photo printing question - panoramas

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jmc, Jan 13, 2007.

  1. jmc

    jmc Guest

    I used to have an Epson printer, and during that time I bought some of
    their large format (8.3x254) panoramic paper.

    The Epson printer itself sucked though,and now I have a Canon Pixma
    MP500. Even tho it's a multifunction, the printer is very good, and
    creates very good photographic prints.

    No matter what I do though, I *cannot* get the Canon to print on the
    longer paper. If I can get the "custom..." paper size to work in an
    application, I get an error that the printer can't handle that size.

    I've tried in ThumbsPlus, my new Canon's apps, Photoshop Elements 2.0...

    Anybody know if there's settings that will convince my Canon printer to
    print on this paper? Any app that'll convince it that this is OK?
    Does it just not do banner type printing?

    Thanks for any help.

    jmc

    jmc, Jan 13, 2007

  2. jmc

    ASAAR Guest

    I don't have a Canon printer but seem to recall similar problems
    years ago with an HP printer where the driver refused to accept
    certain paper sizes. It turned out to be that the wrong paper type
    was selected, and the driver was "smart" enough to know that that
    type of paper wasn't available in the size I wanted to print.
    Selected a different paper type solved the problem. This may not be
    what's causing your problem, but if it is, it's easy to fix.

    ASAAR, Jan 13, 2007

  3. jmc

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, ASAAR exclaimed (14-Jan-07 9:25 AM):
    You're talking of paper types such as "glossy photo" and such? Yea, I
    tried that, didn't work. At any rate, I was originally using the same
    paper type as worked on the Epson.

    I'm sort of surprised such an otherwise capable printer doesn't seem to
    have a 'banner' mode...

    jmc

    jmc, Jan 14, 2007
  4. jmc

    Roy G Guest

    Hi.

    Can you set a custom paper size in the Printers Dialogues, instead of in the
    Application. If you can't do it then the Printer might not be capable of
    handling that paper.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jan 14, 2007
  5. jmc

    ASAAR Guest

    Yep, that's the sort of thing I was talking about. I wonder if
    it's a printer or a driver limitation? I noticed searching google
    (with "pixma mp500 banner") that from the supplied context in the
    hits, there were a number of comments that the mp500 doesn't do
    banner printing, so I suppose that for that you'll need to use a
    different printer.

    I wouldn't be too surprised if it turned out that the printer has
    that capability, but it has been disabled either by the driver or by
    the printer's firmware. For instance, there are web pages that show
    how the MP500 can be induced into printing labels on CDs. :)

    ASAAR, Jan 14, 2007
  6. jmc

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, ASAAR exclaimed (14-Jan-07 12:04 PM):
    Yea, I'm seeing the same thing. Maybe one of the photo stores in town
    will be able to print it for me. Otherwise I'll have to print across a
    couple pages to get the pano.
    Actually, that's really easy. It's built to do that, CD tray and
    everything. Prints pretty nicely too, I use it to print a photo on my
    DVDs when I back up my photos.

    jmc

    jmc, Jan 14, 2007
  7. jmc

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, Roy G exclaimed (14-Jan-07 11:46 AM):
    Well, there's a "custom" option for paper size, but it never actually
    gives me the option to put in a custom paper size, except in one app, so
    I think Canon has it in there for apps to hook into if the designers desire.

    Ah, well.

    jmc

    jmc, Jan 14, 2007
  8. jmc

    ASAAR Guest

    Easy for you to say! <g> I see now from the message header that
    you're probably located in or near Germany. Canon has disabled the
    CD printing feature in their printers sold in the USA, so to print
    on them it's necessary to buy a cheap plastic tray that fits the
    printer and follow some instructions, such as those provided by
    websites like http://pixma.allhyper.com/

    ASAAR, Jan 14, 2007
  9. jmc

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, ASAAR exclaimed (14-Jan-07 1:20 PM):
    Um, you're just a little off. Bought mine in Australia. Why would they
    disable that feature in the US? Seems counterproductive to me...

    jmc

    jmc, Jan 14, 2007
  10. jmc

    ASAAR Guest

    I'm not sure but it may have something to do with copyright
    protection and trying to reduce copying of entertainment media.
    Here (in the USA) audio cassettes and "audio" CD blanks have their
    prices raised slightly by a "fee" intended to compensate
    entertainment media and their artists for the assumed losses they'd
    incur due to unauthorized copying. I think you're right about it
    being counterproductive, as it'll probably increase the odds that my
    next printer will not be made by Canon.

    I wasn't referring to where you bought your printer, but from
    where I thought you might reside, since I briefly glanced at your
    message headers, which contain stuff like this:
    but I see now that it refers not to you but to individual.net, your
    news provider.

    ASAAR, Jan 14, 2007
  11. Very few printers (more Epson's than any others do) do not support roll or
    overly long paper. If you want to print a long panorama you have to cut it
    up and print it page by page. You can then frame each one and hang them on
    the wall very close to each other for a very nice effect. I do this often.

    ljc

    Little Juice Coupe, Jan 14, 2007
  12. jmc

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, ASAAR exclaimed (14-Jan-07 3:42 PM):
    Actually I'm American, just posted overseas. All it would do is make it
    harder to pass a copy off as the real thing. GRRR Don't get me started
    on copyright and the horrors of the RIAA/MPAA :)

    Just pick one up the next time you go to Europe, or Australia :) I'm
    bringing mine back with me, now that I know a decent CD printer will be
    hard to find at home...

    Yea. Got tired of having to change my Usenet provider every time I go
    somewhere else... individual.net was free, still really inexpensive, and
    means (like having my own domains) my Internet experience is a lot more
    "portable".

    jmc

    jmc, Jan 14, 2007
  13. jmc

    John Turco Guest

    <edited, for brevity>

    Hello, JMC:

    This Web site (Acoustica <http://www.acoustica.com>) offers an
    explanation:

    Acoustica - "I can't print directly to CD with my Canon printer
    (and I live in the United States)"
    http://www.acoustica.com/cd-label-maker/faq.asp?qID=308

    The answer, quoted from the above page:

    "Due to a marketing agreement between Epson and Canon, there are no
    direct-to-CD Canon printers sold in the United States. You may see your
    printer model in the Paper Type list, but the direct-to-CD option will
    have been disabled if you purchased the printer here in the U.S."

    Fortunately, however, Epson's disc-printers are more than "decent" and
    readily available, here. <g>

    Good luck and happy hunting!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jan 21, 2007
  14. jmc

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, John Turco exclaimed (21-Jan-07 12:13 PM):
    Thanks, John, but you misunderstand. I have the Aussie version (posted
    here) so I do have the CD print capability. That's why I'm bringing it
    home :)

    My original post had to do with trying to print panorama/banner photos
    on the same printer. Getting the distinct impression that I just can't.
    Ah well.

    jmc

    jmc, Jan 22, 2007