  1. Ben Thomas

    ZONED! Guest

    How did my name head up a post without any of my words in it? ;o)

    ZONED!, Jan 16, 2005

  2. Ben Thomas

    Jer Guest

    Do you flame up a cigarette in someone's home when you're asked not to?
    Believe what you want, Ben - the performer is trying to be nice by
    asking, and it's considered rude to force someone to tell you. It
    shouldn't matter whether you think it's a money thing or not, because
    the why part of the request isn't predicated on what you believe, it's
    predicated on what the performer wants. If you want to take pictures of
    a live performance, negotiate with the performer (or the
    representatives) ahead of time, or produce your own live venue and take
    pictures of yourself. If you're going to be rude enough to force
    someone to tell you that your behaviour is unacceptable, don't expect
    the teller to be nice when they remind you of your own arrogance. If
    you don't like the rules, go play some other game. Jeez, some people
    walk around thinking they can do whatever they want just because they
    don't like the rules.

    Jer, Jan 16, 2005

  3. Ben Thomas

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Course not. Apples and oranges.
    Why are you so convinced that the conditions stated on the ticket are at the
    request of the performer themself?

    If you want to take pictures of
    Seriously, if they don't mind me looking at them, why would they mind me having
    a photo of them?

    My Digital World:
    Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
    Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
    Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
    Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

    Disclaimer:
    given nor endorsed by it.

    Ben Thomas, Jan 16, 2005
  4. Ben Thomas

    Larry Guest

    Apples/Oranges again!!!

    There is a MAJOR difference between looking and taking photos, but you
    obviously aren't going to change your mind. You have decided to remain
    ignorant, and to do something you have been asked NOT to do.

    People like you are the reason there are places you cant go with a camera,
    because they KNOW you will use it, even if you are asked not to (which you
    have been, by inference, on your ticket).

    Larry, Jan 16, 2005
  5. Ben Thomas

    ZONED! Guest

    Or a pirated recording? ;o)
    A memory cannot be sold.

    ZONED!, Jan 16, 2005
  6. Ben Thomas

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Assumed guilty before being proved innocent. Quite the contrary to one
    particular democratic aspect that we tend to place great importance on.

    And you didn't answer the question really. I did not state, nor imply that I
    would sell the photo - just have the photo.

    Ben Thomas, Jan 17, 2005
  7. Ben Thomas

    Ben Thomas Guest

    I'm trying to discuss the reason behind the rules printed on the ticket. I'm not
    simply trying to say I am right and you are wrong. You seem transfixed on the
    rules and unable to discuss any other aspect.

    Ben Thomas, Jan 17, 2005
  8. Ben Thomas

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi Ben

    How about "no shirt, no shoes, no service" ?

    I don't want to re-sell or profit from the meal, I just
    wanted to sit down and eat it. Only for my own personal
    use.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Jan 17, 2005
  9. Ben Thomas

    Mark² Guest

    As long as you're willing to comply when asked, go for it.
    My 2 cents follow...Take them or reject them... :)
    Just pick your moment carefully before doing any snapping, and keep snapping
    with the assumption that you'll have to stop within a minute or two. That
    way you'll be sure to get a couple dozen shots. Then...if they don't care,
    you can continue. I'd wait long enough to watch for different lighting
    set-ups, which may change to more/less favorable conditions as they set
    different moods. Shoot RAW if you've got it--for color balancing later.
    Or...if you're really slick/quick, take along a white piece of paper to
    quickly snap a shot to use for custom white balance. Then you'll have the
    option later to either leave your pictures under the effect of the sometimes
    strange lightning conditions as they were...or to correct them based on the
    custom balance image.

