Photo manipulation, "HDR" primarily, is all the rage...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Feb 28, 2013.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Feb 28, 2013

  2. RichA

    Mayayana Guest

    | The "Velina" "Storm" and "Stands Out" photos on this forum (at the
    | point I looked at it anyway) are all manipulated. Realism is dead...
    |
    | http://photo.net/photo-of-the-week-discussion-forum/

    Interesting isn't it, how data devalues itself? Before
    photography, painting usually aimed for realism. With
    photography, painting became "self expression", as accuracy
    in painting was no longer relevant.

    Before ubiquitous data we craved *accurate* data. Now,
    data overflows while significance is hard to find.

    People lie on their Facebook pages and call it self expression.
    Their own relationships and lives begin to become marketing,
    blending with the real marketing that masquerades as
    relationship through scam "likes".

    The message is the medium. So what's signified in such
    expression? Fantasies of freedom, titillation and choice.
    When people never really leave the world of vaguely defined
    private fantasy there's nothing to communicate. The
    "enchanted forest" photo is offered as a sort of emotional-
    masturbation aid.

    Mayayana, Mar 1, 2013

  3. RichA

    MC Guest

    I have not got a problem with HDR or any kind of manipulation being
    used to enhance what a photographer sees. What I do have a problem
    with is HDR and manipulation being "overused" to TRY and make a
    photograph look better that it ever was going to be. Photographers
    using HDR as a toy and/or as a "miracle" tool to try and make their
    crap look better by trying to make it look different, is what is all
    the rage.

    MC

    MC, Mar 1, 2013
  4. RichA

    Mayayana Guest

    | > Interesting isn't it, how data devalues itself? Before
    | >photography, painting usually aimed for realism. With
    | >photography, painting became "self expression", as accuracy
    | >in painting was no longer relevant.
    |
    | The timeline is correct, but it might be extremely
    | difficult to validate the correlation suggested.
    | Realism in painting started to go out of style well
    | prior to 1900, but "realism" in photography did not
    | become significant until at least the 1930's.

    I guess that's true. I'm not very clear about the
    specific timeline -- nor am I an art expert -- but I
    can think of things like Impressionism and the Hudson
    River School, and of course Van Gogh, that were not
    aiming for realism. Perhaps it would be more precise
    to say that while photography largely eliminated the
    need for some kinds of realism, such as portrait painting,
    our view of "real" also changed -- from monotheism and
    absolute truths to a recognition of, then celebration
    of, and finally a fetishistic obsession with, the
    sophistication and seeming freedom of the relativism
    that comes with multi-paradigmatic perception.

    When RichA posted this it reminded me of something
    I'd seen recently, where someone was characterizing
    untruths in Facebook profiles as self-expression: Truth
    and meaning as a matter of personal choice in "post-
    modern" consumer society.

    Mayayana, Mar 1, 2013
  5. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : The "Velina" "Storm" and "Stands Out" photos on this forum (at the
    : point I looked at it anyway) are all manipulated. Realism is dead...
    :
    : http://photo.net/photo-of-the-week-discussion-forum/

    And when, exactly, did "Realism" breathe its last? It must have been before
    the invention of dodge masks or specialty printing papers or tweaking the
    developer temperature or manipulating the reversal exposure or Polaroid
    filters or flashbulbs or special emulsions, etc., etc., etc.

    And as for the pompous pronouncements in that forum, give me good,
    old-fashioned Shoot-In comments any day. ;^)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Mar 1, 2013
  6. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Ideally, if the photographer is any good, a sense of 3-dimensionality
    is maintained. A 3D scene rendered flat is a failure.

    RichA, Mar 1, 2013
  7. RichA

    RichA Guest

    You do realize that all those things you mentioned were originally
    designed to create a sense of realism, right? The Zone System was not
    invented (nor burning nor dodging) to make images other-worldly and I
    can say that because I know who invented them and how they shot.
    Think the "F-64" group wasn't after realism?

    RichA, Mar 1, 2013
  8. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : >
    : > : The "Velina" "Storm" and "Stands Out" photos on this forum (at the
    : > : point I looked at it anyway) are all manipulated.  Realism is dead...
    : > :
[...]

    Perhaps what they were after might be more accurately chatacterized as
    "idealism".

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Mar 1, 2013
  9. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    But sometimes manipulation is helpful to create an impression of the
    subject:

    <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/swooper.jpg>
    and
    <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/devilish baboon.jpg>