    with corruption of the disk.
    It does in this case. The activation mechanism writes to reserved disk
    sectors, corrupting the disk.

    Mxsmanic, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Um, Rick, that is a self-selecting survey, so its results are just about
    meaningless. The survey does not show that two-thirds of *Adobe's customers*
    say they won't upgrade because of activation, it shows that two-thirds of
    *the people who voted in the survey* say that. Those people are hardly a
    random sampling of Adobe's customers.

    Surveys like this are heavily skewed toward people who care enough about the
    issue to vote. People who aren't bothered by activation are much less likely
    to vote in the survey.

    You can bet that if two-thirds of Adobe's customers decided not to upgrade
    because of activation, Adobe would drop activation like a hot potato. But if
    you want to convince Adobe of that--or anyone who knows anything about
    statistics--you'll need a survey with proper methodology, not a goofball
    self-selecting survey like this one.

    -Mike (not speaking for my employer, Adobe Systems, Inc.)

    Michael Geary, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Bill Hilton

    --o-- Guest

    you've payed for it, there's your morals taken care of,
    now you can just crack the damn thing and never worry
    about it again...

    --o--, Nov 25, 2003
  4. Bill Hilton

    Dave Head Guest

    My problem with activation is that my concept of purchasing something is that
    _I_ purchased it, not 1 or 2 of my computers purchased.

    OK, I can install it on my home computer and my laptop, but I have to buy it
    all over again if I want it on the computer at work or the computer out in my
    hamshack.

    I maintain that I own it, and should be able to use it on any machine I choose
    to use, whether its my machine or not. You could do this with a dongle.

    The fact that a very large percentage of users will not become customers once
    activation is predominate just shows that activation proponents are _not_
    losing all the money they claim they are losing. Whether going through the
    activation gyration will increase their bottom line or not will be
    problematical.

    For my part, between the $600 plus pricetag and the fact that I'm an amateur
    photographer who simply owns a really nice digital camera (D1x), I'll go with
    gimp, and suffer whatever shortcomings it may have. But if I want to use it on
    6 computers, I'll use it on 6 computers.

    Dave Head

    Dave Head, Nov 25, 2003

  5. The issue to me isn't intrusion or privacy, but the fact that the software
    vendor has their hand around my throat, and can cut off my ability to
    install (or even use, if they want) the software I have paid for, anytime
    they like. Everyone buys a new computer every few years, and anyone
    who thinks this does not amount to 'renting' software is being somewhat
    naive, IMO. At what point will Adobe cease registering the current
    version, making an upgrade necessary?

    There is a legal issue that may not have been tested. The U.S. Supreme
    Court ruled several years ago that a software purchaser has the RIGHT
    (not privilege) to make up to two backup copies of any software they
    buy, no matter what the license agreement says. I am no lawyer, but it
    might be argued that such a registration process makes it impossible to
    effectively implement that right, especially if the software vendor were
    to go out of business, making registration impossible. Any legal minds
    around? :)

    Judson McClendon, Nov 25, 2003
  6. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: "Tony Spadaro"
    It retails for $169 but my local boys didn't have it in stock so I checked on
    the net and Dell had it for 10% off, free shipping, so $152.10 ... so check
    around on one of the price shopping bots for the best price.
    Yes, just phone in ... http://www.adobe.com/activation/main.html ... quoting
    "Users can choose the activation process they prefer: by Internet or phone,
    either with a live Customer Care representative or through the 24-hour
    automated Activation Voice Response (AVR) system. "

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Nov 25, 2003
  7. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: Dave Head
    You can activate it on two desktop computers, I know it says one desktop and a
    laptop but fer sure you can activate on two desktops.
    Photoshop Elements probably has everything you need.

    Bill Hilton, Nov 25, 2003
  8. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: "Scott Fairbairn"
    Probably not. Elements is the better program for those guys, I think.
    The Shadow/Highlight tool was the best new feature for me. Depends on what
    you're using Photoshop for.
    Most of the better known Photoshop authors say you're better off editing in 16
    bit mode, but one guy (Dan Margulis) says it doesn't matter. Here's a link to
    a pro-16 bit article ... http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/7627.html
    and here's a link to one of Dan's discussions ...
    http://www.ledet.com/margulis/ACT_postings/ColorCorrection/ACT-8-bit-16-bit.htm
    (Andrew Rodney and Chris Murphy are in this thread and are both well known
    experts who are disagreeing with Dan). As someone put it, "For every expert
    there's an equal and opposite expert". Though Dan is definitely in the
    minority on this issue.
    I have the Breezebrowser demo and have used it some but didn't like it as well
    as the Photoshop converter. You can download it and try it for free ...
    anything's better than the Canon converter :)

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Nov 25, 2003
  9. Bill Hilton

    dperez Guest

    Personally, I despise this kind of petty bullshit. It reminds me of the stupid
    old days when companies like Lotus locked their spreadsheet software so you
    couldn't copy the floppy... It just led to people cracking the copy protection
    and giving it to everybody they knew...

    I have machines at home in two locations, and a separate one in the RV when I'm
    traveling. I'm sure as hell not going to buy MULTIPLE copies just so ONE PERSON
    can be on ONE MACHINE at different times.

