    Annika1980 Guest

    I'm going to Texas next week, specifically the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
    Any good places I need to check out to get some cool pics?

    Annika1980, Oct 12, 2003

  2. Annika1980

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    What kind of photography do you do? If it is scenery, I could point you one
    way, or if it is wildflowers, there are some blooming in the area right now.
    Do you like longhorn cattle? How about sunsets? Do you like football action
    or Texas Motor Speedway type shots? You need to give more information. This
    is a huge area you are going to.

    Pat in TX

    Pat, Oct 12, 2003

  3. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    From: "Pat"
    All of the above, although I won't have time for any sports stuff on the
    weekend. I would like to get either some wildflowers or sunsets. I don't do
    cows (well, there was that one time...).

    Annika1980, Oct 12, 2003
  4. (Annika1980) wrote in

    There is a big "restaurant in sky" next
    to the Hyatt in Dallas that gives a good
    view of downtown. Can't miss it - looks
    like a big microphone sticking out of the
    skyline. Dallas also has a passable
    arboretum next to White Rock lake, if you
    are into that. Then there is the usuals,
    like JFK assassination area, preserved
    village at Old City Park, some futuristic
    buildings like city hall (rent Robocop
    again - it's all there).

    Unfortunately Dallas is just a city
    on the plains, so you have stuggle for any
    kind of scenic vista stuff. No mountains
    (the X-Files movie notwithstanding) or bays.

    Mitchell Holman

    "Never ask a man if he is a Texan: if he is, you
    will know soon enough, and if he isn't, there is
    no point in embarrassing him"
    -- Sam Rayburn --

    Mitchell Holman, Oct 12, 2003
  5. Annika1980

    CSM1 Guest

    CSM1, Oct 12, 2003
  6. Annika1980

    james Guest

    Try downtown Dallas near city hall. Some very nice sculpture there. (along
    with tons of homeless people)
    The Dallas Arboretum, the Dallas Zoo. And for Dallas & Texas in general,
    THE GREAT STATE FAIR OF TEXAS !!!! Southeast of downtown.
    In Ft.Worth, Downtown Ft.Worth (several nice photos areas there).
    Northside in the Stockyards area. Billybob's Texas, White Elephant Saloon,
    more Sculpture of Longhorn cattle. The Ft.Worth Zoo, the
    Botanic Gardens and a lot of very old and interesting homes.
    It all depends on what you define as "cool". Since you work around golf
    courses, Ft.Worth has several of those too. As does Dallas.
    And if you drive out my way (80 miles West of Dallas) we have Mesquite
    Trees, rolling hills and lakes, and just East of me in Weatherford Tx., a
    lot of old Victorian style homes.
    Also in my area, the Sandhill Cranes are starting to migrate South as well
    as Geese and various other fowl.
    Whatever you find I think you will have fun.
    Enjoy Texas.
    james

    james, Oct 12, 2003
  7. Annika1980

    Ron Hunter Guest

    There are more things to photograph in the Dallas-Fort Worth area than
    you have time to take the pictures. Starting in Dallas, The Texas
    Schoolbook Depository, the 'grassy noll', the West End Marketplace, the
    JFK memorial, Love Field, various lakes and parks, the Zoo. Working
    West: Texas Stadium, the Wax Museum, Lone Star Park (horseracing), The
    Ballpark In Arlington, Six Flags over Texas, The Fort Worth Stockyards
    area. Tarrant County Courthouse, Flatiron Building, Trinity Park, Fort
    Worth Zoo, Lake Benbrook, Lake Worth, Inspiration Point. Homes in
    Westover Hills, one of the richest cities in the US. Just a starter.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 12, 2003
  8. Annika1980

    MJ Guest

    Somebody point him the way to Southfork......please.......

    MJ

    MJ, Oct 12, 2003
  9. Annika1980

    George Kerby Guest

    Not to mention around Denton I think the world's largest house. I think it's
    180,000 square feet. Read about it in Texas Magazine (Sunday paper
    supplement) a couple of weeks ago.

    George Kerby, Oct 12, 2003
  10. Annika1980

    George Kerby Guest

    I'll tell my kitty. Thought you'd be here for the LPGA tournament this
    weekend.

