    fiber cabinet which is next to the normal cabinet.
    Regards
    David

    David, Nov 11, 2014

  2. Gordon Freeman

    Scott Guest

    Mine (built 1908) has the cable coming from the telegraph pole in
    through the bathroom window (cue Beatles song) to a lozenge there. It
    then followed a circuitous route via a junction box to the master
    socket in the hall. I got a guy (ex BT) to replace the cable with a
    direct run - no joins. The master socket has a filtered faceplate.

    I have retained two extension sockets that don't seem to present any
    difficulty.

    Scott, Nov 11, 2014

  3. Gordon Freeman

    NY Guest

    Our house still has a GPO junction box (rectangular with a large screw in
    the centre - is that a lozenge?) with two candy cables coming out: one to
    the downstairs BT socket and one to the upstairs BT socket. I have been told
    that if we ever upgraded to FTTC and VDSL, Openreach would put the master
    socket where the lozenge is and make both extensions filtered phone-only. If
    I was *very* lucky they may insert a modern junction box between the drop
    cable and the candy cables and make one BT socket the master - but only at
    the expense of disconnecting the other altogether. There isn't enough spare
    candy cable from the upstairs socket to reach the other BT socket - and the
    candy cable is buried in the plaster rather than threaded between skirting
    board and carpet so it can't simply be replaced with a longer length or
    rerouted. Whoever installed the phone line in the house originally (going
    back many decades) didn't exactly make it easy!

    ADSL is so much easier because it has lower standard for cabling: I've run a
    cheap ribbon-cable phone extension cable from the upstairs socket (which for
    some reason is on the landing, not in one of the bedrooms) under carpets,
    under the metal carpet-covering strips in bedroom doorways and along the
    skirting board to the router. Try burying Cat 5 between the modem (on the
    landing) and the router (in my study) under metal strips! It would have to
    go up and over the doorframes so it would look very unsightly and SWMBO
    would probably have a fit. The alternative is router downstairs with Cat 5
    to a Homeplug to get the Ethernet upstairs. Wireless would be a better
    alternative but I've found that it is inclined to drop out and need PC
    and/or router resetting - and I like to be able to access my PC remotely via
    TeamViewer when I'm on holiday, when a quick reboot is not an option if the
    router-PC comms goes down.

    NY, Nov 11, 2014
  4. Gordon Freeman

    Scott Guest

    This was my fear if they got involved - master socket in the bathroom
    where it is impossible to install a router :)

    That is why I got an ex BT guy to assess and carry out the work. I
    even bought a new lozenge on the Interet to replace the one that had
    been painted over. No idea where it came from but it's marked 'GPO'.

    Scott, Nov 11, 2014
  5. Gordon Freeman

    Zomaar Guest

    "NY" wrote in message

    I'm all for eliminating house wiring that's not needed, especially if it's
    unfiltered and especially if the house is a long way from the exchange. One
    of my customers lives about 3 miles from the exchange and the cable comes
    across the fields (either on overhead cables or underground). She's been
    told that even though North Yorkshire is rolling out FTTC to almost
    everywhere, there are very few people and those that there are live hundreds
    of yards apart, so FTTC is unlikely and may still give long lengths of
    copper if a cabinet is installed somewhere nearby: wherever it is put, some
    people will still live a long way from it. So she's stuck with about 500
    kbit/sec downstream.

    How much will ADSL be degraded by RF pickup in the house wiring, compared
    with the amount picked up on the wire between the pole and the house
    (assuming overhead wiring)? I presume it's twisted pair from the pole to the
    exchange, but untwisted from the point at which each house's feed leaves the
    bundled cable in the street.

    The problem with BT's modern approach is that they put the master socket in
    one place and you are stuffed if you want your router anywhere else so as to
    be able to connect it by Ethernet to PCs and don't want to use Homeplug to
    achieve this. A least with the older strategy you have unfiltered throughout
    the house and can choose where to put the router.

    I wonder what they do in new houses? My house, 10 years old, had its master
    socket right by the front door where there was no room for a router and no
    mains socket to power it. At least because I had unfiltered throughout the
    house, I could plug the router into any of the sockets that the builder had
    installed and connected back to the (unfiltered) faceplate of the master
    socket.

    I've always wondered: even when you have an underground cable, why is it
    that BT usually have the cable coming up out of the ground on the *outside*
    of the house where anyone can cut it between there and the point where it
    goes through the wall. Why not have the trunking come up through the
    concrete floor inside the house?

    It allows any potentially dangerous gases in the underground duct to vent
    out before entering your house...HTH, A

    Zomaar, Nov 11, 2014
  6. Gordon Freeman

    Graham. Guest

    Graham., Nov 12, 2014
  7. well maybe internet access makes hermits of us all..

    The Natural Philosopher, Nov 12, 2014
  8. Gordon Freeman

    Woody Guest

    I had the same problem so got some similar to this stuff.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultra-Thin-CAT-6-Male-Ethernet-Cable/dp/B00F53HSQG
    Slips under the door rail (if it is an underside gripper)
    and down the edge of the carpet along the skirting without
    problem and works a treat. Just Google ultra-thin CAT5. I
    think mine came from CPC and cost about £4 for a 5m length.

    Woody, Nov 12, 2014
  9. With the older strategy you have telephone cables to sockets around
    the house. With the new strategy you have ethernet cables to sockets
    around the house. Not much of a difference in practical terms.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Nov 12, 2014
  10. "Graham." wrote

    Dictionary front ends and spell checkers that will offer alternatives for
    correctly spelt words are sadly rare.

    Few will offer you 'censor' when you typed 'censer'.

    I do award a silver star to the one that suggested 'straight forward' might
    be wrong and suggested 'straightforward' .

    Michael R N Dolbear, Nov 12, 2014