    portrait mode.

    What is the underlying cause? Why do some programs manage to treat them
    correctly while others fail please?

    Terry Pinnell, Jan 6, 2012

  2. Terry,

    The camera can set a flag in the file's EXIF data to say that the image
    was rotated. However, this flag was either not present or not used in
    early EXIF data (cameras typically did not have the information to
    record), and early software did not bother to read that field and rotate
    the displayed image accordingly. What version of IrfanView do you have?
    I would expect that program to honour the rotation flag. Perhaps it's an
    option you can set.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 6, 2012

  3. Terry Pinnell

    me Guest

    With Irfanview possibly failure of you to correctly configure it?

    Options =>Properties/Settings => JPG / PCD / GIF => check Auto-rotate
    image according to EXIF info (if available).

    me, Jan 6, 2012
  4. Thanks both.

    Yep, explanation for (latest version) IrfanView's failure was because
    somehow that option had become unchecked.

    Underlying problem however (and reason for Explorer thumbnails being
    incorrect) appears to be due to a frequently-reported glitch with some
    Canon orientation sensors.

    Terry Pinnell, Jan 8, 2012