    George Kerby, Oct 12, 2003
  11. Annika1980

    Todd Walker Guest

    There's the "Mustangs at Las Colinas" sculpture too. Very impressive.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Oct 12, 2003
  12. Annika1980

    BoatMan Guest

    not to mention some of the best-looking women in the world

    BoatMan, Oct 12, 2003
  13. Annika1980

    George Kerby Guest

    Heres the article about the house in Denton, north of Dallas:

    CHATEAU on the Range / It'sFrench-inspired. It's near Dallas. It's
    spectacularin price and grandeur. And it's for sale by ownerswho always
    wanted a home like this - until they gotit
    By CLAUDIA FELDMAN
    Staff

    It's a five-minute drive from Interstate 35 in Denton County, past the movie
    theater, the Chili's and the mobile home park, to the Goldfield mansion.
    Presented with the right combination of words - appointment, Mrs. Goldfield,
    newspaper - the guard at the foot of the driveway presses a button and opens
    the massive gate.

    Another few minutes - the front door is still a block away - and Shirley
    Goldfield is standing in the doorway.

    She lives in one of the bigger houses in the world. The mansion she named
    Champ d'Or or House of Gold is 48,000 square feet.

    She also lives in one of the more expensive houses in the world. She thinks
    her interpretation of a 17th-century French chateau is worth $45 million.

    And she wants out.

    About a year ago, after dreaming about the house for 10 years, helping to
    build it for five years and actually living in it for two months, she
    decided to sell.

    It's not because of bankruptcy or divorce, says Goldfield, settling into a
    French antique chair in the library. She's wearing a white ruffled shirt,
    black slacks and black and white backless pumps. She looks fresh, not overly
    made up, Southern, like a magnolia blossom.

    According to one newspaper story, Goldfield and her husband, Alan, decided
    to sell because they lay in bed at night arguing over which one would make
    the incredibly long trek to the kitchen to get the Haagen-Dazs.

    Absolutely not true, she says.

    Someone else quoted her in print saying some dreams are best left
    unexplored.

    Not exactly true either, she says.

    Turns out there are a hodgepodge of reasons.

    One is that they've outgrown the house.

    Or, more accurately, they've had a lifestyle shift and don't need it.

    Of course, they didn't ever really need it, but when they started
    construction in 1997, Alan Goldfield was CEO of CellStar Corp., one of the
    largest distributors of cell phones in the world. At the time, a big, formal
    showcase for entertaining sounded like a good idea. Now he's retired, and
    though they do still entertain, it's on a smaller, more informal scale.

    Now they'd rather travel or hang with a few old friends than host power
    parties.

    Goldfield, still struggling to explain, compares the house to a painting.
    She wanted to paint a painting, she did it and now she's done, she says.

    And she is a private person, and it's nearly impossible to live privately in
    that house.

    Perhaps she was naive, even ridiculous to think she could build a house of
    such size and grandeur just 30 minutes north of Dallas, and nobody would
    notice.

    But that's what she thought.

    "There was a lot of interest I didn't expect," says Goldfield, 52. "And
    there's been the jealousy factor. At first I didn't understand, because I'm
    the first to see someone dressed nice and say, `How beautiful you look.' Or
    to see someone succeed and be so pleased for them."

    What stings the most is the recurring suggestion that Goldfield squandered
    millions on the house and luxurious touches - there are warming drawers for
    towels and chilled drawers for those extra heads of lettuce, for example -
    when the money might have been spent to help people in need.

    Even if Goldfield isn't interested in charity, critics say, it's just dumb
    to spend $45 million on a house.

    In self-defense, Goldfield says she and Alan give away lots of money to
    worthy causes. They don't brag about it, but they take their philanthropic
    responsibilities seriously.

    Still, she hates to be viewed as selfish or tacky or foolishly extravagant.

    "I don't want to be a bad steward of God's money," she says. "I firmly
    believe that God has given me everything that I have, and I need to give
    back as much as I possibly can."

    When the Goldfields have parties at the house these days, it is usually to
    raise funds for local charities. Three of her favorites are PediPlace, which
    offers free medical care to young patients in need; the Denton County
    Children's Advocacy Center, which helps abused kids; and the Denton State
    School, which serves children and adults with mental retardation.

