  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Planning a week-long visit to Acadia. Looking for interesting venues to shoot and, of course, the iconic views. I'd be grateful for suggestions.

    Bill, May 24, 2013

  2. Bill

    Robert Coe Guest

    : Planning a week-long visit to Acadia. Looking for interesting venues to shoot and, of course, the iconic views. I'd be grateful for suggestions.

    The quintessential shots are Cadillac Mountain at sunset (consider going for
    the west-facing overlook one down from the summit) and Thunder Hole as the
    tide is coming in. Also that lake (I forget its name) with the "Bubbles"
    (obviously it was originally the "Boobs") in the background. And there are
    attractive rock formations almost everywhere.

    My wife and I spent a couple of days there last August. A few of the shots we
    took are in one of last fall's Shoot-Ins, so take a look for them there.

    I think you'll like Acadia. The island is compact, so the major venues are
    very accessible; but with a whole week, you can venture off to some of the
    neighboring mainland that's part of the park. And if you can spare the time,
    there are photogenic little towns all along the Maine coast.

    The only downside to such a trip is that the traffic to and from can be
    brutal. So try to allow for that.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 24, 2013

  3. Bill

    PeterN Guest

    Bob Coe hit the nail when he said Cadilac Mountain. I personalty like to
    shoot at Thunder Hole, which is along the trail in the park. I have a
    thing about lighthouses.
    Just Google Maine Lighthouses: You will get something like:
    <http://www.visitmaine.com/attractions/sightseeing_tours/lighthouse/>
    Explore just outside the park on the small coastal roads, drive around
    slowly and look.
    When are you going?
    In late June and Early July the Puffins are in breeding plumage. If you
    are driving up the Coast Marshall Point Lighthouse is really
    interesting. stop in Rockport and Camden. Depending on where you are
    starting from, you should try Pemaquid at Dawn.
    <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/pemaquid at dawn.jpg>
    Also the Olson House is a place of subtle beauty. It was Andrew
    Wyeth's residence. Many of his images were inspired there.
    <http://www.farnsworthmuseum.org/olson-house>

    Of course the stops depend on your travel plans.

    We are going there in July, but plan to take at least four days driving
    up the Coast. But then it's not our first trip there.
    Hope this gets you started.
    Enjoy your visit.

    PeterN, May 25, 2013