Photoshop book recommendations

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tim, Dec 14, 2006.

  1. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Hi

    Can anyone tell me if there is a particular Photoshop book which stands out
    of the crowd? I can use basic tools like straightening converging lines and
    basic clone brush work but that's as far as it goes. I totally suck at using
    layers (don't know why as I use them all day long in AutoCAD - but I do) and
    I really seem to struggle making good masks.

    I realise it's probably a bit of a personal depending on which field you
    work in, which is one of the reasons for posting. I'd like something that
    was biased towards photography and not graphics or pre-press work.

    I've read reviews of The Photoshop Book for digital Photographs by Scott
    Kelby it sounds about right but I think that it might stop just a shade
    short of the level I need

    Thanks for any advice

    Tim

    Tim, Dec 14, 2006

  2. Tim

    Guest

    That's the book I was going to suggest to you. Why do you feel it is
    just shy of what you need? Are you looking for a Photoshop book that
    specializes in layers and masks?

    Chieh

    , Dec 14, 2006

  3. That's the book I was going to suggest to you. Why do you feel it is
    just shy of what you need? Are you looking for a Photoshop book that
    specializes in layers and masks?

    Chieh[/QUOTE]

    Check the Powells Books website. They have dozens of PS books.

    If you want to get complicated there is a PS magazine that has many tips
    and "secrets" of the PS experts.

    Ockham's Razor, Dec 14, 2006
  4. Hi,
    Do you have a url for that magazine?

    Arnor Baldvinsson, Dec 14, 2006
  5. Tim

    JC Dill Guest

    Reading reviews of a book is not the same as reading and using the
    book itself. I suggest you actually use this book before looking for
    some other book that does more. After you use this book, then tell us
    what you still need and I'm sure someone will know of a book that
    addresses it.

    jc

    JC Dill, Dec 15, 2006
  6. Tim

    Dave Guest

    CS Artistry, by Haynes and Crumpler, I found this the best one for me. good
    detail, walks you through examples, good discussion of technique and
    workflow. Walk through this book page by page, and at the end you will be
    very confident. I refer back to it all the time.

    Also have a look at books by Deke Mclelland. I read Adobe Photoshop CS
    one-on-one. Cookbook techniques but very practical, he's a good teacher.

    Scott Kelby is a good writer, but coverage of topics is a little
    superficial. May be OK for an intro.

    Dave

    Dave, Dec 15, 2006
  7. I've read reviews of The Photoshop Book for digital Photographs by Scott
    I can't stand stand Kelby's writing style. He seems to make a project of
    fitting in as many inane and often pathetic "jokes" as possible. Wading
    past the "your computer will blow up if you miss this next step" bits
    trying to get to the base of what he's saying is a horrible reading
    experience. On the other hand he clearly knows what he's talking about,
    and he sells enough books to justify whatever writing style he chooses,
    so you might get on with him.

    The thinking man's choice would be Martin Evening and his snappily
    titled "Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers: A Professional Image
    Editor's Guide to the Creative Use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and
    PC." It assumes a bit more knowledge of Photoshop and is a lot less
    irreverent than the Selby books. It also pushes detail (both technical
    detail and image detail) a good bit further.

    Derek Fountain, Dec 15, 2006
  8. Tim

    Brian Guest

    I have both the Kelby and Evening books and find they complement each
    other - Evening has more detail and says what PS does, Kelby shows you
    how.. (I found his Bridge and RAW chapters the better of the two).

    Brian

    Brian, Dec 15, 2006
  9. Tim

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    "Photoshop LAB Color: The Canyon Conundrum and Other Adventures in the
    Most Powerful Colorspace" by Dan Margulis

    Paul Mitchum, Dec 16, 2006
  10. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Thanks for your help, looks like it's Scott Kelby for starters and then see
    where we go from there.

    Cheers

    Tim

    Tim, Dec 17, 2006

  11. Thanks for your help, looks like it's Scott Kelby for starters and then see
    where we go from there.[/QUOTE]

    Hope you can stand his style.

    Ockham's Razor, Dec 17, 2006