    facts. The poll referred to, and the impression of the numbers of
    complaints in newsgroups, don't really tell us much.

    <snip>

    Stephen H. Westin, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Bill Hilton

    MarkH Guest

    What you are referring to is the casual copier, they can’t get a free copy
    at home of the software they use at work. Although Photoshop CS will let
    you activate it on 2 computers.

    No pirate is going to find it difficult to download a cracked Photoshop CS.

    Activation is another thing that makes life for the honest purchasers of
    software more difficult than for the pirates.

    MarkH, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Bill Hilton

    Troy Guest

    That's what I was trying to say. The casual copier probably won't be
    able to find a crack or, if they can, won't have the guts to run
    something from the "other side of the 'net."
    Copy protection will always be present. Of all the copy protection
    schemes I've seen, activation is the least invasive and least
    inconvenient. At least you can easily make a backup of your CD, you
    don't have to deal with having a dongle sticking out the back of your PC,
    and, in most cases, you just click a button once, and you're done.

    I even had to activate Windows XP over the phone once for a system that
    didn't have Internet access. It actually was relatively painless and
    completely automated. On my system at home, I've had to re-activate
    Windows twice due to hardware changes (it took many changes BTW, as I
    constantly am upgrading my system with stuff that comes from a friends
    "PityPile"). In both instances, it automatically re-activated without
    complaining. If Adobe follows Microsoft's lead in this, activation will
    not be a problem for the majority of people, and it sure beats the
    alternatives for copy protection.

    Ideally, no protection would be best, but that's just not going to
    happen. If activation means more copies of Photoshop are bought by the
    casual copiers, in Adobe's view, it means more money, which is what
    Adobe's in business to do.

    Troy, Nov 25, 2003
  4. Bill Hilton

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Adobe is using a system that corrupts the disk; that's the problem, not
    the activation itself.

    Mxsmanic, Nov 25, 2003
  5. Bill Hilton

    Rick Guest

    The SafeCast copy protection can indeed corrupt a disk,
    particularly if one has a multiboot system or is using a custom
    boot loader. SafeCast writes a signature into absolute sector
    32 of the installation drive, which is supposed to be a reserved
    area. If Photoshop CS is installed after this sector has been
    written to by, e.g. a custom boot loader, it will likely prevent
    the system from booting at all, and in a worst-case scenario
    will corrupt the disk's partition table, trashing all data on the
    drive.

    Intuit had lawsuits filed against them by customers who lost
    their data because of SafeCast's copy protection. While the
    number of lawsuits is unknown, the problem was widespread
    enough where it nearly escalated into a class action lawsuit.
    Almost immediately Intiut announced an "updated" verison of
    TurboTax that did not include the same copy protection.

    Rick

    Rick, Nov 25, 2003
  6. Bill Hilton

    Dave Head Guest

    Hee hee. I like it!

    Hey, I belong to the NRA, too - another "Protect/Expand out rights" kinda
    organization...

    Dave Head

    Dave Head, Nov 25, 2003
  7. Bill Hilton

    Dave Head Guest

    Hi Bill,

    Yes, this covers the computer in the bedroom and the computer in the hamshack,
    but the laptop is left cold, as is the computer at work. The work computer is
    iffy as to whether I'd put it on there anyway, but the 3 I do own I would
    surely want to have it.
    Prolly.

    Such restrictions just get my goat is all. I don't much like copy protection
    on DVDs, CDs, video tapes, etc. either.

    I even bought a pair of speakers where the literature with it said I couldn't
    use them in a commercial setting such as a concert. Ha. They can try and stop
    me - I own them, and there's no intellectual property rights involved.
    Speakers are kinda big - 95 lbs apiece - so they would really light up an
    average wedding reception if I was so inclined.

    Anyway, I'll get by - somehow! <G> I aim to do it while witholding support to
    SW manufacturers that impose unreasonable restrictions, although WinXP was too
    good to pass up, darn it.

    Dave Head

    Dave Head, Nov 25, 2003
  8. Bill Hilton

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Justiably so. There is _no_ excuse for a copy protection system that
    writes to reserved spaces on the disk.

    I don't understand why more software products don't use the MAC address
    on Ethernet cards for unique identification. Most PCs have an Ethernet
    card these days, and every Ethernet card in the world has a unique
    address.

    Mxsmanic, Nov 25, 2003
  9. Two reasons: Some PC's don't have an ethernet card, and not every
    ethernet card has a unique address.

