photoshop color management

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by andre, Jan 26, 2005.

  1. andre

    andre Guest

    Hi all,

    today I opened up a file in Photoshop and all the colors were totally
    off. I have edited the file on a desktop computer and I am looking at it
    with my laptop now. I have calibrated my sceens and everything was
    fine until now. For some reasons all colors are totally off, but outside
    of photoshop they appear to be fine (when using the windows picture viewer).
    Something screwed up my color management in PS and I don't know what it is.
    Here are my settings (Windows Machine):
    working spaces:
    RGB: Adobe 98
    CMYK: Offset print - Euro Catalog
    Gray: Gray Gamma 2.2
    Spot: Dot Grain 20%

    color management policies
    RGB,CMYk,Gray: Preserve Embedded Profiles

    Conversion options
    Engine: Adobe
    Intent Perceptual

    When I set View -> Proof Setup -> Monitor RGB and enable View -> Proof
    Colors it looks much better but I did not have to do that before and I
    don't think i should be doing this. Also I need to do that on every
    picture now, that seems wrong.

    Hopefully some of you are kind enough to help me out.

    Thanks

    Andre

    andre, Jan 26, 2005

  2. andre

    Jim Guest

    Most likely explanation is that you need to create a new monitor profile.
    Jim

    Jim, Jan 26, 2005

  3. In my case thats not the problem. If I open the same picture outside
    photoshop it looks fine. Even if I open the picture in photoshop on the
    other computer through remote desktop (means I am still viewing on the
    same machine) it looks fine.
    To me that looks like something is messed up in photoshop and I am
    trying to figure out what.
    Anyone?

    Andre

    andre.gunther, Jan 26, 2005
  5. andre

    dwight Guest

    You might try comp.graphics.apps.photoshop...

    dwight

    dwight, Jan 26, 2005
  6. andre

    Frank ess Guest

    Can you find the "return all options to default" button? May be worth a
    try ...
    Frank ess

    "Because of the Swiss Cheese nature of everyone's life experience and
    education, the Whoosh Bird can drop a load on anyone's head, without
    warning." -Albrecht Einstein

    Frank ess, Jan 26, 2005
  7. andre

    Bill Hilton Guest

    For some reasons all colors are totally off, but outside
    viewer).

    Photoshop uses the ICM color management flow, Windows PV does not.
    Most likely this is why the files look different.
    When you do this you are bypassing your monitor's ICC profile and
    viewing the file with color management turned off. I often do this
    with jpegs to see what they'll (likely) look like when people view them
    on the web. This is a sure-fire indicator that there's something wrong
    in the CM flow.

    I agree with Jim, who said it's most probable that you have a problem
    with your monitor ICC profile (which Photoshop uses and non-color
    managed programs don't). Check to see if your monitor profile is being
    picked up as the default (right-click on the open desktop, then
    Properties > Settings > Advanced > Color Management and check the
    default). If you have a generated profile from somewhere other than
    Adobe Gamma check to see that Gamma is NOT in your Start folder since
    if it is you are getting two sets of values loaded into the video card
    LUTs, which causes problems. If all else fails then regenerate your
    monitor profile.

    You can post this on comp.graphics.apps.photoshop (where it's asked
    about once a month) but the answer always comes back to color-managed
    vs non-color-managed apps and the accuracy of your monitor profile.
    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jan 26, 2005
  8. andre

    Richard M. Guest

    My guess is that somehow Adobe Gamma is activated AND you are using the
    monitor profile

    Richard M., Feb 3, 2005