    then I have to experiment somewhere between 12 and 36 point to get an
    appropriate font size on the screen. I daresay this is to be expected.

    Does anyone else have this problem - or can suggest a remedy? Thanks.

    John Lee, Apr 30, 2006

  2. In article <k885g.5200$>, John Lee
    <> wrote:

    > Very occasionally (as you would
    > logically expect would always happen) the resultant caption is absolutely
    > huge. I then try something sensible like 12 point and all is well.

    Are these photos the same dimensions?

    Phil Stripling, Apr 30, 2006

  3. John Lee

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 01 May 2006 16:19:56 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "John Lee"
    <> wrote:

    >Yes, that's what is so mysterious. The same thing was happening with an
    >earlier verion of PhotoPlus.

    What dpi does Photoplus think these images are. It will need dpi to
    convert points which is an absolute size to a number of pixels, right?
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, May 1, 2006
  4. John Lee

    John Lee Guest

    Yes, that's what is so mysterious. The same thing was happening with an
    earlier verion of PhotoPlus.

    John

    John Lee, May 1, 2006
  5. John Lee

    John Lee Guest

    I am not sure how dpi could be part of the problem, as I am generally
    speaking adding the captions to full screen 1600x200 images, for viewing on
    the screen - and not printing the images.

    John

    John Lee, May 1, 2006
  6. On Mon, 01 May 2006 21:10:11 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "John Lee"
    <> wrote:

    >I am not sure how dpi could be part of the problem, as I am generally
    >speaking adding the captions to full screen 1600x200 images, for viewing on
    >the screen - and not printing the images.

    Points are an ABSOLUTE unit of measurement, ie 1/72". The program has to
    assume some DPI in order to translate an x point font in y pixels of
    measure. You might better think of this as PPI, but all the programs use
    the term DPI.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), May 1, 2006
  7. John Lee

    Dave Cohen Guest

    John Lee wrote:
    > I tend to view most of my holiday digital images on screen, and use
    > PhotoPlus 9.01 to add captions. My problem is that in order to get a
    > readable size print on a full screen 1600x1200 image I have to use a minimum
    > of 28 point (Arial), preferably 36 point. Very occasionally (as you would
    > logically expect would always happen) the resultant caption is absolutely
    > huge. I then try something sensible like 12 point and all is well. However,
    > next time I try 12 point it is almost invisible and I have to revert to
    > 28/36 point. So I am constantly chopping and changing, and don't know where
    > I am.
    >
    > Another side issue is that when I crop and readjust the size of the image
    > then I have to experiment somewhere between 12 and 36 point to get an
    > appropriate font size on the screen. I daresay this is to be expected.
    >
    > Does anyone else have this problem - or can suggest a remedy? Thanks.

    I'm not sure I fully understand your problem, but I would do all the
    processing and sizing before you attempt to add a caption. Add your
    caption and adjust as needed. You are aware that text is on a special
    text layer and remains editable and movable until you merge layers.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Sep 16, 2006