    Goldfield agrees to interviews on two conditions: She, her husband and other
    family members are not to be photographed - their four grown sons are not
    even to be named - and interviewers must focus their questions on the house.

    Dutifully, she offers a tour that moves from a living room or grand salon
    filled with French antiques to a painted dome 78 feet high to a tea room
    modeled after a New York restaurant, Tavern on the Green, to the kitchen
    with three dishwashers.

    One, she explains, is for wine glasses only.

    She moves through the master bedroom, perhaps the most lived-in room in the
    house, and gestures toward photos of her children, grandchildren and Alan.

    They've been married 31 years.

    "He's such a handsome man," she murmurs.

    Against one wall is a large portrait of Goldfield in a light pink wedding
    gown. She looks young, beautiful, certainly bridelike, but the photo really
    was taken in Denton, 20 years after their courthouse wedding.

    Alan had seemed so regretful that she never had a wedding dress or a church
    ceremony that she decided to buy a gown, pose for a photograph and give it
    to him one Christmas.

    Her own regret now is that Alan never saw her in full regalia. She arranged
    the photo session as a surprise, then had the dress cleaned and packed away
    for safekeeping.

    She frowns. She went too far with the gift or she didn't go far enough,
    she's not sure which. She continues on the tour through a king-size
    his-and-her bathroom. She moves toward his sink, reaches into a drawer and
    pushes a button on a remote control. A TV screen appears in the middle of
    his mirror.

    She jokes, "Alan can watch the stock-market report in the morning and slit
    his throat."

    She glides on, past the indoor pool, past the wet steam room, past a
    two-story, Chanel-inspired "closet." Then she's climbing stairs, on her way
    to the theater on the second floor and the ballroom on the third. In
    addition to the ballroom, there's a third-floor catering kitchen and
    restrooms for men and women. She likes it that the women's powder room has
    two toilets.

    There also are two elevators. She steps into one and moves swiftly to the
    ground floor. More powder rooms. A room devoted solely to gift-wrapping (the
    drawer pulls are shaped like bows). There's a two-lane bowling alley with
    computerized scoring; a racquetball court; a wine cellar; a laundry room
    with a commercial washer, dryer and sheet press; and a 15-car garage.

    There are only four parked at the moment - two Mercedeses, which belong to
    her, and a Model-T and a Rolls Royce, which belong to him.

    "His toys," she says.

    Goldfield says she wants $45 million for the house, not a penny less, but
    she won't say how much it cost to build.

    One figure bandied about is $12 million.

    "That's very, very conservative," she says.

    Denton County records show the house is appraised for $13.8 million. That
    figure leaves out the 140 acres surrounding the mansion and 110 acres and at
    least four houses on the family ranch across the road.

    The Goldfields lived in one of the houses while the mansion was going up.
    The other homes are occupied by three of the sons, a daughter-in-law and a
    grandson. The eldest, Alan's son from a previous marriage, lives in the
    Houston area with his wife and two daughters.

    "They're precious," she says, and points to photographs.

    Goldfield is in the two-story library when she relents and offers a few
    background tidbits. She grew up Shirley Abernathy in Jewett in Leon County.
    Her dad was a farmer, and when he died in middle age, his wife and three
    kids were hard-pressed to put food on the table.

    To help support the brood, Shirley's mom worked as a seamstress, and Shirley
    delivered sodas and sundaes and banana splits at the local drive-in. Back
    then, there was precious little money for clothes and school supplies and no
    money for frills. College, as it turned out, was a frill.

    By 21, she was working as a secretary in Dallas, and she met Alan when she
    walked into his record-and-tape store.

    He was a native Houstonian, a hardworking grocer's son, an aspiring baseball
    player who hurt his pitching arm in the minor leagues.

    When Alan and Shirley met, he was 28, divorced, full of big ideas. Within
    three months they were married.

    It was a case, Goldfield says, of opposites attracting.

    "We had nothing in common - absolutely nothing. I think I'm the typical
    Southern belle. Everything has to be right and perfect. He is totally honest
    to the point of annoying. If he doesn't like something, he'll tell you.
    Like, `That dress looks horrid on you.'

