    about 1440 dpi.
    Would I be better off buying a negative and getting a professional to
    digitize it?

    Theseeker, Sep 25, 2004

  2. We don't know how much data is on the CD vs. how much may be on the
    print. My guess is the CD contains more information than the print. BTW
    what size is the print. An 8x10 is going to be able to hold far less
    information than a 48x60.

    Joseph Meehan, Sep 25, 2004

  3. Theseeker

    Alan Browne Guest

    What are the various technical parameters regarding the print and the CD image?
    (Size, pixels x,y)

    Do they say what size the negative(positive) is that covers that area?

    Most prints yield about 400 dpi at best. (B&W aerial photography done on high
    end cameras and repro equipment might go to 600 or so). So the larger the print
    they sell, the better.

    I'm curious: What is your use of the image going to be?

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Sep 25, 2004
  4. Theseeker

    PlaneGuy Guest

    Its simple as to why they charge more for the CD than the print - on the CD
    you have a perfect copy of the image that you can make prints from (I assume
    that the CD includes a licence to do that). On the print, you have bought a
    print, and I presume NO LICENCE to reproduce the image - ie, by you scanning
    and reprinting the image, you are breaching copyright. (* all legal
    disclaimers apply)

    If you were to by the negative, I guess that the price would be higher than
    the CD alone.

    PlaneGuy, Sep 26, 2004
  5. Theseeker

    BJ Guest

    What are the various technical parameters regarding the print and the CD image?
    The print is color A3 size. This firm joins dozens of grid squares
    together according to the land area required. I'll have to ask them
    Monday the comparitive resolution of CD and print. I'll be reproducing
    the view onto plastic for vacuum forming. Potential viewers will only
    be seeing A3 size print, they will not be zooming in, unless they use
    a magnifying glass!

    BJ, Sep 26, 2004
  6. I believe you pay more for the "negative" because you are getting the source and
    can make as many prints as you like. Most film photographers charge extra to
    supply the film.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Sep 27, 2004
  7. Theseeker

    BJ Guest

    There are no licensing conditions on either version

    theseeker

    BJ, Sep 27, 2004
  8. Theseeker

    BJ Guest

    The supplier is not being very helpful on the dpi issue. Licensing
    does not seem to come into their equation. They say one can "zoom in"
    on the CD version, there are many more pixels than on the print.
    Given that I only intend reprinting the A3 print many times without
    magnification/zooming it seems I could avoid the CD and it's price and
    stick with the paper (matt) copy?

    BJ, Sep 29, 2004
  9. prints are analog, cds are digital. anytime you convert from one to the
    other, you lose information no matter how costly your equipment.

    Yehuda Paradise, Oct 4, 2004