Photo editing: monitor options

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by AD, Dec 4, 2012.

  1. AD

    AD Guest

    Wife wants my mbp13" for photo edits, low res (768 by 13xx)
    notwithstanding.

    Not willing to part with that hardware I'm thinking a decent IPS
    monitor for my win XP PC.

    Thoughts and options for the monitor.

    Must be height adjustable. Must be glare free. Must have a solid base.
    Must not have brave new world design.
    Must have at least 1200 vertical resolution

    I think the color fidelity requirement rules out all TN panels. No?

    bonus points if it still can play video without much distortion but is
    not a hard requirement
    bonus points if it's tilt adjustable

    I _AM_ on the budget :^)

    all opinions are welcome

    AD, Dec 4, 2012

  2. AD

    Rob Guest

    Difficult to get 1200V now days usually 1080 for budget screens upto
    say 24". Monitors that are both height and tilt also difficult to find
    in the budget price range. Mostly just tilt.

    I use a Samsung 24" 1920x1200 find it a good screen although a few years
    old now - but its sort of calibrated to suit my printing.

    Have you looked at pricing a TV for your monitor.

    Rob, Dec 4, 2012

  3. AD

    tony cooper Guest

    Keep the monitor. Dump the wife.

    tony cooper, Dec 4, 2012
  4. AD

    J. Clarke Guest

    FWIW, Newegg lists more than a dozen 1920x1200 monitors, starting under
    $300.

    J. Clarke, Dec 4, 2012
  5. AD

    Nick Fotis Guest

    I would suggest the Dell UltraSharp 2412M, which is IPS and has 1200
    pixels vertical resolution (if my memory works well)

    Cheers,
    N.F.

    Nick Fotis, Dec 4, 2012
  6. AD

    Peter Jason Guest

    Mine is a Benq that cost $1000. Whichever you get
    be sure it has spare USB connections (hubs) in the
    top (for webcams) and at the sides for mouses and
    flash drives.

    Peter Jason, Dec 4, 2012
  7. AD

    Suze Guest

    HP makes a nice 24-in IPS 1200x1920 that has a fully adjustable and
    pivot stand
    HP ZR2440w
    runs in the $350-$400 range.
    I have a non-IPS HP version similar to this one and I totally love it.

    Suze, Dec 5, 2012
  8. AD

    AD Guest

    where I live it seems more than $450
    me thinks i'll have someone lug one from the states
    which is why I'll probably avoid buying dell at all costs given that
    quality controls are lax
    and brightness is inline with sugar amount in american yogurts

    AD, Dec 5, 2012
  9. AD

    AD Guest

    i was pondering that thought actually for quite a while, but she just
    won't leave

    AD, Dec 5, 2012
  10. AD

    Rob Guest

    Here I have a Dell ultra sharp 1905 FP 19" which I have had since 2005
    (made week 38/2005) its a nice screen but as you say too bright as a
    standard gamma. I now use this as a spare test monitor when I build or
    repair PC's but it still works just too small.

    The other consumer Dells were not as sharp.

    Rob, Dec 5, 2012
  11. AD

    AD Guest

    No. I was assuming they all max out at 1080 vertical.
    should I widen the search to include TV?

    AD, Jan 10, 2013
  12. AD

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Jan 11, 2013