    "But he's also very focused. He thinks on a grand scale. And that's why,
    even now, we don't put limitations on our dreams.' "

    Early in their marriage, Alan's tape-and-record store morphed into National
    Auto Center, which became the parent company for CellStar. He made some
    brilliant business moves, positioning himself to grow with a cell-phone
    industry about to explode.

    For a few years, the Goldfields stayed in Dallas, then moved to Denton. They
    wanted a small-town upbringing for their kids, a safe place that Shirley
    could navigate alone when Alan was out of town on business.

    The Goldfields were still in Denton when Shirley first started talking about
    her dream house. She was a history buff and a Francophile, and she fell in
    love with Vaux-le-Vicomte, built outside Paris by Louis XIV's finance
    minister.

    What she wanted, she thought, was her own version of the chateau in the
    Texas countryside.

    In the mid-'90s, Alan sold some CellStar stock, put the money in a special
    account, and gave Shirley the account number.

    "Go build your dream house," he said. "It's paid for."

    One of the first people she contacted to work on the project was Sterling
    Kenty, an architect and builder in Dallas.

    He was glad to build the house but he didn't want to design it, he told
    Goldfield. "I like to be outside better than in."

    Next she found an architect, J. Terry Bates, who lives and works in
    Nashville. He'd already designed some houses that Goldfield admired, and she
    flew to Tennessee to meet with him.

    "He thought I was looney-tunes, but I said, `please, come see the land.' "

    Her third soul mate on the project was Dallas interior designer David
    Corley.

    "Your job," she told him, "is to keep me from getting gaudy."

    Rarely did any member of the trio meet with Alan. The house was Shirley's
    baby, and he was usually out of town on business. He did say, however, he
    wanted a wet steam room. And once he visited with the architect. "Bigger,
    bigger, bigger," was the executive's advice.

    "The house is too big because of that," Shirley says, trying to laugh but
    really wincing. "Why did we listen to him? He didn't know how big it was
    going to turn out, either."

    Bates, Kenty and Corley remember the years spent working with Goldfield
    fondly. She respected their opinions and judgment. She loved their work and
    work ethic. Kenty actually threw in some work for free. Probably they all
    did.

    "I tried to give as much as or more than I took," Kenty says. "I don't
    believe in gouging people."

    Kenty and Corley respect Goldfield's decision to sell, but they wish she
    would give herself a little more time to get used to the space. It's hard
    for them to imagine anybody else living there.

    "I won't be a bit surprised if she doesn't start to bond with it," Kenty
    says. "Moneywise, she definitely does not need to sell."

    Bates doubts Goldfield is going to change her mind. And he's not sure she
    should.

    "It wasn't a quick decision to sell; it was something she started realizing
    and working out two years before the house was finished. She told me, `It's
    a great house to entertain and do business in. But I don't even want to be
    that kind of busy. We want to relax and enjoy ourselves.' "

    Goldfield talks longingly about moving across the road - back to the home
    she and Alan lived in as the mansion was under construction. Bates designed
    it, Kenty built it and Corley furnished it, so it is full of their magical
    touches. It's also gigantic, 18,000 square feet, but not big enough to
    attract much attention. It fits relatively simply into the Texas landscape.

    Goldfield made her first call to Dallas real estate broker Joan Eleazer in
    August 2002, just as Alan was leaving on a trip to China. If it weren't for
    responsibilities associated with the house, she would have been able to go
    with him.

    "I was really depressed," Goldfield remembers.

    Today, Eleazer says she is well into her international search for a
    qualified buyer. Thus far, she's had a couple of lookers, one from the
    Dallas area and one from Canada.

    "I don't show the house to anybody who calls," Eleazer says. "I have to have
    proof they are who they say they are, and they have funds."

    Eleazer acknowledges that there aren't many people in the world with the
    bucks required to buy the house.

    Wherever those special customers are, however, she is determined to find
    them.

    Eleazer, vice president of Briggs Freeman Real Estate Brokerage, was her
    company's top sales producer in 1999, 2000 and 2001. She's sold scores of
    houses in the Dallas area, and she plans to sell the Goldfield mansion, too.

    Naturally, neighbors do talk about the house.

