    I'd like one that looks like a proper 2-piece telephone, rather than
    just a handset with a USB cable attached, if you see what I mean?

    Does such a thing exist?

    Steve Loft, Jul 29, 2005

  2. Steve Loft

    Nick Guest

    Why bother? These are just "additional" sounds cars that can cause
    conflicts.
    If you must use X-Lite then stick with a headset and microphone.

    Nick, Jul 29, 2005

  3. Steve Loft

    Ivor Jones Guest

    The Cybrphone K works ok with Skype, but for a SIP based system I would go
    with a hardware ATA and use an ordinary phone. The audio quality is *far*
    superior to anything you will ever get with a PC and you don't have to
    have a PC on. You can use a DECT cordless phone if you want also, why tie
    yourself to a PC when you want to make phone calls..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 29, 2005
  4. Steve Loft

    Steve Loft Guest

    Because I don't want to have to pull on a headset every time the phone
    rings.

    Steve Loft, Jul 29, 2005
  5. Steve Loft

    Ian Guest

    Having recently done some testing on this, I will assure you that the
    quality is negligable, The comapirson was done with a Cisco ata with a dect
    on one port and aub 3 on the other, Mitel and budgetone hard phones and
    xlite and firefly softphones, with a basc usb handset. The sound source was
    voice and MP3.

    Comparison was subjective and also with a scope and mic to look at the wave
    forms.

    Other than wasting half a day it showed little difference audibly, and
    subjectivley no significant difference was seen. from a user point of view.
    As to usabilty the hardphone came top fo office and home use with the
    softphone beng favorite for mobile use, the ATA being bottom for this.

    Ian

    Ian, Jul 29, 2005
  6. Steve Loft

    co.uk Guest

    Agreed I find the audio quality between my Sirura used with Sipgate
    PAP2 with Vonage and EyeBeam softphone used with Sipphone is
    negligible .

    co.uk, Jul 29, 2005
  7. Thus spaketh Steve Loft:

    So get an ATA instead and do the job properly.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jul 29, 2005
  8. Steve Loft

    Steve Loft Guest

    Can I connect to two service providers at the same time with an ATA?

    Steve Loft, Jul 29, 2005
  9. Steve Loft

    Graham Guest

    Probably less debilitating than having to *hold* a handset to your head.
    At least both hands are free.

    I cant help wondering that if the telephone had been invented more recently
    than 130 years ago, the "handset" as we know it today, would not be the most
    popular method of interfacing with the PSTN.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Jul 29, 2005
  10. Steve Loft

    Dave Gill Guest

    Yes (depending on the ATA you choose, of course).

    You also have a choice of how the ATA handles the two providers: both
    forwarded to one phone port (Sipura 1001) or two separate phone ports
    (Sipura 2000, 2100 etc, Linksys PAP2).

    Dave Gill, Jul 29, 2005
  11. Steve Loft

    7 Guest

    Yes but only for Skype service.

    You are better off buying a VoIP WiFI handset and a WiFI router.
    Then you can connect all the time around the house to VoIP and
    move around the house freely with your handset.

    7, Jul 29, 2005
  12. Steve Loft

    Nick Guest

    Rubbish, VoIP WiFI handset are difficult to setup, have very poor
    coverage compared with WiFI network devices and are very expensive.

    Much better using a DECT unit into a suitable interface.

    Nick, Jul 29, 2005
  13. Steve Loft

    co.uk Guest

    Exactly WiFI is crap in any shape or form I wouldn't give it house
    room personally .

    co.uk, Jul 29, 2005
  14. Steve Loft

    Mike Bentley Guest

    I have heard that voiptalk are going to launch a usb phone shortly for
    around 15 quid.

    Mike

    Mike Bentley, Jul 31, 2005