    24-120 VR lens. I only have the built in flash and 1gb CFC. Thanks!
    I was thinking of doing the NEF and JPEG option, for quick dispersal of
    the shots to the relatives and friends...

    kombi45, Jan 22, 2006

  2. kombi45

    MJG Guest

    Nice to see you are concentrating on the things that really matter
    whilst your wife gives birth. I'm sure she appreciates your tremendous
    support.........

    Personally I'd ditch the Nikon and buy a cheap disposable, if some
    images come out great, if some don't tough,

    F.G.S. just enjoy the moment and worry less about which camera you are
    using...........

    --

    MJG

    (Take THEDOG out to email me)

    MJG, Jan 23, 2006

  3. kombi45

    Mark² Guest

    Some would say that his care to try and capture a special moment with his
    wife in a photo IS part of focusing on what matters.
    Needless criticism.
    If he thinks about it NOW...he'll be prepared to capture that special moment
    with minimal fuss/distraction.

    But then...if you are just looking for things to needlessly criticise...have
    a ball!
    --IOW... F.G.S. -Let him enjoy his family's moment as they see fit.

    As for me...
    -I just spent the weekend going through old black & white photos from my
    childhood. The most precious (to me) of these were shots my dad managed to
    take only moments after my birth. The shot was of me...wrapped in my first
    blanket...in the arms of the Colombian nurse who helped deliver me. As I
    looked at those images, I felt grateful to my dad for having the presence of
    mind to capture those moments. In those days, few people took shots that
    soon, and I'm very glad to have them.

    To Ben-
    I think its great that you're trying to thoughtfully and intentionally
    capture those moments for posterity.
    By preparing as you are, you make it much more likely that your son/daughter
    will someday have the same enjoyment I just did going through his/her first
    images, as I just did.
    -Mark

    Mark², Jan 23, 2006
  4. kombi45

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Since you're much better equipped than I (photo wise), it's hardly my place
    to comment.
    However, I lost a once in a lifetime shot of a deer and her fawn in my
    backyard because I had to shoot thru' glass of door and forgot to turn off
    flash, so try to avoid taking thru' glass if they'll let you.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jan 23, 2006
  5. kombi45

    Tesco News Guest

    Hi.

    Your D70, and its built in Flash will do Ok, provided you have tested it out
    already, and know whether you are likely to need to apply some Flash
    Compensation.

    Maternity wards tend to be decorated in light colours, and if your New Born
    is wrapped in White, the Camera may Underexpose a little bit more than
    usual.

    So Auto Bracket.

    If SHE finds out that you have not got your technique right, you may well be
    spending some time sleeping with the Dog, when THEY get home.

    Roy G

    Tesco News, Jan 23, 2006
  6. kombi45

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Congrats on the child! I took my D70 and 18-70 lens and didn't use flash and
    there was just enough light for 1/60s f3.5 exposures when my second daughter was
    born 8.5 months ago. A few of the shots were at 1/45 (I think) so were a bit
    blurry but I got at least half a dozen good shots. Don't spend too much time
    behind the camera though, those moments are priceless.

    Ben Thomas, Jan 23, 2006
  7. wrote:
    : Well, the whiff and I are having our second child tomorrow. I was
    : looking for some down and dirty heuristics for taking photos in the
    : sterile conditions of the maternity ward. I am using a D70s with a
    : 24-120 VR lens. I only have the built in flash and 1gb CFC. Thanks!
    : I was thinking of doing the NEF and JPEG option, for quick dispersal of
    : the shots to the relatives and friends...