    Mark², Jan 17, 2005
  10. Ben Thomas

    Mark² Guest

    Professional performers pay a lot of attention to their "public image", and
    rely on it for marketing, etc.
    Many of them want to maintain a careful level of control over which images
    end up floating around which represent their performance because it has a
    direct impact on their perception in the public.
    When they have a professional photographer shoot images FOR them, they will
    usually have control over which shots are released to the public. This
    means they can relax and be themselves on stage without having to worry that
    a bad move, or weird/goofy expression is going to end up on the cover of
    some magazine--or more likely--on some web-site somewhere.

    I do think it's quite understandable why many artists don't want to have to
    think about being recorded for posterity every moment they are on thei own
    stage. When they are walking around in public, that different, because a
    picture of THAT is not representative of their performance.

    When you're at your job, you likely do good work most of the time.
    -But if some stranger was allowed to sit there watching you...waiting to
    snap your picture at any moment, they could surely make you look like a
    lazy, crappy worker. This knowledge would most likely become a distraction
    to you--even though you do your job well, etc.

    They want control over their public image.
    Nobody is photogenic ALL the time...and they know they need to carefully
    select what represents them.

    Mark², Jan 17, 2005
  11. Ben Thomas

    Mark² Guest

    The problem is that the performer can't know your intent.
    From their perspective, you could just as easily be ready to dump it onto
    some huge web-site for wide distribution...even if not for sale. The bottom
    line is that you look (to them) just the same as the "bad guys" with cameras
    look...so they are cautious with ALL photogs as a result of not being able
    to realisiticaly make this distinction during a concert.

    Mark², Jan 17, 2005
  12. Ben Thomas

    Drifter Guest

    I do have one point to bring up. I believe the OP is in Australia.
    I'd be careful about the legal advice as their laws may not be the
    same as, say, the U.S.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Jan 17, 2005
  13. Ben Thomas

    Larry Guest

    Because they are the RULES!!!! No exceptions, Without permission.

    You dont seem to understand the concept.

    Its like kids playing with matches.. They shouldn't do it. PERIOD!

    Larry, Jan 17, 2005
  14. Ben Thomas

    Ben Thomas Guest

    That rule isn't just for the hell of it either. Restaurants and bars/clubs with
    those rules want to maintain a certain appearance, or it's for hygiene reasons.

    Like the concert, I guess you should assume you will be kicked out if you don't
    abide by the rules of the house, and enter at your own risk, so to speak.

    Ben Thomas, Jan 17, 2005
  15. Ben Thomas

    Mark² Guest

    Did you play with matches as a kid?

    ....Me too.
    :)

    Mark², Jan 17, 2005
  16. Ben Thomas

    ZONED! Guest

    You obviously jumped to an incorrect conclusion, I simply stated a
    fact. Do not read more into my words please.
    Mark spells it out for you below.

    ZONED!, Jan 17, 2005
  17. Ben Thomas

    ZONED! Guest

    Anyone who relies on accurate legal advice in a NG is pretty naive
    IMHO.

    ZONED!, Jan 17, 2005
  18. Ben Thomas

    Larry Guest

    Yep!.. Got burned, learned why I shouldn't play with 'em.

    Larry, Jan 17, 2005
  19. Ben Thomas

    Owamanga Guest

    I may be wrong here, but I doubt you can get a decent reading for
    white balance in this situation. The style of stage lighting at these
    type of concerts is to flood the area with a strong color (and they
    change often). Attempting to balance this back to white would be
    futile and rather pointless - you *want* red Knofler when he's lit
    red, green Knofler when he's lit green etc - it's part of the
    atmosphere.

    My approach - Highest ISO (noise is atmospheric too..), no flash,
    bugger the white balance, don't put the camera to your eye, instead
    shoot from your chest - wide angle and guess the direction.

    I'd also be aware of the possibility that high volume bass frequencies
    could induce serious camera shake, maybe shoot at quieter points of
    the concert.

    Owamanga, Jan 17, 2005
  20. Ben Thomas

    Mark² Guest

    Yep!.. Got burned, learned why I shouldn't play with 'em.

    Mark², Jan 17, 2005