Photos of a rocket dropping of the residual fuel

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David J Taylor, Oct 20, 2009.

  1. Photos of a rocket dropping of the residual fuel
    From the HearSat list, but with considerable photographic interest:

    Report from Nicolas in France:
    "Today, at 16:12 UTC, an Atlas 5 rocket sent the satellite DMSP F18 from
    Vandenberg. A last firing after the separation of the satellite took place
    over Europe, and was followed by the dropping of the residual fuel. I saw
    (with my eyes!!), since France, this phenomenon"

    Report from Nils in Germany:
    "I´ve watched this event yesterday evening from Germany too. It was really
    amazing, I´ve never seen this before; two clouds (easily detectable by the
    naked eye), the first flying ca. 1:30 Min before the other one, which is a
    little bigger in diameter. Around the whole was a big circle, which must
    have come from either the separation or the firing. I assume the
    separation.
    Was an great event.
    Some pictures here;"
    http://www.balkonsternwarte.de/400d/startrails18102009mitObjekt.html

    Yes, it's well worth looking at the pictures and the resulting animation.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 20, 2009

  2. David J Taylor

    Ramblin' Man Guest

    I think the first time I could ever conclusively say that I witnessed a
    "UFO" was when I saw a small comet-like subject high above the western
    horizon, well after sunset. I happened to have the smaller of my telescopes
    out that night and trained it on the core. The reason I thought "UFO"(?)
    was because it was not behaving as any common comet. The tail was facing
    toward the now-past sunset, and it was actually slowly moving through the
    skies, the voluminous tail growing larger and longer as I watched with my
    naked-eye. Eventually becoming a huge brush in the night-skies. Elapsed
    time approx. 8-10 minutes. When training my telescope on the "cometary
    core" it eventually dimmed to a dull-red color and finally faded. Its huge
    tail taking several more minutes to dissipate.

    For once in my life; after a life-time of watching night-skies through
    telescopes, binoculars, and naked eyes (NOT looking for ufo's); I finally
    thought I saw a genuine UFO. I'm a born but hopeful skeptic. Life is out
    there, but I sincerely doubt that anything of higher intelligence would
    ever want to visit, much less stay here. Easily understandable. :) It's all
    I can do to keep from running away screaming over the blatant displays of
    ignorance and stupidity of humanity myself. I pity the more intelligent
    species that might have to stumble on this mass of ignorance and lack of
    wisdom. Aside all that....

    Logging onto the internet to see if there were any other reports,
    eventually I found out it was the space-shuttle dumping excess fuel and
    fluids before landing, a whole half-continent away.

    Nonetheless, it was an impressive sight that late evening. And only
    reminded me of something that Bucky Fuller once said, "Sometimes I think we
    are alone. Sometimes I think we are not. In either case the thought is
    quite staggering."

    Has to be one or the other, when you really think about it. The either/or
    is quite staggering. Take your pick and let your mind and emotions stagger.
    Though I suspect the "alone" option the more staggering of the two. Then
    again, the sci-fi movies that show us being consumed or altered irrevocably
    are also quite staggering. No ... I think alone is more staggering. It
    means this is it. This is all we'll ever have to work with. The only
    challenge we'll ever have is ourselves. How pathetically sad that is. It
    leaves me with zero hope for humanity. Yes, alone in the universe is the
    most staggering. It means our own close-at-hand demise borne of human
    ignorance, mass psychosis (religions), and plain ol' stupidity.

    Ramblin' Man, Oct 20, 2009

  3. David J Taylor

    Paul Furman Guest

    Direct link to the animated gif:
    http://www.balkonsternwarte.de/400d/Bilder/Objekt.gif

    The large faint halo is surprising.
    Maybe glow in moist air?
    That is huge!

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Oct 20, 2009
  4. "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    []
    Good question, Paul. Perhaps you might like to e-mail the photographer
    and report back?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 21, 2009
  5. David J Taylor

    Paul Furman Guest

    Ich sprechen *sehr* bischen Deutsch.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Oct 21, 2009
  6. ... but the person with the technical hobby interest will most likely
    understand your English!

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 21, 2009
  7. David J Taylor

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Eight different words (I assume you know ja und nein)?

    Ray Fischer, Oct 22, 2009