Photos for email.... How big, is too big?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Big.David.NJ, Jan 30, 2008.

  1. Big.David.NJ

    Big.David.NJ Guest

    I am having some problems when receiving photos through email. I have
    a dial-up connection, as does a friend of mine and most of the time
    when I get a picture from her it is often 700kb... 800kb or at times
    well over a 1MB. It takes forever for it to download.

    Isn't this too big for dial-up users? I was under the impression that
    photos should be a much smaller file size, especially when dealing
    with people who have a dial-up connection.

    She often wonders if there could possibly be something my PC is doing
    in the process to enlarge the file size because I have an older
    machine but I told her that I thought that the file size was big
    because she SENT it that way.

    Any suggestions on what might be happening here?

    Thanks in advance

    DAVID

    Big.David.NJ, Jan 30, 2008

  2. Big.David.NJ

    richard Guest

    The size is typical of a BMP file. Try using JPG at 400x320.
    The file size will be reduced to aroun 30kb and highly acceptable for
    email.

    richard, Jan 30, 2008

  3. Big.David.NJ

    Richard Guest

    Get a new friend.

    Richard, Jan 30, 2008
  4. Big.David.NJ

    olfart Guest

    Nekkid pics are supposed to be big. Especially if she has oversized hooters

    olfart, Jan 30, 2008
  5. Big.David.NJ

    Mike Easter Guest

    That is a common problem.
    She isn't making good decisions about how to send someone a pic.
    You are correct, but many times the sender doesn't know how to resize a
    photo.

    For example, say someone took a pic with their digital camera and the
    camera thinks the resolution of the photo should be sufficient to print
    a nice pic as a 5x7 or whatever. A 5x7 print needs a lot more pixels
    than you need to see a modest sized screen picture.
    You are correct. She is wrong.
    She's sending you pics that have way too big a filesize to be
    gracefully/easily handled by dialup. She needs to learn enough about
    how to handle graphics to send you a modest sized picture. She could be
    trying to send a big .bmp file or she could be trying a big .jpg or
    other file.

    Mike Easter, Jan 30, 2008
  6. Big.David.NJ

    thanatoid Guest

    And what would you like as the prize for the stupidest reply in
    about two months?

    Me dumb. A date with a 38DDD hooker, of course.

    thanatoid, Jan 30, 2008
  7. Big.David.NJ

    thanatoid Guest

    That's SOME statement, buddy.
    A JPG can easily be 3 MB if the author is an idiot. Of course,
    the BMP would be 30MB's, but thankfully most digital cameras
    save in JPG. NOT thankfully, many also offer image sizes of up
    to 3000x2000 pixels and more.

    thanatoid, Jan 30, 2008
  8. Big.David.NJ

    Lookout Guest