    I'd have more sympathy for Adobe if they weren't charging an astronomical amount
    for their software. 'Course if it was more reasonably priced, I suspect there'd
    be a LOT less piracy... Seems like the chicken and egg thing - they charge so
    much people pirate the thing, and they say they're charging so much BECAUSE
    people pirate it...

    I voted "NO" on the upgrade. Time to stay with V7 or find a competitors
    product.

    dperez, Nov 25, 2003
  10. Bill Hilton

    Mxsmanic Guest

    I'm still on version 5.x, and it seems to do everything that I require.
    The fact is, very few people NEED to upgrade, so if they can get over
    that conditioned reflex instilled by vendors that compels them to
    upgrade for no good reason, they can save a lot of money.

    Mxsmanic, Nov 25, 2003
  11. Dave Head wrote in part:
    You're one of those, eh? Go ahead. Load your little open-source commie
    pinko terrorist programs on more than one computer, just like a, uh, a
    hacker! Soon that kind of program will be redefined as criminal in the US.

    Sooner than you think, too.

    You see, even if these programs aren't themselves illegal, they
    encourage dangerous attitudes among the users. Imagine if *everybody*
    thought they had the right to control their computers as if they were
    their own property.

    Corry

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Nov 25, 2003
  12. Bill Hilton

    lee belmont Guest

    I've just joined the group, and within the next 2 weeks will be buying
    the Apple G4 17" notebook, along with the Adobe CS Creative Suite. I
    am a full-time college student earning a certificate in Website
    Development & Design, and both items are on my main "GITTIM" list.
    The last version of Photoshop I bought was 5.5, so it's time for me to
    upgrade. I find no problem with activation as far as Adobe is
    concerned - they produce top quality software, and if that is what a
    person wants, he should be willing to pay the cost to assure the
    producer he is not working his *** off for nothing.

    lee belmont, Nov 25, 2003
  13. Bill Hilton

    JP White Guest

    Not true, I have an IQ of 33. So There!! :)

    JP

    JP White, Nov 25, 2003
  14. Bill Hilton

    Joe Guest

    TROY! TROY! TROY! you are going backward without knowing it! the
    pirates are the ones don't have to deal with problem because they can
    by-pass the activation when the ones who pay Adobe are the ones who have
    to live with all kinda of actication problems.

    Joe, Nov 25, 2003
  15. Bill Hilton

    Joe Guest

    I too am not an owner of a studio but like you the owner of digital
    camera so I wouldn't have to spend extra money for extra problem. I
    have been using Photoshop since I got my 3rd scanner many years ago, and
    Photoshop was a special bundle deal (extra $100 for FULL version) and
    that was how I got started with Photoshop.

    I am the only one using Photoshop and only one computer, but I just
    want to feel I have full control of what I pay for. The current
    Photoshop 7 is lot more than what I need, and I only use a very small
    percent of the what Phtoshop can do.

    Joe, Nov 25, 2003
  16. Bill Hilton

    Troy Guest

    I was talking more of the casual pirate, not the hard core pirate. I
    know the activation can be bypassed by those with the knowledge (and
    guts) to run a crack or a hax0red version of the app.

    Activation is not meant to stop those pirates. Pretty much nothing can
    stop those pirates. I've seen many forms of copy protection over the
    years, from a laser-burnt hole at a specific location on a floppy to
    dongles to complicated code wheels. In each case, the protection was
    bypassed by simply modifying the app so it doesn't look for the
    protection.

    What activation stops is those people who burn a copy at the office or
    from a friend and take it home. It makes sure that people their
    Photoshop keys very carefully, since it can only be activated once.

    Maybe I should have said "many pirates" instead of "most pirates."
    However, the fact is that activation does prevent many people from
    copying a program while still allowing people to easily make legitimate
    backup copies of the media.

    Troy, Nov 25, 2003
  17. Bill Hilton

    Joe Guest

    Well, you see thing and you don't believe it then what else you want
    to see? If you don't believe the pool then at least you can see what
    has been going on around the Photoshop newsgroups, can't you?

    Usually there would be lot of talks about the newer features of newer
    version months before the release... now, almost no talk about the newer
    feature and most about the activation. I have dropped one Photoshop
    newsgroup (links to Adobe site I guess) because it had nothing but few
    hundreds of messages about activation daily, and I saw about 2 users
    (one was Carol) were so happy with the activation, they just can't stop
    expressing their happiness (lot of messages from these 2 users and the
    activation).

    I guess you can speak for your employer now, or at least for your
    bosses (the ones who pay you) <g>

    Joe, Nov 25, 2003
  18. Bill Hilton

    Rick Guest

    Exactly. The talk I'm hearing in the field about CS has very little
    to do with its new features, it's all about activation. That's why
    the poll showing 2/3 of existing PS owners aren't planning to
    upgrade to CS because of activation strikes me as being an
    accurate (or at least close to accurate) figure.

    Rick

    Rick, Nov 25, 2003
  19. Bill Hilton

    Troy Guest

    Not only is it a self-selecting survey, it's relatively easy to vote
    multiple times. With only 433 people voting, it's nowhere near a large
    enough survey to counter that possibility.

    Troy, Nov 25, 2003
  20. Bill Hilton

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Why?