    : B

    One thought. Many physisians say that newborn eyes are very sensitive to
    bright lights and may even be harmed by camera flashes. So some hospitals
    do not allow flash photos at all. But most delivery rooms tend to be lit
    well enough that you should be able to take fairly good photos without a
    flash. You may have to bump up the ISO to reduce the camera shake induced
    by "new father jitters". So take lots of test shots prior to the main
    event and adjust the film speed, white balance and other settings so that
    when your newborn arrives you can catch a few shots before you are told to
    "put down that camera and pick up your son (or daughter as the case may
    be)". :)

    Congrats

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Jan 23, 2006
  8. kombi45

    Mark² Guest

    When I witnessed my sister giving birth to her son, there was no restriction
    and no cautions mentioned...and this was a hospital entirely devoted to
    giving birth...about 9 years ago.

    My dad was there...snapping away with shoe-mounted flash, and I was (gasp)
    video taping the whole thing.
    (Obviously we're a very close-knit family!!) :)

    Mark², Jan 23, 2006
  9. kombi45

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Well, ask the doctor. He may want the camera wiped down with a
    sterilizing solution (but I doubt it). No flash, but that shouldn't be
    a problem as the delivery room should be well lit. And try not to break
    the camera when you faint. Grin.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 23, 2006
  10. kombi45

    Bill Turlock Guest

    Ditto! I filmed my office factotum's daughter's birth, and she's shown
    it to the (now) six-year-old, who was fascinated!

    Bill

    Bill Turlock, Jan 23, 2006
  11. kombi45

    MJG Guest

    To Mark - you have of course completely missed my point. Whilst I am
    sure it will be really great in years to come if Ben has really
    perfectly composed and exposed pictures of his new born and wife what I
    feel his wife is probably more in need of at this time is some care and
    attention.

    I'm sure at the point of delivery and immediately afterwards she
    wouldn't give a flying fig if 'David Bailey' had managed to capture some
    great images, what she probably really would want is a a long and bid
    affectionate hug.

    If in the the midst of all this Ben manages to get some good shots with
    a quickly and 'spontaneously' produced disposable just great. The first
    images you so hanker after Mark are just as likely to be captured this
    way as they are with the Nikon.

    Just my two cents worth and to be honest I am not really bothered as to
    whether you concur or or not, as equally I am sure you are not bothered
    as to whether I concur with you.

    Now we can continue playing a game of Newsgroup 'pin pong' over the
    coming days until one of us gets sick and gives up or we can call it
    quits here and save ourselves a shed load of time between us.

    --

    MJG

    (Take THEDOG out to email me)

    MJG, Jan 23, 2006
  12. kombi45

    Mark² Guest

    I just think it's funny when complete strangers are so quick to assume they
    know what someone else's wife wants/needs.
    They aren't new at this...
    They've had kids before.
    They know how it works.
    He knows his wife.
    He wants some quality pictures.
    He didn't call the NG Doctor Laura to get her blessing...
    :)
    ??
    What a silly statement.
    -That only applies to those who have no idea how cameras work, and for whom
    every snap is a crap-shoot.

    Mark², Jan 24, 2006
  13. kombi45

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I think, if she's going to be filmed for posterity, that what she
    really wants is to have a chance to put on a little makeup, comb her
    hair, and not look like a sweaty, grunting woman that is in a great
    deal of discomfort and awkwardly positioned with parts visible that
    she doesn't think should be visible in the family album.

    Even if she doesn't feel that way, I hope that I'm not asked to view
    the album and note that she was nicked when prepped.

    The birth process is a wondrous thing, but I feel that the first
    picture should be of the smiling mother after some cosmetic
    restoration holding the newborn after some cleaning up.

    If the wife disagrees with this, fine. But, please, don't show the
    pictures unless asked. There are few things worse than having someone
    poke some photos at you and being asked "Wanna see some pics of the
    crowning?"

    I didn't ask for a video of my colonoscopy, either.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 24, 2006
  14. But I did find it fascinating watching mine on the monitor. Sort of like
    watching a science fiction movie of some sub-terranean craft.

    Edwin Pawlowski, Jan 24, 2006
  15. kombi45

    Mark² Guest

    Ya...its about as close as one can come to "sticking one's head up one's
    arse..."
    :)
    (to put it nicely...)

    Mark², Jan 24, 2006