    "It's beautiful," says Robert Garcia, the friendly clerk in the wine and
    beer department at the local Albertson's.

    Not so, says Betsy Boydstun, loading ice, groceries and her grandson into
    her hot car in the parking lot.

    "If I had $45 million, I would not buy a house. . . . I think we have to
    take care of America and Americans. We have elderly people eating dog food.
    We have moms and dads who can't afford to take their kids to get their teeth
    fixed."

    Boydstun shakes her head and drives away before her grandson melts and the
    ice does, too.

    At the mobile home park, Lorrie Jones says she probably wouldn't buy the
    Goldfield mansion if she had the money, either. If she were rich, says the
    housekeeping supervisor who's enjoying a precious day off, she might stay in
    her comfortable mobile home, vacation in Cancun and expand her efforts to
    rescue the wild cats in the neighborhood.

    "I've lived here three years," she says. "I've found homes for 17 cats."

    She turns in the direction of the Goldfields and says, almost to herself,
    "It's a big-ass house."

    At Chili's, waitress Shanber Laymance says she absolutely would buy the
    mansion if she had $45 million.

    "It's an awesome house," says the 19-year-old, who's been known to park
    outside the gates and just stare. "It gives everybody in the community
    something to admire and reach for."

    Laymance is working to save money for college, and she plans to major in
    business and computers. She dreams, she says, of becoming the chief
    executive officer of a major corporation.

    She flashes a smile full of hope and optimism, then returns to the job at
    hand, which is picking up dirty dishes.

    HOUSE OF GOLD

    Alan and Shirley Goldfield are trying to sell their year-old, Dallas-area
    mansion for $45 million. Some of the features that they think make it worth
    the staggering price:

    48,000 square feet

    a dome in the center of the house that is 78 feet from floor to ceiling

    a two-story, mahogany-paneled library

    a tea room patterned after the Tavern on the Green restaurant in New York

    a kitchen with three dishwashers, a Sub-Zero refrigerator and freezer, and
    six refrigerated drawers

    a garden room across the back of the house with a wall of windows that may
    be fully opened or closed

    two elevators

    draperies in the master suite that are operated electronically

    a wet steam room

    drawers that warm towels in the master bath

    a TV screen that pops out of one of the mirrors in the master bath

    indoor and outdoor pools

    an exercise room

    a theater, complete with lobby and a place to insert a popcorn machine

    guest suites with kitchens and living rooms

    a ballroom

    a caterer's kitchen next to the ballroom

    a gift-wrap room

    a two-lane bowling alley with computerized scoring

    a racquetball court

    a laundry room with a commercial washer, dryer and sheet press

    a 15-car garage

    George Kerby, Oct 12, 2003
  14. Annika1980

    George Kerby Guest

    That's just a given that I thought EVERYONE knew.
    :)

    George Kerby, Oct 12, 2003
  15. Annika1980

    Steve Young Guest

    Houston Baby O's *oh* *my!* they still around?

    Steve Young, Oct 12, 2003
  16. Annika1980

    George Kerby Guest

    Hell, Steve, it's like Joe Rogan says. That's how they give directions down
    there.
    "Make a left at The Gentleman's Club, go past Baby O's and make a right at
    The Esquire Room..."

    George Kerby, Oct 12, 2003
  17. Annika1980

    BoatMan Guest

    Cellstar (her husband's company) stock soared in 1997 and took an absolutely
    hellacious beating in 2001; maybe THAT has something to do with the
    Goldfields deciding the house is too big ??

    BoatMan, Oct 12, 2003
  18. Annika1980

    George Kerby Guest

    Good spot! She also refused to have her photograph taken for the interview.
    Wonder why?

    George Kerby, Oct 12, 2003
  19. Annika1980

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Maybe she wants to be able to shop at WalMart without drawing a crowd...

    Ron Hunter, Oct 13, 2003
  20. Annika1980

    David Guest

    Here is a picture of the Texas Star at the State Fair grounds in Dallas.
    Take a couple of months ago.
    http://tinyurl.com/qokc
    You should come in April and go to a small cemetery just North of The
    Colony, best Blue Bonnets in North Texas.
    David

    David, Oct 13, 2003