some OEM versions (the ones that are not
    BIOS locked) have activation, but the corporate version doesn't. Of course,
    it's a moot point if you're converting all your users to Linux, but I
    thought I'd let you know in case you have users who will stay on Windows.

    -Mike

    Michael Geary, Nov 28, 2003
  5. Bill Hilton

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Do the versions with activation have to be installed under an
    administrator account?

    Mxsmanic, Nov 28, 2003
  6. There is no other way to install Windows of any flavor.

    Michael Quack, Nov 29, 2003
  7. Bill Hilton

    Mxsmanic Guest

    I was talking about Photoshop CS, not Windows.

    Mxsmanic, Nov 29, 2003
  8. Bill Hilton

    Xiaoding Guest

    "A single quick check into a server to verify that your key isn't being
    used by thousands of people is much less intrusive than having to keep a
    dongle plugged into your USB or parallel port any time you want to use
    the software, then having to spend another $100 to replace the dongle
    when it dies after a few years."

    PAY for a DONGLE? NEVER!! Never pay for a dongle...never, ever.

    Xiaoding, Nov 29, 2003
  9. Bill Hilton

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Right. It helps not to appear to be an ass by screaming
    about something that isn't true. After all, I'm talking
    major product boycott here.

    --- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Nov 29, 2003
  10. Michael Geary:
    Earth to Mxsmanic... :)

    Of course, you don't *install* Windows under any account at all. There
    aren't any accounts on a blank hard drive!

    -Mike

    Michael Geary, Nov 29, 2003
  11. Same answer here. Much like the printing problem in earlier
    Photoshop versions that wouldn't let a regular user with
    restricted rights print because of limited access rights to
    color profiling settings in the registry, while users with
    admin rights could print whatever they wanted.

    Michael Quack, Nov 29, 2003
  12. Bill Hilton

    Nick C Guest

    But the studios count ticket sales as reflecting a pictures success. As
    long as the box office cash register is ringing, producers don't care if
    a picture is liked or disliked.

    Nick

    Nick C, Nov 29, 2003
  13. Bill Hilton

    Mxsmanic Guest

    I know that. I'm not the one who assumed the discussion was about
    installing Windows.

    Mxsmanic, Nov 29, 2003
  14. In fact, the portion of my message that you quoted and replied to *was*
    about Windows. Your reply appeared to be about Photoshop, which made it an
    amusing non sequitur. That added a welcome touch of humor to this serious
    thread. Sorry the humor was at your expense, but I figured that you're able
    to laugh at your own mistakes.

    Just in case you still don't see it, here's your message exactly as you
    posted it:

    ---------------------------

    Michael Geary, Nov 29, 2003
  15. Bill Hilton

    dperez Guest

    OK, this is SORT OF on topic for Photoshop...

    I've gotta figure this is a scam but WHAT SCAM ARE THEY PULLING?

    I recently got an e-mail that offered software VERY cheaply. The software
    included the full Photoshop CS. Not the upgrade, SUPPOSEDLY the full kit...
    Supposed to include the CD (or a download) and serial number or activation code
    or whatever - just no manual or pretty box...

    Now given that Adobe is getting $600 for this and these guys are supposedly
    selling it for $35, I figure there's SOMETHING smelly here... What is it?

    If the thing is legitimate it'd be worth the $35, but I'm always suspicious
    'cause when something appears too good to be true it usually is...

    dperez, Nov 30, 2003
  16. Bill Hilton

    Bob Niland Guest

    Could be pirated media, but is more likely
    counterfeit or just homemade CDR.
    Not even worth $35, due to the activation.

    I just helped a neighbor change out a motherboard
    due to a lightning strike. It was tricky enough
    to get the old bits to boot and run without
    needing to contend with an OS or apps that
    refused to run until we went begging to the
    publishers.
    Odds are that the activation will fail ...
    .... or will appear to succeed, but the
    SIIA/SPA will come knocking after you register.

    Or you'll discover after purchase that the
    seller has a hack for the activation, but wants
    a few more dollars from you.

    --
    Regards, PO Box 248
    Bob Niland Enterprise

    Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
    personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
    employer, client or Internet Service Provider.

