Photo tips for Antarctica?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Nov 2, 2007.

  1. Modern digital camera electronics will keep working at freezing
    temperatures, the problem is the batteries. So I avoid the temperature
    change and possible condensation problems by keeping the camera in an
    external waterproof pocket or bag. Where possible I'll move in the
    direction of batteries with known superior cold performance, which
    with standards like AA rechargeables are available at higher
    prices. Depending on battery life and how quickly a cold camera will
    chill them into failing, I'll keep one or more extra battery sets warm
    close to my flesh. For example I have one P&S that at zero centigrade
    temps will freeze batteries faster than I can warm them back up, so
    for it I need to rotate three or four sets to keep it going.

    I'd like the option of an internal warm remote battery pack wired
    through to the camera.

    In addition to the waterproof camera bag I carry a tough waterproof
    box which can survive being dropped in a stream and stood on with
    hiking boots to keep the camera in during rough passages. That also
    serves as the warming up box into which to put a cold camera before
    taking it into a warm fuggy place like the pub in the foothills :)

    If I'm going to be out for more than a day, I'll also carry a bigger
    waterproof box which can hold the entire camera and lenses, plus
    pretty much the same volume of silica gel dry pack bags. That's for
    overnight storage and emergencies, because in wet weather anything
    which gets wet is going to stay wet, and while a brief wetting won't
    kill most cameras immediately, prolonged wet will. You need that
    amount of silica gel in order to accomplish any serious efficient
    drying.

    However, most Scottish hill walkers I know don't do any of this. They
    carry specifically heavily waterproofed and ruggedised cameras :)
    Many of the folk I see carrying DSLRs into the winter hills tend to
    use landrovers or helicopters for transport rather than feet, or they
    don't move far from their car :)

    Chris Malcolm, Nov 12, 2007

  2. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Robert Coe Guest

    : > Whether he's
    : >right about that I'm not qualified to judge.
    :
    : Then you probably should not be making so much noise.

    Good advice. Everybody but you and I has apparently moved on.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Nov 12, 2007

  3. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Robert Coe Guest

    : TH O wrote:
    :
    : > It would be so much easier if we just didn't read this nonsense and
    : > added all these individuals to our newsreader's killfile (aka message
    : > filters). It's like the Hatfields and the McCoys here.
    :
    : Already filtered to be marked as read. BTW I didn't give any advice on
    : cold weather photography, just pointed out a troll hiding under yet
    : another name. I would use the 70-200 over the 70-300 because it simply
    : takes better pictures. A friend went to Iceland & bought that lens just
    : for the trip and the only other lens he had was the kit lens. He took
    : some great shots. I have the Nikon equivalent.

    Those are Canon lenses, aren't they? Aren't all Canon lenses made only for the
    standard Canon mount? So how is there a "Nikon equivalent"?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Nov 12, 2007
  4. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Robert Coe Guest

    : Down to about -10C, with most cameras you can ignore
    : windchill totally. That temperature won't bother the
    : camera much, though it might make your battery life
    : fairly short compared to warmer temps, depending
    : on what kind of battery the camera uses. But at that
    : temp you can keep warm batteries in your pocket and
    : swap them.
    :
    : >SO I believe we agree.....
    : >your point?
    :
    : You mentioned changing lenses too, if I remember
    : right??? That isn't much of a problem unless you are
    : someplace where the snow has melted or been blown away
    : and there is significant dust. If there's snow, there's
    : no dust...

    Well, yes, but windblown snow poses its own problems, since you definitely
    don't want water inside the camera. You may want to change lenses in a trash
    bag wherever the wind is high.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Nov 12, 2007