Photos Downgraded By Transfer To Photo CDs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by denis, Jul 25, 2005.

  1. denis

    denis Guest

    My daughter took some Xd cards into Boots Chemists (a national chain
    here in the UK) and had the photos (taken during a recent holiday in
    Sri Lanka) loaded onto Photo CDs.

    I have been post processing these photos from the CDs (unfortunately
    she has wiped the XD cards clean - oh dear! ) and was amazed - and
    aghast - when I uploaded them to Kodak Easyshare for printing, to find
    they recommended the maximum size print as 3" x 2" - I took a chance
    and went ahead with an order for size 7"x5" anyway and they turned
    out surprisingly well.

    When I checked the images for their pixel dimensions they are W 533 x H
    400: this compares with her last holiday photos which I copied from her
    XD cards which are W 2400 x H 1536.Her camera incidentally is an
    Olympus Mju 300D - 3.2 MP and she would not have altered any of the
    settings.

    It looks as though Boots have downgraded the quality of the images when
    normal?

    denis, Jul 25, 2005

  2. denis

    Martin Brown Guest

    It always pays to be careful and check that files saved to CDs verify
    exactly to match the originals *before* you ever delete anything. This
    means loading every one in a slideshow program and seeing it load OK. It
    is far too easy to have a disk where only the thumbnails work.
    You might still be able to get most of them back with a proprietory
    image recovery program like eg Photorescue. It is easy enough provided
    that no extra images have overwritten the media yet and it is still
    possible to get some of them back even if you have reused part of the
    media. (Deleted doesn't mean destroyed until you overwrite the old data)
    Complain to their so called customer services. They might admit to an
    error. Downgrading images to sub megapixel size is just not acceptable.
    Their operators are clueless. If you get no joy try Which consumers
    services if you are a member.
    I don't know. I cut my own CDs as I don't trust Boots etc to do it
    reliably. I did use Kodak Photo CD once long ago when it was good.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Jul 25, 2005

  3. right, I agree.Dennis, why don't you just download your photos to your
    computer, save them to your hard drive and then burn a cd?Even the smallest
    hard drive today is capable of storing images in the number of tenths of
    thousands, and a cd or even a dvd burner is considered almost a standard
    peripheral.

    Dimitrios Tzortzakakis, Jul 25, 2005
  4. This is not a Kodak Photo CD. PhotoCDs have images at a resolution of
    3072x2048 (6 megapixels) and come from a film scanner. (There are some
    other ways to produce a PhotoCD but they wouldn't have been used here).

    This must be just a CD-R of images produced by Boots.
    It sounds like they dropped the resolution deliberately, but why remains
    a mystery. It must be more work for them to do this instead of just
    copying the images unaltered.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jul 25, 2005
  5. denis

    Owamanga Guest

    If she hasn't shot anything since, you can completely recover the
    files from the XD cards without much hassle.
    A true Kodak PhotoCD can be read in a number of different resolutions
    - are you sure your software/you didn't just pick up the wrong one?

    To check, take a look at how big these files are. PhotoCD images
    should be around 5-6Mb, a 500x400 jpeg would be closer to 60Kb.

    Owamanga, Jul 25, 2005
  6. denis

    Ronald Baird Guest

    Greetings Denis,

    Yikes that is not the correct size of the files from a Picture CD (not a
    Photo CD). Try inserting the CD into your system and opening it with
    Windows Explorer or My Computer. Click on the CDROM drive and the contents
    of the CD will display. If it is indeed a Picture CD, then there should be
    a folder called Pictures included. If not, look for any JPG files that are
    on the CD and review. View the contents by 'Detail' and you will see the
    actual size of the files that are on the CD. It may be that your software
    was set to a certain resolution and so brought in the images as such. If you
    saved them for uload that is what would be online for your use.

    Check the CD to be sure of the original images. They should be .jpg files.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ronald Baird, Jul 25, 2005
  7. denis

    Pete Guest

    I went through the same process at Boots recently, and the file in the
    Pictures folder are the correct size.

    Pete, Jul 25, 2005
  8. Hi,

    Try a recovery program to get the original pix back from the "erased"
    flash card. Do not let an outside party transfer your images to CD
    unless you are absolutely sure of the quality of the info on the CD.
    I've had CDs burned by dealers where the info then was barely enough for
    4x6" prints. You are better off by far to put the original images onto a
    hard drive,and then burning your own CDs.

    Good luck with the recovery of your images.

    Morton

    Morton Linder, Jul 26, 2005
  9. denis

    denis Guest

    Thanks to everybody who replied.

    The next thing I must do is to ask my daughter for her XD cards and try
    to recover the original images.

    Ironically I made up a 'dummy' photo order for 7x5 prints from Boots,
    using the programme on their CD - against each photo was the comment
    "print Quality will be poor".

    I have sent an email to Boots asking for an explanation.

    denis, Jul 26, 2005
  10. denis

    Martin Brown Guest

    Good luck. Don't assume that they know what they are talking about.

    Jessops are somewhat better and have operators that understand the gear,
    but I have never tried their optional CD service when using the Fuji
    frontier print service. YMMV

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Jul 26, 2005
  11. denis

    denis Guest

    Well, I have egg on my face! When I opened the Boots image programme I
    thought that the photos displayed were all that was there: I have now
    discovered that High Resolution or Low Resolution are available -
    obviously the latter was displayed by default and being unfamiliar with
    Photo Cds I was unaware that these options would be available.

    On switching to High Resolution the problem has been solved.

    Many thanks to you and all who responded so quickly - I am now a wiser
    man!

    denis, Jul 27, 2005