    Bob Niland, Nov 30, 2003
  17. Bill Hilton

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    Yeah, but, like, I have Photoshop on my laptop so I can do non-serious
    work while on the road -- like getting a picture good enough to send to
    someone via email. I've calibrated my laptop monitor, and it's a Mac
    Powerbook, so it's actually quite close to good enough for serious
    work, though not quite there.

    The activation process is an inconvenience. If I didn't use a Mac, I'd
    have to re-activate every time I upgrade a computer -- and though that
    doesn't happen all that often, who's to say when Adobe will stop taking
    activations for the current version to force upgrades? What if they go
    out of business completely?

    If I have three computers, which I do, and I'm only going to be using
    Photoshop on one of them at a time, which I am, and I'm not going to be
    giving it to anyone else, which I'm not, then I'm not going to have any
    trouble under the usual license for commercial software. At this point
    it becomes less of a hassle to just get a cracked version of the program
    than to deal with activation, not to mention that I don't feel like being
    treated like a criminal by default as well as being inconvenienced for
    having actually paid for some software which is extremely overpriced in
    the first place and which I could easily steal but choose not to.

    If Adobe wants to know why Photoshop is so widely pirated, they need
    look no further than the price tag. Everyone I know with a non-legit
    copy of it would be happy to buy it for a couple hundred bucks, even
    in preference to a free stolen copy. If they cut the price in half
    they'd probably make more than twice as many sales.

    How about an anti-pirating scheme based on public-key cryptography?
    Let my copy of the software run on any system as long as my private key
    can be used to decrypt some key file. That would be almost completely
    transparent in normal use, and I'd have no problem with it.

    Jeremy Nixon, Nov 30, 2003
  18. Bill Hilton

    Bob Niland Guest

    A cleaner alternative to the current activation
    schemes is the modular security dongle.

    These used to be common back when there wasn't
    really a spare port, nor consistent port
    behaviour, which caused them to be dropped.

    But nowadays, virtually any computer on which
    someone plans to run any Adobe product, XP or
    any Macromedia product, has a USB port.

    A USB 2.0 dongle, that was actually a hub, and
    passed-thru the connection so as not to even
    "consume" the port, would do the trick.

    Adobe could include two dongles in each product.
    Each dongle could contain submodules so a single
    dongle could license multiple products.

    You could install the software on multiple
    machines, and move the dongle(s) to whichever
    machine you were using.

    I refuse to buy Activation-protected products.
    I'd consider dongle-protected (in fact, I used
    to run such a product eons ago when my home
    computer was an early Unix workstation).

    Bob Niland, Nov 30, 2003
  19. Bill Hilton

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Many companies never get past the high-price/low-volume model. The ones
    that do eventually end up as poor as Wal-Mart.

    When a product is first developed, the price has to be high if
    development costs are to be amortized in any reasonable period of time;
    sometimes even then it may take a decade. But Photoshop was written
    long ago, and each new update is more and more frosting on the cake and
    less and less any substantive change, so that argument began to wear
    thin several versions ago.

    There's worse. Quark XPress costs $2300 in Europe, and requires a
    dongle (no doubt because it costs $2300). It's only worth about a tenth
    of that price. Quark could make more money with a lower price and
    higher volume, but understanding the advantages of volume sales seems to
    be beyond many managers.
    It has to be exportable and importable anywhere in the world. Crypto
    tends to cause legal problems.

    Nevertheless, many types of software do use some species of crypto for
    copy protection.
    In the absence of special hardware, it's very hard to link software to
    human users. It generally has to be limited to specific machines
    instead. The Ethernet card is an obvious choice. Even in cards that
    can change their addresses in software, the protection would still be
    possible because the card cannot have an infinite number of MAC
    addresses simultaneously.

    Mxsmanic, Nov 30, 2003
  20. Your license agreement does not expire when a new version of the software is
    released, and it does not expire if Adobe goes out of business. In either
    situation, Adobe would have to provide you with a patch to remove activation
    or some other way to make sure that the product could continue to be used.

    See the license agreement:

    http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/cs_combined.pdf

    and the activation FAQ:

    http://www.adobe.com/activation/main.html

    -Mike (not speaking for Adobe, and not defending activation--just trying to
    help provide information)

    Michael Geary, Nov 30, 2003