    # ifconfig -a | grep ether
    ether 8:0:20:8e:f0:ed
    ether 8:0:20:8e:f0:ed
    ether 8:0:20:8e:f0:ed
    ether 8:0:20:8e:f0:ed

    (Ok, so it's a sun, not a pc, but it's the first and closest host with
    multiple interfaces and it shows that the host can control the
    ethernet addres of the card.)

    Asbjørn Bjørnstad, Nov 26, 2003
  10. Bill Hilton

    Troy Guest

    Ah. I had misread. I had thought it was simply reading the volume serial
    number of the disk and using that to determine if if were a new system.

    Writing directly to the hard disk is bad. I'm surprised XP even allows
    this (okay, maybe not too surprised).
    That would seem to make much more sense, especially since hard drives
    are changed out far more often than NICs. However, the fact is that it
    is very easy to change your MAC address. So, one person just needs to
    install and activate, then publish their MAC address to the world to
    defeat the activation.

    Troy, Nov 26, 2003
  11. Bill Hilton

    Nick C Guest

    I am aware of many who still use Photoshop 5.5 and though I'm using
    version 7, I think I liked version 6.5 better and may go back to it.

    Nick

    Nick C, Nov 26, 2003
  12. Bill Hilton

    Nick C Guest

    Frankly, I have no plans to use CS.

    Nick

    Nick C, Nov 26, 2003
  13. Bill Hilton

    Nick C Guest

    I was happy with version 6.5 but bought the v7 upgrade because reports
    praised the version. After having used v7, I would discount the reports
    and be satisfied with v6.5.

    Nick

    Nick C, Nov 26, 2003
  14. Bill Hilton

    Nick C Guest

    I have three machines, two Apple and a PC and don't intend to buy
    multiple copies for these machines. I'm into a hobby not a business.

    I suppose if Adobe charged less for Photoshop 7 then most would buy it
    rather than Photoshop Elements. My guess would be that Adobe would be
    better off lowering the price of Photoshop 7 to be within the reach of
    the average working stiff and drop Elements. There would be much less
    piracy resulting in a better return on their product.

    Regardless of what is said about piracy, so long as procurement cost is
    high, piracy will exist. It may well be that piracy isn't hurting Adobe
    as much as Adobe is hurting Adobe. Since version 5, the newer versions
    have not been so radical a change as to imply an enormous amount of
    money was spent to make the changes. But, I'm only guessing, as I'm not
    or was not in the program writing business. However, I do have
    experience in knowing when I wanted company software writers to upgrade
    the complex company software I was using in a network of computers that
    were scattered world wide, incorporating desired changes, it was done in
    short time, requiring very little manpower.

    Nick

    Nick C, Nov 26, 2003
  15. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: Nick C
    There was no version 6.5 of Photoshop ...

    Bill Hilton, Nov 26, 2003
  16. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: Nick C
    There was no version 6.5 ... but we're glad to hear that you are happy with it
    :)

    Bill Hilton, Nov 26, 2003
  17. Bill Hilton

    Rick Guest

    I've never heard a more accurate or succinct summation of
    today's major software developers. Microsoft started the trend,
    once they got a virtual monopoly on the OS market they got away
    with reselling SIX different versions of the SAME operating system
    (Win95, Win95 OSR2, Win98, Win98SE, WinME) and THREE
    different versions of another (WinNT, Win2K, WinXP), pawning
    them all off as new OSes, and charging $100-$300 for all of them.
    It was inevitable that other developers would try and duplicate
    MS's unprecedented consumer ripoff.

    Rick

    Rick, Nov 26, 2003
  18. Bill Hilton

    Mxsmanic Guest

    It doesn't allow it ... unless you are logged in under an administrator
    account. None of the NT-based versions of Windows allow that kind of
    access to a disk from ordinary user processes under non-privileged
    accounts.
    That could cause problems real quick in some configurations. What if
    several people on the same LAN wanted to use the same pirated copy of
    Photoshop?

    Isn't there a way to read the factory-set MAC address on an Ethernet
    card?

    Mxsmanic, Nov 26, 2003
  19. Bill Hilton

    Mxsmanic Guest

    I haven't upgraded that far. I'm still on 5.0.2. Works great.

    Mxsmanic, Nov 26, 2003
  20. Bill Hilton

    Mxsmanic Guest

    No, I'm afraid it didn't. Software companies have been doing this since
    time immemorial. It's the only business model compatible with
    perpetual, one-time licensing.
    MS didn't invent this. Isn't there anyone left in IT who has been
    working in the field for more than a few years?

    Mxsmanic, Nov 26, 2003